• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Oates to Bama

The real question is if Alabama is so rich in athletics, why has their bball program never been any good? It's been a graveyard for pretty decent coaches.

Bad luck, transfers, really young team.

Unless you think Alabama was going to pay Oats top of the market money (they were paying Avery Johnson $3M, which, according to the geniuses around here, was Manning-level money) then there is no reason to think we couldn't make a competitive bid for Oats should we have chosen to do so.

Yes, Alabama has the resources to outbid us, but they have the resources to outbid Iowa State and didn't get Steve Prohm. They also have the resources to outbid Wichita State and didn't get Marshall last time around. So they clearly aren't willing to drop a godfather offer on basketball coaches, even if they have the ability to do so.

The real question is if Alabama is so rich in athletics, why has their bball program never been any good? It's been a graveyard for pretty decent coaches.

Maybe we can pick up Oats when Danny's contract expires in 2025.

Maybe we can pick up Oats when Danny's contract expires in 2025.

Along those lines... Anthony Grant should be a candidate next year I think. I think his Dayton team next year will be as good as any of Archie's teams were, and he had a higher conference win percentage than either Gottfried or Johnson.

Along those lines... Anthony Grant should be a candidate next year I think. I think his Dayton team next year will be as good as any of Archie's teams were, and he had a higher conference win percentage than either Gottfried or Johnson.

I don't see Grant leaving his alma mater unless we backed up 2 Brinks trucks.

I don't see Grant leaving his alma mater unless we backed up 2 Brinks trucks.

I guess it depends on if he wants to prove he can win at the power conference level.

They paid Archie $2M in his last full year there, and I am not sure it makes sense for us to come in much higher than that for a guy like Grant so maybe it isn't realistic.

I think Wake probably could spend as much as Alabama was willing to spend. With the new Shah center, we will probably have them beat for basketball facilities as well. Furthermore, they've snagged pretty big coaching names the last two go-arounds and don't have a lot to show for it. The only time they've had consistent success over the last 30 years was when Gottfried was there doing his Gottfried things (also - they weren't that successful - three winning conference records in eleven years).

They have more money as an athletic department, but basketball is not a priority for them like it is / should be at Wake.

Basketball seems like a priority given how much they have been willing to dole out for big coaching names. Bama's problem is they have no history of success in basketball. Best case scenario though for Bama is to have the equivalent of Billy D at UF. Even during UF's peak, they didn't fill their seats. Regardless, as Bama has shown, they don't mess around with mediocrity in their money sports. Mediocre or slightly above doesn't will buy you 5 years at most and certainly no damn extensions with huge buyouts added during such years. On top of that, coaches know they'll be highly paid if successful.

SEC also isn't that bad of a basketball conference. Coach Cal and Pearl are both elite coaches. White at UF seems to be doing good things. And most of us would wet ourselves if we have Miss St's Howland. Sure, none of their are Coach K or Roy level, but Calipari is close. Oats could very well be the SEC's equivalent of Bennett.

I would choose Wake, but unless you have ACC ties, it probably doesn't have as much allure as the $$. Given Manning's contract and Bama's AD budget, we weren't going to win a bidding war. Wellman only seems inclined to do that if the coach is already at Wake.

They've been better than Wake in the postseason. Since 2000, Bama has 7 NCAA trips with one of those going to the Elite 8. Wake has gone 8 times with the Sw16 run in 04. So arguably, Bama has been just as good of a program over the last 20 years, though Wake has certainly nabbed more elite talent over that period. During the 90s, Wake was a solid notch above Bama, but Bama was better during the 80s and probably at their peak at the end of the 80s/early 90s when they had Horry, Spree, and later McDyess. Never considered a title contender like Wake has been at times.

They've been better than Wake in the postseason. Since 2000, Bama has 7 NCAA trips with one of those going to the Elite 8. Wake has gone 8 times with the Sw16 run in 04. So arguably, Bama has been just as good of a program over the last 20 years, though Wake has certainly nabbed more elite talent over that period. During the 90s, Wake was a solid notch above Bama, but Bama was better during the 80s and probably at their peak at the end of the 80s/early 90s when they had Horry, Spree, and later McDyess. Never considered a title contender like Wake has been at times.

He was probably comparing Alabama to Michigan, fwiw.

No way Alabama can compete with Wake when it comes to money. Sure they may have more of it, but we’re way dumber. If Oats came here, he’d get 3M/year guaranteed for life after winning a couple of games in the CBI.

Alabama will never be able to hire a good coach because the fired a coach with a winning record and only gave him four years! Coaches talk and no one would ever want to work for that AD. Oh wait...apparently they don’t care at all what happened to the previous coach if they are stepping in to a great opportunity. Probably just do not want to work for arrogant jerks. Maybe that is why we ended up with Manning

Back