• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How has Nathan Hatch survived this unscathed?

If that’s true, this is an easy fix. Issue a statement that the University has decided to move Wellman’s final day up 30 days to Apr 1. Currie fires Manning on Apr 2.

If that’s true, this is an easy fix. Issue a statement that the University has decided to move Wellman’s final day up 30 days to Apr 1. Currie fires Manning on Apr 2.

Similar to Folt and UNC-CH.

I’m not getting my hopes up.

Just saw where one of our very own posters shared posts on Facebook from these boards, specifically regarding the discussion surrounding Shah and Sutton. How about we don’t do that again...Is there any rule against that, mods?

If true then Nathan Hatch is the one who should be held responsible. He authorized everything that happened this past week. Absurd to think this was Ron Wellman's one last screwup without Hatch being fully aware and supportive.

John Currie was an onlooker, nothing more. Now he is stuck with the disaster that Hatch and Wellman have wrought. As Dan Collins has perceptively and boldly written, this week has made it impossible for John Currie to reunite a deeply polarized and bitter donor and fan base.

The magnitude of this disaster for Wake Forest athletics (and the university as a whole, given Nathan Hatch's abysmal leadership) cannot be overstated.
Hatch is responsible, but he also approved the hire of Currie. I don’t like Hatch in the mix , but I am hoping that Hatch is essentially a puppet for the AD, and things will turn as Curry takes control. I do not think this a huge disaster that Curry can’t turn around. Yes we may have Manning for one more year, but if Wellman still had the power to influence the retention of Manning, then he likely would have influenced the choice of our next coach.

I am giving Curry the benefit of the doubt for now—we will see.

This is the typical hypocrisy of smug academic elites. Academic elites like to hold themselves out as far more noble in purpose than money-grubbing "corporations" but these same elites are more than happy to demand corporate CEO-level compensation packages in the name of "paying a market price" for high-level academic bureaucrats.

Nathan Hatch is one of the most highly paid college presidents in the US, pulling down comp well into seven figures. Ron Wellman is one of the most highly paid ADs in the ACC and USA. But don't dare ask about accountability for their management failures! They are ACADEMICS, pure of heart who cannot be compared to those money-grubbing corporate types. Don't dare question their salaries or expect them to hold themselves accountable.

I love Wake Forest but Wake has become a racket, just like American higher education in general. The students and their families are charged obscene prices to attend while a handful of favored academic elites pull down obscene salaries, while a supine Board of Trustees of rich potted plants contents itself with attending nice dinners and sitting in the president's box, while NEVER interfering with the actual management of the enterprise.

very sad but also very true.

There is not a more fitting day for Ron Wellman’s forced departure than April 1. A close second would be April 15, given how much money he’s stolen.

My source is telling me that the money was there to buyout Manning but Wellman wanted one big last F U to everyone and wanted to show everyone whos boss. Went completely against most big donors and what everyone wanted. Major Drama.

Maybe this means Sutton’s deleted tweet was actually about Wellman... he let his emotions get the best of him in reaction to the news. Not sure about what the ‘glory’ refers to in that scenario, but a guy can dream.

One man’s biased opinion stated as fact.

Absolutely.

This is the typical hypocrisy of smug academic elites. Academic elites like to hold themselves out as far more noble in purpose than money-grubbing "corporations" but these same elites are more than happy to demand corporate CEO-level compensation packages in the name of "paying a market price" for high-level academic bureaucrats.

Nathan Hatch is one of the most highly paid college presidents in the US, pulling down comp well into seven figures. Ron Wellman is one of the most highly paid ADs in the ACC and USA. But don't dare ask about accountability for their management failures! They are ACADEMICS, pure of heart who cannot be compared to those money-grubbing corporate types. Don't dare question their salaries or expect them to hold themselves accountable.

I love Wake Forest but Wake has become a racket, just like American higher education in general. The students and their families are charged obscene prices to attend while a handful of favored academic elites pull down obscene salaries, while a supine Board of Trustees comprised of wealthy potted plants contents itself with attending nice dinners and sitting in the president's box, while NEVER interfering with the actual management -- or mismanagement -- of the enterprise.

Think a little bit about what you're saying here: that those *outside* the academy know better how to run a university than those that live and work and spend all of their time thinking about how to make it a more welcoming, innovative, and dynamic place for new generations of students.

I've been one of the most vocal critics on these boards of administrative bloat both at wake forest and elsewhere. And I think you're right about some of the criticisms you make here about both Hatch and implicitly about others. **But it is a mistake to conflate faculty and administration, even if the latter frequently draw their ranks from the former.** and this is what you're doing when you talk about the "elites demanding corporate CEO-level compensation packages" and opining smugly about academic freedom or whatever. Faculty across the country typically don't get paid like those in industry, and increasingly the protections and security and benefits that distanced the "ivory tower" from everybody else are being stripped for political purposes. Do you know what non-TT instructors get paid nowadays? 3k a course. If they're lucky. Also, the idea that Wellman is (or is considered) an "academic" is laughable.

And to be fair, the BOT (or its equivalent) is itself the governing body of many universities, and it is composed of the corporate- and industry-types that many seem to think would do the best job running higher education. It's an experiment that has tried and failed, because a CEO first looks to cut units that seem not to be producing income, disregarding the important fact (in my opinion) that the *sole purpose* of a University education is not necessarily just to achieve a job.

You've got a legit gripe with a number of problems in higher education. Shit sucks in a ton of ways, many of which would never come up in conversation on these boards. I'm not here to defend Hatch against your criticisms, most of all because I share many of them. But I'm writing to tell you that your argument here about the "smug elitists" that ostensibly defend the over-paying and lacking accountability of administrators like hatch is misplaced. These are the very people that care most deeply about education, and many of them are themselves victims of an oppressive and often racist system.

TLDR: be mad at Hatch, the BOT, whatever, but my "biased opinion stated as fact" (DistrictDeac) is one born out of first-hand, everyday experience. If y'all have similar experience (exceeding "I went to college" or "higher education seems to me mismanaged" or "wake basketball sucks and it's Hatch's fault"), then I'd love to chat about it here with you.

Good post. The corporate types are a problem with higher education. That’s only going to get worse as universities need more and more sources of revenue.

Just saw where one of our very own posters shared posts on Facebook from these boards, specifically regarding the discussion surrounding Shah and Sutton. How about we don’t do that again...Is there any rule against that, mods?
Why not? The posts here are publicly available without a login and indexed by Google, etc. Sharing it to social media doesn't make it any more accessible.

Yes it does. This is a community in ways Facebook and Twitter are not. Even on Facebook it’s customary to ask if you can share someone’s post especially if they haven’t made it public.

Yes it does. This is a community in ways Facebook and Twitter are not. Even on Facebook it’s customary to ask if you can share someone’s post especially if they haven’t made it public.

Don’t agree. Posts here are public. Say nothing here you wouldn’t say to Julie Griffin’s face.

since facebook fucking sucks we shouldn’t follow those arbitrary “protocols”

Also, the idea that Wellman is (or is considered) an "academic" is laughable.

Great post. Really well stated.

I also got a good laugh over someone considering Wellman an “academic.”

My source is telling me that the money was there to buyout Manning but Wellman wanted one big last F U to everyone and wanted to show everyone whos boss. Went completely against most big donors and what everyone wanted. Major Drama.

I'm surprised this isn't getting more discussion. Apathy setting in?

I'm surprised this isn't getting more discussion. Apathy setting in?

What's the point. Wake athletics is being funded by a minuscule group of people, who just want to be told how pretty and important they are. As long as the AD does that, the checks will keep cashing.

Back