• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke falsifying research

Thank god the basketball team’s degrees from NCCU are still clear.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/duke...n-settle-false-claims-act-allegations-related

The allegations were originally brought in a lawsuit filed by Joseph Thomas, a former Duke employee, under the qui tam, or whistleblower, provisions of the False Claims Act, which permit private individuals to sue on behalf of the government and share in any recovery. The Act permits the government to intervene in and take over the whistleblower’s suit, or, as in this case, for the whistleblower to pursue the action on the government’s behalf. Mr. Thomas will receive $33,750,000 from the settlement.

Damn. Snitches get paid!

the key thing we need to remember here is that Duke does things The Right Way

I know this because Dickie V has been saying it for 35+ years

WHAT if I told you UNC had been falsifying classes and papers for athletes and other students for AGES??? Crazy, right? Just wait until the Feds hear. I don't want to reveal too much, though, lest anyone try to elbow in on my settlement cash.

Riches. Snitches get riches. Missed opportunity there.

Damn. My Duke education let me down there.

But for real, I need to wear a wire when I go to NSF meetings. “Man, it’s hard to fake data to get these grants. How are you all faking your data?”

Thanks. I fear the “hard sciences” and their fake data are going to make things harder for those of us who collect our own data in the social sciences. It’s hard to replicate interviews and focus groups and large surveys.

Honestly I blame the modern grant system. Always hustling for less and less money. Major success from previous grants a main criteria for getting more grants related or unrelated. The need for a foundation of data that is so large it’s a grant in it own right. Always the safest and uninteresting questions often with the results know before the experiment to show success.

Or, we should focus all our resources on the HUMANITIES

No joke, I was having drinks with a friend today who had to leave for a while to have a three on one phone meeting with elon musk. He got bored after a while and came back while still on the call, and I insisted on shouting "fund the humanities" and "fuck space" in the background.

Not too closely though because I respect my friend's job. But still. Access.

Back