• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buzz > Manning

well. this is the bottom. pit of hell. we are actually arguing about which coach sucks the worst. for fuck sakes wake forest basketball. sad

giphy.gif

If Manning could have retained the players that Buzz left, he had the makings of at least an NIT team in year one.

[Redacted]'s last time was dominated by Fr and So and finished 17-16 (6-12).

Both are really bad but I prefer Bz personally. I think finishing KP 170 or whatever in year 5 of a tenure is the worst coaching mark of the 9 year run. Worse than 260 in year 1, like Bz put out in 2011.

Still can. This is what I don't understand. Fire his ass and keep paying him for a decade for all I care. Hire a coach with some potential for 500K or whatever and move on. I am and have been at the point for a long time that I'd rather take some long shots on young guys than the bullshit we've been watching. And it's hysterical the talk about all these coaches that aren't ready for WF or the ACC. We'd be lucky to get any of them. We could hire a coach from one of the local high schools and I wouldn't bat an eye. If the buyout is too much then invest 500K more and take some chances. I'd show up to watch that.

Well stated. I won’t buy my $880 per seat (gouged) season tickets until DM is gone. I’ll watch on TV out of curiosity and hope the players coach themselves enough to compete with some ACC teams. Might even buy $3 tickets once or twice during the season. I’m out on giving a damn if we win or lose.

Perhaps the most disappointing part of Manning’s tenure is that he has made us question how bad [Redacted] was. [Redacted] was way worse as a coach. However, somehow Wellman has managed Manning’s tenure even worse than Oh Heavens Yes or Historically Competitive [Redacted].

When you start to think [Redacted] was better, try to imagine this place if [Redacted] has been given another year. After Bzdeliks 3rd year most of us were calling for a firing. After 4th it was 98%.

After Manning’s 3rd year 50% of us were cautiously optimistic. 35% were bandwagon on board and about 15% were silently expecting failure.

After year 4 (before transfers) it was probably 60% calling for a change, 30% maintaining some optimism and looking at year 5 as a litmus, 10% still on board.

After year 5 it’s 98% to fire him....and yet we are all now being forced to ‘cheer’ for Manning at the helm of our schools team. I honestly feel we are taking this all pretty well. Perhaps it is the general beatdown of the last decade but if Wellman has a legacy with regards to our program it is that many of us have simply lowered the priority of cheering for our alma mater in favor of other things.

Probably good for our souls, but when you are managing a brand that is a really bad thing. But please as bad as Manning has been (and his last two years have been epic) let’s not conflate Wellmans escalation of bad decisions with a supposed escalation of bad coaches.

[Redacted] ruined our program. Manning simply failed to regenerate it. Wellman’s decisions have prolonged our time in the grave.

both are bad, but under what metric is [Redacted] “way worse?”

Perhaps the most disappointing part of Manning’s tenure is that he has made us question how bad [Redacted] was. [Redacted] was way worse as a coach. However, somehow Wellman has managed Manning’s tenure even worse than Oh Heavens Yes or Historically Competitive [Redacted].

When you start to think [Redacted] was better, try to imagine this place if [Redacted] has been given another year. After Bzdeliks 3rd year most of us were calling for a firing. After 4th it was 98%.

After Manning’s 3rd year 50% of us were cautiously optimistic. 35% were bandwagon on board and about 15% were silently expecting failure.

After year 4 (before transfers) it was probably 60% calling for a change, 30% maintaining some optimism and looking at year 5 as a litmus, 10% still on board.

After year 5 it’s 98% to fire him....and yet we are all now being forced to ‘cheer’ for Manning at the helm of our schools team. I honestly feel we are taking this all pretty well. Perhaps it is the general beatdown of the last decade but if Wellman has a legacy with regards to our program it is that many of us have simply lowered the priority of cheering for our alma mater in favor of other things.

Probably good for our souls, but when you are managing a brand that is a really bad thing. But please as bad as Manning has been (and his last two years have been epic) let’s not conflate Wellmans escalation of bad decisions with a supposed escalation of bad coaches.

[Redacted] ruined our program. Manning simply failed to regenerate it. Wellman’s decisions have prolonged our time in the grave.

Wake Forest has lost 20+ games six times since starting the basketball in 1906. Danny Manning has "coached" for 3 of those 6 seasons. (You can throw in a 19 loss season for good measure, too).

It's a volume game at this point. Manning has been around 1.5x longer than Redacted and has performed as badly or worse.

I honestly don't think redacted is a horrible coach. He was a horrible college coach that had no business coaching college basketball. As an NBA assistant, I'm sure he's good at his job, but he could not motivate or recruit college kids.

Both are really bad but I prefer Bz personally. I think finishing KP 170 or whatever in year 5 of a tenure is the worst coaching mark of the 9 year run. Worse than 260 in year 1, like Bz put out in 2011.

Obviously we weren't going anywhere fast, but we did actually get better each year under [Redacted]. Manning's teams improved year over year once (Y3, obviously).

both are bad, but under what metric is [Redacted] “way worse?”

He wasn’t one of the greatest college basketball players of all time. That’s about it.

I personally hated [Redacted] with a passion. By the time Danny came, I had no more hate to give. I'm nearing indifference.

OMG, ESPNU is replaying it's preseason roundtable with Bennett, the pack guy and our own Danny Manning. He sounds just as lost as he did 5 months ago....Facepalm

manning did two interviews today. was looking for transcripts and found this gem

i think glenn took mercy and never brought up anything - or at least he didn't provide any quotes on the obvious elephant in the room

Its Bzzzz damnit. Buzz Williams coaches VT..
their is no "u" in redacted's name...change the thread title!!

Back