• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FOOTBALL SCHOOL..

Exactly. When your absolute ceiling as a football program is nine win season...

Our absolute ceiling is 9 wins but in 2006 we won 11? How’s that work? Remember John Wolford’s senior year when you claimed Clawson was a loser and Wolford should be benched? Your football takes are not strong.

Yes..it may be seen as a bandage today..Football as a temporary salve until you regain your “mo” from Skip’s tenure.

But it isn’t in the cards. Wake Forest is at the cross-roads..innumerable voices say “no way..no chance a small private school can compete in football. I perused your new facilities and I say you are mistaken. Look, the Petitbon commitment is exhibit A. Here a legendary NFL fam gets behind one of its own to attend WF and chase the NFL dream at Wake Forest. This is much larger than you can imagine and actually bears some mythical football markings — the first son, Ritchie, wound up part of the greatest dynasty in college history at Alabama. Ritchie was the #62 overall player and #5 G in the US. A knee in 2016 derailed the most vital part of his career with the Crimson Tide.

Now, it falls to the younger..and as if RE-scripted to correct the ‘Steely Dan Record’ as it were.. the confidence Luke and his family have in choosing ‘Deacon Blue’ will reverberate. The families out there are in tune with football, it’s history and legacy. It means a lot to the families of recruits to see where this “NFL Family” is behind their son’s decision for Wake Forest.

It is a terrific shot in the arm for David Clawson and his staff — Nic T in this instance. It is an enormous symbolic “get” that will resonate with this 2020 recruiting campaign. This cannot be over stated. Not only is Luke a top 500 national prospect and top 30 OG-C prospect but he is a bell-cow type of recruit.

I cannot begin to tell you the “night and day” difference between the prospects today and even those of Grobe’s best years.

Yes, many are still young..but never, ever, never have the Deacons had the type and number of pure football athletes as WE do today. I use “WE” liberally, I understand. But I am on your side and politics or anything else be damned!

I am so dam excited to see next years incarnation that it is hard for me not to grab the guy the guy on the street and exclaim “have you had a chance to see this guy, Dave Clawson, and what he is accomplishing at WF?”

* God Bless Wake Forest and it’s alumni..May they please, Lord, see the jewel in their presence and never find the day when “we realize too late” the blessing that has fallen right here in our laps.

Those who know my posting realize my loyalty to Jim Grobe (tied Peahead as the winningest WF Football Coach) and also remember my talking of the “EVOLUTION” of Wake Football. David Clawson stands on the shoulders of Jim Caldwell and JG.. he is the natural progression from our ‘Tough Guy’ instilling mentality to the All Time Winningest Coach in program history to this guy..a guy from the legendary “Cradle of Coaches” (Paul Brown,Parseghian, Schembechler, Hayes, Meyer)..a guy who did at Bowling Green what Urban Meyer could not..Win the MAC Championship and essentially run Dave Doerren to NCSU from NIU. He will do the same here — Dave Doerren is being hunted and he and Cutcliffe will be the first scalps taken in Clawson’s reign.

Mark this well. It has been seen.

Clawson “essentially ran” Dave Doeren from NIU to NCSU?? He would’ve passed up an ACC job but couldn’t stand the thought of remaining in conference with Dave Clawson?!

[Remembers State’s recent losses to Wake]

Eh, fine, let’s go with that.

When Wake basketball was good we were a top basketball school, at a minimum above average. If we are a football school our normal best is average punctuated with below average years, yay!

Football ceiling is as high right now as the basketball ceiling. How many millions have been wasted trying to recreate the glory of 1960 something? What is the definition of insanity? One sport is on a positive course, the other has been dead for a decade.

Like most of you, I wasn’t born when Wake made it’s only final four. Give me a 9 win football team any day over a 2nd round tourney exit basketball team, since that seems to be both sports’ ceiling.

A school that’s never signed a 5 star recruit cannot be considered a football school.

A school that has made basketball their main priority for 100+ years and has nothing to show for it, shouldn’t call themselves a basketball school and should strongly reconsider their priorities.

you guys are both wrong

we're a tennis, golf, and soccer school

don't invite us to the country club, because we will kick your ass

Clawson “essentially ran” Dave Doeren from NIU to NCSU?? He would’ve passed up an ACC job but couldn’t stand the thought of remaining in conference with Dave Clawson?!

[Remembers State’s recent losses to Wake]

Eh, fine, let’s go with that.

I know it’s rare..but I am practicing a lighter touch. :) Let’s just say that those 2 fan bases won’t put up with consistent losses to the Deacons. No secret there..just redirecting the focus back to recruiting wins in parts of the state where those schools have strong ties. WF is already flexing its muscle as a school that not only “id’s” players (kids like that early recognition) and now has the developmental support system and NFL accommodations needed to attract the higher profile kids in the 5-6 hour-by-car radius. WF wants to be a stronger player the next time a kid like Triad product K.J. Henry or Quavaris Crouch from greater Charlotte. Get into the legitimate conversation for more of the elite area players. Of course you continue to work the Crab State upward into northward regions for the OL bigguns Tabacca loves grooming giving even more spirited battles against the likes of Notre Dame, BC, Virginia, and Penn State.

Exactly. When your absolute ceiling as a football program is nine win season, you better hope your basketball program is good enough to sustain long term fan interest.

That being said, now that Wellman will gone, I will be attending a few football and soccer games next season, I can enjoy them without thinking about Manning. But I'm one of the few hundred non-alumni who still have any interest in Wake athletics. Basketball and Wellman have significantly shrunk the fan base. Because its not like most of the newer alumni stick around.

How many non-alum fans know who the AD is?

How many non-alum fans know who the AD is?

I bet most do. Wake doesn’t have the type of non alum fan that a uNC does. Most are local and follow Wake athletics pretty close. I know fans of uNC that have never stepped foot in the Smith Center or whatever their football stadium is called.

I know it’s rare..but I am practicing a lighter touch. :) Let’s just say that those 2 fan bases won’t put up with consistent losses to the Deacons. No secret there..just redirecting the focus back to recruiting wins in parts of the state where those schools have strong ties. WF is already flexing its muscle as a school that not only “id’s” players (kids like that early recognition) and now has the developmental support system and NFL accommodations needed to attract the higher profile kids in the 5-6 hour-by-car radius. WF wants to be a stronger player the next time a kid like Triad product K.J. Henry or Quavaris Crouch from greater Charlotte. Get into the legitimate conversation for more of the elite area players. Of course you continue to work the Crab State upward into northward regions for the OL bigguns Tabacca loves grooming giving even more spirited battles against the likes of Notre Dame, BC, Virginia, and Penn State.
Hard to get a KJ Henry when you fired his dad.

Lectro. Version 3.0. I'll wait for others to download before I infect my computer.

CraftyClumsyBalloonfish-size_restricted.gif

I bet most do. Wake doesn’t have the type of non alum fan that a uNC does. Most are local and follow Wake athletics pretty close. I know fans of uNC that have never stepped foot in the Smith Center or whatever their football stadium is called.

I agree, skinny. Non-alum here and I know everything there is to know. I think most non-alum Wake fans are pretty knowledgeable. You don't find bandwagon fans here.

A school that’s never signed a 5 star recruit cannot be considered a football school.

Is that a rule? Does that mean Butler can't be a basketball school because they have not had a 5 star basketball recruit? What are the other rules? Does it matter if a school has 3 star recruits that have become first round NFL draft picks?

I agree, skinny. Non-alum here and I know everything there is to know. I think most non-alum Wake fans are pretty knowledgeable. You don't find bandwagon fans here.

Certainly if you post on here, you know Wellman is the AD. But Wake fans (alums or not) that are not message boards have no idea who the AD is.

Yes, it can.

I'm a long-time Wake alum.
I now say we are a football school, so we are.
You can't change my mind.

Yes, it can.

I'm a long-time Wake alum.
I now say we are a football school, so we are.
You can't change my mind.

This is Wake Forest today..

One last note on McCollum.. is he really at 248 pounds!?

Back