• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A proposal for Deacon Club Member post 3/22

MikeDeac

Reaction score
To my fellow Deacon Club Members:

Having forwarded a poison pen letter 8 days ago indicating that if Danny was retained I would not be getting season tickets for the first time in over 35 years and would not contribute to the basketball Shah building campaign that is soon to start. After Fridays announcement I immediately called my DC rep and asked what was the least I could send and keep my ranking points. That number is $125.00. My intention and proposal is to send a check in that amount, which I usually charge, and in the FOR____ line on the bottom left side to write that this will be my DC contribution until Danny Manning is no longer our coach.

Now I realize that the majority of the folks on the board are relatively young alums who may not have given long term to the DC but I still want to get bowl tix and other benifits based on prior given. I imagine Rhenish and Donald Ross and others are in this same condition. This is the only way that I can make clear my disgust at the recent retention. But if a great number of the people on the board and if we encourage others to do the same they will see a significant decrease and know exactly why. This is also a way to keep the pressure on so that maybe on MAy 2nd to try to recover the moneys being lost John Currie may take action. Nonetheless, I see this as the only way we can make our displeasure felt in a way that will be clear in writing and in the Deacon Club coffers. I hope folks will consider this and follow through.

dumb question- why is it necessary to keep DC ranking points if you can buy a ticket off the street for like $5 anyway?

sounds like the ranking points are doing their job.

The only way to send a message is stop contributing altogether. Reducing your donation, but still contributing to the DC, is the same as (if not worse than) skipping basketball games, but still buying season tickets.

To your larger point, I have zero emotional attachment to my DC ranking points. The reality is that our fanbase (especially our traveling fan base) is not big enough for the DC rankings to be worth anything. There's nothing in the basketball program worth keeping them for. Do you really think you'll be buying ACC or NCAA Tournament tickets in the next five years?

If you have been giving for 35 years, stop giving in year 36, and you want bowl tickets, I guarantee you'll be able to get them regardless of your $125 check for 2019. If you think there are enough donors nowadays with continuing contributions that your DC ranking is going to fall significantly and cheat you out of decent bowl tickets to Shreveport, you're part of the problem.

Make a real statement. My dad and I stopped giving and gave up a bunch of accumulated points/ranking during the [Redacted] years.

To my fellow Deacon Club Members:

Having forwarded a poison pen letter 8 days ago indicating that if Danny was retained I would not be getting season tickets for the first time in over 35 years and would not contribute to the basketball Shah building campaign that is soon to start. After Fridays announcement I immediately called my DC rep and asked what was the least I could send and keep my ranking points. That number is $125.00. My intention and proposal is to send a check in that amount, which I usually charge, and in the FOR____ line on the bottom left side to write that this will be my DC contribution until Danny Manning is no longer our coach.

Now I realize that the majority of the folks on the board are relatively young alums who may not have given long term to the DC but I still want to get bowl tix and other benifits based on prior given. I imagine Rhenish and Donald Ross and others are in this same condition. This is the only way that I can make clear my disgust at the recent retention. But if a great number of the people on the board and if we encourage others to do the same they will see a significant decrease and know exactly why. This is also a way to keep the pressure on so that maybe on MAy 2nd to try to recover the moneys being lost John Currie may take action. Nonetheless, I see this as the only way we can make our displeasure felt in a way that will be clear in writing and in the Deacon Club coffers. I hope folks will consider this and follow through.

I thought they changed the whole points/ranking system years ago to emphasize current giving level over lifetime giving? I know when I was young I started giving in the hopes of accumulating enough points someday to buy ACC tourney tix (what a joke that became after expansion, etc.) but when they changed the system I stopped worrying about it.

Make a real statement. My dad and I stopped giving and gave up a bunch of accumulated points/ranking during the [name redacted] years.

I did, 4 years ago. No DC dues, seats rights, tickets or games in that time.

Ron Wellman you suck donkey ass.

Make a real statement. My dad and I stopped giving and gave up a bunch of accumulated points/ranking during the [Redacted] years.

This. Did similar thing about 3-4 years ago. Keep in mind, it's been made abundantly clear that they really don't give a shit whether you show up or not for games. If you have any doubts, look no further than last Friday's decision. Wake pretty much resigned itself in being competitive in big-time sports last week with the Manning decision. It has ZERO interest in YOU the fan. NONE. So, why would you want to give them a dollar of your hard-earned money?

The model of building points for preferred seating might still work at an Alabama or Clemson, but for a program that can half-fill a 30,000 seat stadium for a WINNING football team and will have literally hundreds for some basketball games, it just doesn't apply at Wake any longer. Just use StubHub and buy a $5.00 seat or simply get a free one in the parking lot before a game.

Maintaining DC points and status indicates that you expect the basketball program to be good again. The AD has done nothing in the past 10 years to indicate that they are committed to making this program again. Any contribution to the DC, even $125 to maintain status, is wasted money. If you’re worried about seating rights, priority, etc., the money you save by not donating should be more than enough to buy good seats for a bowl game on stubhub.

Maintaining DC points and status indicates that you expect the basketball program to be good again. The AD has done nothing in the past 10 years to indicate that they are committed to making this program again. Any contribution to the DC, even $125 to maintain status, is wasted money. If you’re worried about seating rights, priority, etc., the money you save by not donating should be more than enough to buy good seats for a bowl game on stubhub.

*good again

I haven't given a dollar to the Deacon Club since they hired Bz. I gave every year for about 15 years before that. I can't see myself giving again until something changes.

May 2nd is a meaningless date. John Currie accepted the position on the condition he'd let his mentor make the final decision. Those that matter don't mind & those that mind don't matter.

What if you want a football parking pass? Gotta be a DC member, right? That's currently the only reason I am a member given what transpired the past 9 years.

What if you want a football parking pass? Gotta be a DC member, right? That's currently the only reason I am a member given what transpired the past 9 years.

This is more relevant than ACC tournament tickets these days.

Buy parking passes second hand or tailgate in the Joel lot. Any donation to the DC makes you complicit in this.

Are you the tailgater or the tailgatee?

If it's the latter & you live in the area, I mosty solved this one for us by using uber/lyft.

I've gotten downright creative in my ways of not giving money to RW's regime until changes are made.

That was what I wondering - what benefit is there really to being in the DC? I guess the parking pass is it?? The secondary market for great tickets is less than buying decent tickets from Wake in may cases.

Back