• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lipscomb

Rick Byrd is a phenomenal coach, whose teams play a style that is fun to watch. Will take a disciple of his any day of the week, especially accounting for our self-imposed lower standards

It would have been nice if he had had the 30-5 season one year earlier (2009-2010 instead of 2010-2011). Then maybe we would have hired him instead of [Redacted].

No for sure, didn't mean to imply I thought it was one sided. College refs are just awful and miss so many calls every game against each team. I thought this crew actually let them play down low which I am fine with since it was pretty much consistent but to miss or call some of the other stuff they did from the terrible positions they were in is inexcusable. As soon as I saw that TV Teddy was in the building you knew you were in for ref hi-jinks. That fact that I even know a refs name tells you all you need to know. He and the guy who called the awful goaltending were beyond bad. Reason they are reffing in the NIT I guess.

I wanted to check out Reynolds last night for a meaningful game so I made the trip over there as well. That really was a terrible call, at least from what I could tell about 10 rows behind the basket. He may have been blocked by the rim with his view, since it was sort of a reverse layup, but then to double down and give Keatts a technical on top of it was not good.

And good grief, the shot clock problems were off the charts. I don't know if it was operator error or some mechanical issues or a combination of both, but it was comical.

They've made some nice changes over there, and that place can get loud, even reducing the capacity by more than half. I knew Dorn was having a good game, but it surprised me to hear Matthews had scored 44 points on the drive home, it didn't seem like that much at the time. Johnson hit some big shots down the stretch, but they sure didn't seem to miss him much in the 1st half after his silly early fouls.

State's D has been awful all year. Tough losing in Reynolds to Lipscomb when leading by 9 at halftime and giving up 56 second half points. Jury still out on Keats, IMO. Bad D and playground O at times.

Not really. KenPom efficiency rating of 62nd in the nation which is decent. Strength is defending the 3pt line and they ran into a team last night that shot about 80% on open looks. Sometimes it happens. Keatts took over a team that had KenPom defensive efficiency ratings of 152 and 229 (out of 35) in the two years prior to his arrival. Last year it was 109 last year and bumped up again to 62nd this year. The consistency isn't there game to game but there have been some really good defensive games this year. I don't love the press 100% of the time as I think ACC teams and coaches are too good for it to work against consistently but it does seem to wear down the other teams and lead to NCSU winning or pulling away late. As Keatts continues to bring in his players the defense will continue to improve IMO.

I wanted to check out Reynolds last night for a meaningful game so I made the trip over there as well. That really was a terrible call, at least from what I could tell about 10 rows behind the basket. He may have been blocked by the rim with his view, since it was sort of a reverse layup, but then to double down and give Keatts a technical on top of it was not good.

And good grief, the shot clock problems were off the charts. I don't know if it was operator error or some mechanical issues or a combination of both, but it was comical.

They've made some nice changes over there, and that place can get loud, even reducing the capacity by more than half. I knew Dorn was having a good game, but it surprised me to hear Matthews had scored 44 points on the drive home, it didn't seem like that much at the time. Johnson hit some big shots down the stretch, but they sure didn't seem to miss him much in the 1st half after his silly early fouls.

Yea clock stuff was really bad. Not sure what the problem was there. Johnson wasn't missed in the first half due to Dorn and the other wings getting to the rim at will in the 1st half for layups. After the defensive adjustments from Lipscomb and some stagnation at the end by NCSU Markell put us in the position to be able to throw the game away in the first place. IF he is back next year NCSU could be in for a really fun season, he's really damn good. I was dismissing Lipscomb prior to NCAA Sunday but I was wrong, those guys can play with anyone offensively. Anytime you have shooters all over, you can play with about anyone. They had a really solid squad.

It was my first time back in Reynolds as well, place is aweosme, just a great venue for a college basketball game.

Not really. KenPom efficiency rating of 62nd in the nation which is decent. Strength is defending the 3pt line and they ran into a team last night that shot about 80% on open looks. Sometimes it happens. Keatts took over a team that had KenPom defensive efficiency ratings of 152 and 229 (out of 35) in the two years prior to his arrival. Last year it was 109 last year and bumped up again to 62nd this year. The consistency isn't there game to game but there have been some really good defensive games this year. I don't love the press 100% of the time as I think ACC teams and coaches are too good for it to work against consistently but it does seem to wear down the other teams and lead to NCSU winning or pulling away late. As Keatts continues to bring in his players the defense will continue to improve IMO.

Including the cupcakes from the non-conf schedule? I'd be curious what it is for ACC play and NIT. At times it seemed like a layup line ...

Efficiency is adjusted for strength of opponent I believe. Let me check.

ETA: yes it’s adjusted for strength of opponent. With raw data State had the 59th defense.

Last edited:
Including the cupcakes from the non-conf schedule? I'd be curious what it is for ACC play and NIT. At times it seemed like a layup line ...

That includes all games. In the ACC, NCSU was 10th out of 15 teams. Allowed about 6 points per 100 possessions more in ACC than overall. That said, the top 4 in the ACC all allowed more than 5 points per 100 possessions above the overall. So I don't think that number is anything unusual. NCSU ranked ahead of ND, PITT, BC, Miami, and Wake. They were within 1 point per 100 possessions of VT and GT as well. So middle of the road basically. Certainly wasn't great or near the elite ACC defensive teams but I don't think they were anywhere near "awful". Some games maybe, but you had some really good defensive performances thrown in as well.

This is why Alexander was on my top 5 list for replacing Danny this year.

Vanderbilt doesn't need to look far at all for their new coach: hire Alexander now. He's been in Nashville for basically two decades sans a couple years at Stetson (Belmont HOF, Belmont assistant, Stetson head coach, Lipscomb head coach).
Was he coaching at Stetson when Redacted got, well, "Stetson'ed"?

This is what is wrong with these boards. A poster makes a post and some smuck highlights one phrase accounting for 3 seconds of game time to make some stupid, dumbass point to prove his manhood. Congratulations. You win the prize what ever it may be to stroke your ego.

You made the inaccurate statement and somehow I'm the schmuck. What's wrong with these boards is the personal insults. Also, those 3 seconds were critical during Lipscomb's attempt to keep the game at par, so not some meaningless shot. If you're so offended by someone correcting your error, perhaps you're the one who needs their manhood checked.

Well, the defense on Lipscomb's last bucket was LOL WTF !?

Inbounding to Cooper (with no pressure on the ball) with 9.6 seconds left, Johnson did his best to try to steal the ball but was risking an obvious reach-in foul with Lipscomb in the bonus. Cooper got past him a little and got him on his hip at midcourt, then dribbled into the lane, 9 feet from the basket before Dorn came off his man and offered enough token resistance to prevent a layup. Cooper made the shot from there without making a pass and not facing a trap as he brought the ball up the court.

Lipscomb has a very talented cheerleading squad as well. It was hard not to notice. Better than Miami and FSU.

You made the inaccurate statement and somehow I'm the schmuck. What's wrong with these boards is the personal insults. Also, those 3 seconds were critical during Lipscomb's attempt to keep the game at par, so not some meaningless shot. If you're so offended by someone correcting your error, perhaps you're the one who needs their manhood checked.

Right big boy. Enjoy your arrogance.

Back