• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buzz > Manning

Buzz did not have the personality to be a college coach especially at wake. Buzz could coach, the team ran decent offensive sets. The biggest problem for those teams was that DT and CMM got fouled more than any combo in the league and were terrible free throw shooters. I’ve never understood the hate toward buzz. He was awkward yes, and should’ve been out earlier but compared to manning he is wooden.

Danny manning is an aloof asshole. He is also a terrible coach. Terrible. It is astounding his lack of skil considering his time in the game. Now he does deserve the ire he is getting.

Agree

Buzz did not have the personality to be a college coach especially at wake. Buzz could coach, the team ran decent offensive sets. The biggest problem for those teams was that DT and CMM got fouled more than any combo in the league and were terrible free throw shooters. I’ve never understood the hate toward buzz. He was awkward yes, and should’ve been out earlier but compared to manning he is wooden.

Danny manning is an aloof asshole. He is also a terrible coach. Terrible. It is astounding his lack of skil considering his time in the game. Now he does deserve the ire he is getting.

You must not have been around in Bz's first season when he said, "The people criticizing me have never built anything successful." That was January 21, 2011, when he had already notched losses to Stetson, Winthrop, UNCW, and Presbyterian. Meanwhile, we were 0-4 in conference, @NCSU 69-90, vs. Maryland 55-74, @VPI 65-94. Our most recent game, at Georgia Tech, was so pathetic that the color guy actually said, "I know we're not supposed to cheer for one team over another, but I really hope Wake Forest gets a basket this half." We did get that field goal with 7:28 left in the half (had three free throws up to that point), en route to a 74-39 loss to a team that finished 13-18 (5-11).

Bz earned every bit of personal animus he received with his condescension and refusal to accept responsibility for his failures.

Why do we need to differentiate between them. They’re both awful, for different reasons. we just span the spectrum of awful coaches but that spectrum is where we live.

These clowns have two things in common. Awful college coach and they both nailed the interview with ronnie. 0retty sure that second point says a lot more about ronnie.

The idea that Manning was going to go for anything less than the full buyout was always a little naive. I think people have forgotten that he negotiated through the media in 2014.

I forgot this. Can you explain?

I definitely forgot that. He played hard to get. No question we could have gotten a better coach from a low major for $500K.

Still can. This is what I don't understand. Fire his ass and keep paying him for a decade for all I care. Hire a coach with some potential for 500K or whatever and move on. I am and have been at the point for a long time that I'd rather take some long shots on young guys than the bullshit we've been watching. And it's hysterical the talk about all these coaches that aren't ready for WF or the ACC. We'd be lucky to get any of them. We could hire a coach from one of the local high schools and I wouldn't bat an eye. If the buyout is too much then invest 500K more and take some chances. I'd show up to watch that.

Still can. This is what I don't understand. Fire his ass and keep paying him for a decade for all I care. Hire a coach with some potential for 500K or whatever and move on. I am and have been at the point for a long time that I'd rather take some long shots on young guys than the bullshit we've been watching. And it's hysterical the talk about all these coaches that aren't ready for WF or the ACC. We'd be lucky to get any of them. We could hire a coach from one of the local high schools and I wouldn't bat an eye. If the buyout is too much then invest 500K more and take some chances. I'd show up to watch that.

+1

Wellman calls the shots from behind the scenes, after retirement.

This!! I give anything if Wake truly hired a high school coach... I would not miss a home game, I guarantee it would be much better coaching.. Screw us!! I truly can't stand Manning, he is a dick and brings down the program in every way. Sad.. Fuck You Ron Wellman..

Jeff [Redacted] fucking sucked. He...was...terrible. Just because manning sucks too doesn't mean we should forget just how bad the bztanic was.

Perhaps the most disappointing part of Manning’s tenure is that he has made us question how bad [Redacted] was. [Redacted] was way worse as a coach. However, somehow Wellman has managed Manning’s tenure even worse than Oh Heavens Yes or Historically Competitive [Redacted].

When you start to think [Redacted] was better, try to imagine this place if [Redacted] has been given another year. After Bzdeliks 3rd year most of us were calling for a firing. After 4th it was 98%.

After Manning’s 3rd year 50% of us were cautiously optimistic. 35% were bandwagon on board and about 15% were silently expecting failure.

After year 4 (before transfers) it was probably 60% calling for a change, 30% maintaining some optimism and looking at year 5 as a litmus, 10% still on board.

After year 5 it’s 98% to fire him....and yet we are all now being forced to ‘cheer’ for Manning at the helm of our schools team. I honestly feel we are taking this all pretty well. Perhaps it is the general beatdown of the last decade but if Wellman has a legacy with regards to our program it is that many of us have simply lowered the priority of cheering for our alma mater in favor of other things.

Probably good for our souls, but when you are managing a brand that is a really bad thing. But please as bad as Manning has been (and his last two years have been epic) let’s not conflate Wellmans escalation of bad decisions with a supposed escalation of bad coaches.

[Redacted] ruined our program. Manning simply failed to regenerate it. Wellman’s decisions have prolonged our time in the grave.

Yeah those were all huge upsets, not an indication of “historical competitiveness” because they were surrounded by tons of totally one sided 20ish point conference losses.

Mannings this year was so bad because he has regressed to the level at which [Redacted]’s teams lost so badly. There was once hope under Manning but it turned out that was only due to having transcendent pro talent for a year. There was never hope under [Redacted].

I don’t give a shit about beating “#18 talented NC State team.” We’re SUPPOSED to win those games regularly because that’s the level we were at!

Golf clapping about occasional upsets is LOWF nonsense

Back