• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How has Nathan Hatch survived this unscathed?

WFU1977

Reaction score
Wellman was grossly negligent and incompetent negotiating an unnecessary, premature contract extension to someone who did not earn it, and then did not pay attention to the buyout clause. In total, an $18 million guaranteed contract for a terrible coach. Wellman has voluntarily or been forced to retire, but Hatch must be held accountable. This gross malfeasance happened on his watch, and he and his CFO had to have approved this contract. Hatch needs to come clean, publicly disclose the terms of Danny's contract, disclose who in the WFU administration signed off on it, and explain how the hell this happened. If it happened because Wellman effectively reported to no one, then this must finally be fixed, and the AD must come under the purview of both the administration and the BOT. Hatch should be required to disgorge his bonuses for the last 5 years, and then give a public apology. Complete lack of leadership and accountability. If this happened at any public company, Hatch would have been fired last week.

Also, "I'm not the athletic director."

Oh, thats so right. Lets get a chardonnay natey boy!

While you're not necessarily wrong about this, people need to get it through their heads that universities are not run like corporations, nor should they be.

While you're not necessarily wrong about this, people need to get it through their heads that universities are not run like corporations, nor should they be.

I agree with that. But that is no excuse for a complete lack of transparency and accountability. This is a self inflicted wound and it tells me that Natty O' is asleep at the switch. What a colossal waste of a lot of money.

Wellman and Hatch are the same! They care not about athletics

Good take but Capt is right; no one (esp. Hatch) cares.
Only when major alumni donors keep their hands in their pockets and shout, loudly and frequently, from the mountaintops will anything change.
Not sure why they appear content with this mediocrity, that has gone on for way too long.

Good take but Capt is right; no one (esp. Hatch) cares.
Only when major alumni donors keep their hands in their pockets and shout, loudly and frequently, from the mountaintops will anything change.
Not sure why they appear content with this mediocrity, that has gone on for way too long.

Mediocrity? I would love some mediocrity right now. There is no mediocrity, we fucking suck.

This is the typical hypocrisy of smug academic elites. Academic elites like to hold themselves out as far more noble in purpose than money-grubbing "corporations" but these same elites are more than happy to demand corporate CEO-level compensation packages in the name of "paying a market price" for high-level academic bureaucrats.

Nathan Hatch is one of the most highly paid college presidents in the US, pulling down comp well into seven figures. Ron Wellman is one of the most highly paid ADs in the ACC and USA. But don't dare ask about accountability for their management failures! They are ACADEMICS, pure of heart who cannot be compared to those money-grubbing corporate types. Don't dare question their salaries or expect them to hold themselves accountable.

I love Wake Forest but Wake has become a racket, just like American higher education in general. The students and their families are charged obscene prices to attend while a handful of favored academic elites pull down obscene salaries, while a supine Board of Trustees comprised of wealthy potted plants contents itself with attending nice dinners and sitting in the president's box, while NEVER interfering with the actual management -- or mismanagement -- of the enterprise.

Last edited:

One man’s biased opinion stated as fact.

This is the typical hypocrisy of smug academic elites. Academic elites like to hold themselves out as far more noble in purpose than money-grubbing "corporations" but these same elites are more than happy to demand corporate CEO-level compensation packages in the name of "paying a market price" for high-level academic bureaucrats.

Nathan Hatch is one of the most highly paid college presidents in the US, pulling down comp well into seven figures. Ron Wellman is one of the most highly paid ADs in the ACC and USA. But don't dare ask about accountability for their management failures! They are ACADEMICS, pure of heart who cannot be compared to those money-grubbing corporate types. Don't dare question their salaries or expect them to hold themselves accountable.

I love Wake Forest but Wake has become a racket, just like American higher education in general. The students and their families are charged obscene prices to attend while a handful of favored academic elites pull down obscene salaries, while a supine Board of Trustees of rich potted plants contents itself with attending nice dinners and sitting in the president's box, while NEVER interfering with the actual management of the enterprise.

90.gif

My source is telling me that the money was there to buyout Manning but Wellman wanted one big last F U to everyone and wanted to show everyone whos boss. Went completely against most big donors and what everyone wanted. Major Drama.

My source is telling me that the money was there to buyout Manning but Wellman wanted one big last F U to everyone and wanted to show everyone whos boss. Went completely against most big donors and what everyone wanted. Major Drama.

I bet Goodman would be into this.

The big donors basically pushed Wellman out so he wanted to show em whos really boss before he was out.

The big donors basically pushed Wellman out so he wanted to show em whos really boss before he was out.

If there is one ounce of truth to this statement, and I'm not saying there isn't, then John Currie knows exactly what he has to do on May 2nd, 2019. Next year is already fucked. So, might as well put someone in the coach's seat (Nestor, water-boy, water-girl ... whomever) for a year and begin a 6-9 month search.

Its why everyone kept saying Manning was gone, but Wellman had different plans.

Its why everyone kept saying Manning was gone, but Wellman had different plans.

If true then Nathan Hatch is the one who should be held responsible. He authorized everything that happened this past week. Absurd to think this was Ron Wellman's one last screwup without Hatch being fully aware and supportive.

John Currie was an onlooker, nothing more. Now he is stuck with the disaster that Hatch and Wellman have wrought. As Dan Collins has perceptively and boldly written, this week has made it impossible for John Currie to reunite a deeply polarized and bitter donor and fan base.

The magnitude of this disaster for Wake Forest athletics (and the university as a whole, given Nathan Hatch's abysmal leadership) cannot be overstated.

Last edited:
Back