• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Build a wall between WFU and WSSU

I am assuming it was posted by a Wake student and students represent the University.

No they don't. Speech by a student does not equal speech on behalf of school. WFU has an honor code and conduct policy, if this kid violated it (I still havent seen the actual original post), punish him accordingly. But playing whack a mole with every micro aggression and then offering group hugs and support is not helping these kids.

Trump is president and might be for another 5 years. Expecting a world where you should be shielded from wrong headed dumb racist people is not a realistic expectation.

I think you’re looking at it the wrong way, Ben. A big public response from Hatch helps shield this person from online and face to face confrontations. If Hatch doesn’t address it, plenty of people will much less diplomatically.

Also this world is only going to keep getting more diverse. The job of MSD and any university is to teach people skills they need to survive in that world. Teaching some dumbass not to make dumb racially tinged jokes is an important lesson. It’s also important for Hatch to teach people how to respond to those dumb jokes.

Last edited:
I dunno. I see the President's response to a single instagram post that is really just an dumb thoughtless joke as a massive waste of time, and antithetical to helping the young adult students deal with these dumb POVs IRL.

I agree that racism shouldn't be ignored or validated on campus, but having an official response to every microaggression just reinforces the nanny state. I still havent seen the original post, but what the kid posted is free speech. S/He wouldnt even be subject to censure at NC State. There are a lot of intermingled issues here, but I sort of have a problem with the Univ, jumping to DEFCON 4 to drum up a press release to condemn bad jokes that are legal activity and free speech among adults.

While the speech may be deplorable, to use the parlance of our times, in the real world (or even public school), IRL there isn't going to be someone out there to censure this young adult, you just have to deal with it and move on.

Reading some of the responses from Wake kids on twitter last night, there was a sentiment of 'the university really needs to address this publically,' and its like, no they REALLY dont. They should deal with it in the normal disciplinary course and we dont need a state of the union every time someone says 'build the wall.'

Hatch represents the Wake kids more than he represents us old farts on the internet. They definitely need his leadership more.

Ah, Kenny Gorelick. Brother of esteemed Wake choral director, Dr. G.

I dunno. I see the President's response to a single instagram post that is really just an dumb thoughtless joke as a massive waste of time, and antithetical to helping the young adult students deal with these dumb POVs IRL.

I agree that racism shouldn't be ignored or validated on campus, but having an official response to every microaggression just reinforces the nanny state. I still havent seen the original post, but what the kid posted is free speech. S/He wouldnt even be subject to censure at NC State. There are a lot of intermingled issues here, but I sort of have a problem with the Univ, jumping to DEFCON 4 to drum up a press release to condemn bad jokes that are legal activity and free speech among adults.

While the speech may be deplorable, to use the parlance of our times, in the real world (or even public school), IRL there isn't going to be someone out there to censure this young adult, you just have to deal with it and move on.

Reading some of the responses from Wake kids on twitter last night, there was a sentiment of 'the university really needs to address this publically,' and its like, no they REALLY dont. They should deal with it in the normal disciplinary course and we dont need a state of the union every time someone says 'build the wall.'

The post had started to pick up steam and go viral. I had heard about it from a couple of sources before Hatch's statement. He did the right thing in getting out ahead of any momentum the post had. For it to become a national story before the university responded would have been a worse look.

He had to say something, especially with that shooting on campus that occurred a few years ago.

Back