• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Oates to Bama

Along those lines... Anthony Grant should be a candidate next year I think. I think his Dayton team next year will be as good as any of Archie's teams were, and he had a higher conference win percentage than either Gottfried or Johnson.

How about John Pelphrey?

How about John Pelphrey?

I realize that Pelphrey was another board favorite way back when, and that's the only reason you're bringing him up, but Grant has a better resume in virtually every way. He did better at VCU than Pelphrey did at South Alabama (Pelphrey didn't even improve on his predecessor's win percentage), and he did better at Alabama than Pelphrey did at Arkansas. After being let go from their SEC gigs, Pelphrey just went back to being a college assistant while Grant spent two years on a NBA bench and then took a top mid-major job where he has them at 62nd in the country with his team almost entirely returning next year (plus three transfers becoming eligible).

They've been better than Wake in the postseason. Since 2000, Bama has 7 NCAA trips with one of those going to the Elite 8. Wake has gone 8 times with the Sw16 run in 04. So arguably, Bama has been just as good of a program over the last 20 years, though Wake has certainly nabbed more elite talent over that period. During the 90s, Wake was a solid notch above Bama, but Bama was better during the 80s and probably at their peak at the end of the 80s/early 90s when they had Horry, Spree, and later McDyess. Never considered a title contender like Wake has been at times.

If only there were a head to head matchup between Wake and Alabama from the early 90's.

Wasn't at Alabama the famous Childress "don't take me out coach, I'm hot!" Game?

Back