• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lipscomb

nvadeac

Reaction score
I watched the second half of Lipscomb- NC State last nite in the NIT on ESPNU. IF you missed it you missed a heck of a game. Garrison Mathews, a senior for Lipscomb scored 44 points in Raleigh and Lipscomb overcame everything imagineable to win with 1.7 seconds left. A very well coached team who scored from 3, in the paint, back door, awesome inbounds plays - every way imaginable. Unknown players, not highly recruited, fairly small, most local to central Tennessee. They would destroy Wake Forest. It was a game highlighted by a great coach who had ALL his players on the same page and they played with purpose. Never did I see a desperation shot at the end of the shot clock like we end up with 10 times a game. It was a great example of an everyday coach and players playing to their potential and above. There have to be other Garrison Mathews out there but we can't seem to find them. Mathews was hitting 3's from Chapel Hill, back-dooring his man for layups and dunks and driving the lane for layups all nite long. Highly impressed with the coach and his rapport with the players. They are on the New York for the semis. Best performance I've seen all year. Well, back to the Mannequin....

I watched the second half of Lipscomb- NC State last nite in the NIT on ESPNU. IF you missed it you missed a heck of a game. Garrison Mathews, a senior for Lipscomb scored 44 points in Raleigh and Lipscomb overcame everything imagineable to win with 1.7 seconds left. A very well coached team who scored from 3, in the paint, back door, awesome inbounds plays - every way imaginable. Unknown players, not highly recruited, fairly small, most local to central Tennessee. They would destroy Wake Forest. It was a game highlighted by a great coach who had ALL his players on the same page and they played with purpose. Never did I see a desperation shot at the end of the shot clock like we end up with 10 times a game. It was a great example of an everyday coach and players playing to their potential and above. There have to be other Garrison Mathews out there but we can't seem to find them. Mathews was hitting 3's from Chapel Hill, back-dooring his man for layups and dunks and driving the lane for layups all nite long. Highly impressed with the coach and his rapport with the players. They are on the New York for the semis. Best performance I've seen all year. Well, back to the Mannequin....

Except for that desperation turnaround 3 as the shot clock expired and miraculously went off the glass and in?

There are two small private liberal arts colleges in Nashville that have much better basketball programs than Wake Forest. Let that sink in.

Was there in person last night and it was a hell of a game. Mathews is easily the best offensive player i've seen NCSU play this season other than Zion. He can do it all, is crazy smart, and can flat out stroke it. He's an absolutely awful defender but his offensive game was another level than what NCSU has seen all year. CBB is a beautiful game when teams are not trying to circumvent freedom of movement rules and are actually trying to score the basketball whenever they have the opportunity. One of the top 5 most enjoyable games to watch this year.

Clock issues and refs were horrible but the game prevailed over both. Lot of fun to watch.

That's how NC State used to score when they played in Reynolds back in the early 70's. BTW, the defense in that game was awful on both ends of the floor.

Except for that desperation turnaround 3 as the shot clock expired and miraculously went off the glass and in?

This is what is wrong with these boards. A poster makes a post and some smuck highlights one phrase accounting for 3 seconds of game time to make some stupid, dumbass point to prove his manhood. Congratulations. You win the prize what ever it may be to stroke your ego.

This is what is wrong with these boards. A poster makes a post and some smuck highlights one phrase accounting for 3 seconds of game time to make some stupid, dumbass point to prove his manhood. Congratulations. You win the prize what ever it may be to stroke your ego.

You mean "schmuck."

Was there in person last night and it was a hell of a game. Mathews is easily the best offensive player i've seen NCSU play this season other than Zion. He can do it all, is crazy smart, and can flat out stroke it. He's an absolutely awful defender but his offensive game was another level than what NCSU has seen all year. CBB is a beautiful game when teams are not trying to circumvent freedom of movement rules and are actually trying to score the basketball whenever they have the opportunity. One of the top 5 most enjoyable games to watch this year.

Clock issues and refs were horrible but the game prevailed over both. Lot of fun to watch.

I agree the refs were beyond awful but that was for both sides. There were several calls that were simply baffling. To me the performance by Mathews was the best I've seen all year. Dorn was impressive too with a career high. It wasn't like there was no defense there were some incredible shots that were made. I was actually hoping State would win to get to NY but they just ran out of time.

This is why Alexander was on my top 5 list for replacing Danny this year.

Vanderbilt doesn't need to look far at all for their new coach: hire Alexander now. He's been in Nashville for basically two decades sans a couple years at Stetson (Belmont HOF, Belmont assistant, Stetson head coach, Lipscomb head coach).

Given that Alexander has coached in Nashville for 6 years and built Lipscomb from #289 (the year before he took over) to #41, you would think that he would be a natural for the Vandy opening. Rumors are that Vandy wants Johnny Dawkins. Vandy is also reportedly interested in Duke Assistant Jon Scheyer, Eric Mussleman, Mick Cronin, JTIII, and Becky Hammon. Would think that Lipscomb's run of consecutive wins over Davidson, UNCG and State (all on the road), may bump Alexander up that list.

Last edited:
I enjoyed seeing that game in Reynolds Coliseum. Whenever Wake has enough money to improve the Joel (maybe after Manning's contract expires and we hire a new coach in the late 2020s who brings some excitement and donors back to the program), I hope we look at some of the physical changes they made there as inspiration.

I enjoyed seeing that game in Reynolds Coliseum. Whenever Wake has enough money to improve the Joel (maybe after Manning's contract expires and we hire a new coach in the late 2020s who brings some excitement and donors back to the program), I hope we look at some of the physical changes they made there as inspiration.

Wait, you want us to turn the Joel into something resembling Reynolds Coliseum ?

I agree the refs were beyond awful but that was for both sides. There were several calls that were simply baffling. To me the performance by Mathews was the best I've seen all year. Dorn was impressive too with a career high. It wasn't like there was no defense there were some incredible shots that were made. I was actually hoping State would win to get to NY but they just ran out of time.

No for sure, didn't mean to imply I thought it was one sided. College refs are just awful and miss so many calls every game against each team. I thought this crew actually let them play down low which I am fine with since it was pretty much consistent but to miss or call some of the other stuff they did from the terrible positions they were in is inexcusable. As soon as I saw that TV Teddy was in the building you knew you were in for ref hi-jinks. That fact that I even know a refs name tells you all you need to know. He and the guy who called the awful goaltending were beyond bad. Reason they are reffing in the NIT I guess.

That's how NC State used to score when they played in Reynolds back in the early 70's. BTW, the defense in that game was awful on both ends of the floor.

State's D has been awful all year. Tough losing in Reynolds to Lipscomb when leading by 9 at halftime and giving up 56 second half points. Jury still out on Keats, IMO. Bad D and playground O at times.

Wait, you want us to turn the Joel into something resembling Reynolds Coliseum ?

Yes, I would like to see some of the same changes they made to Reynolds - reduced seating capacity, more windows and an open, airy feel, maybe incorporate a Wake Forest basketball Walk of Fame into the concourse area. The Joel is a pretty dreary atmosphere on a sunny Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Reynolds is a pretty cool space now, and the fans really had that place rocking last night. I suspect Donald Ross will have an opinion about this.

Rick Byrd is a phenomenal coach, whose teams play a style that is fun to watch. Will take a disciple of his any day of the week, especially accounting for our self-imposed lower standards

Back