• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2019 MLB Regular Season Thread - Trade Deadline Wednesday

CheesePritchard

Reaction score
Hope springs eternal. All 30 teams in action including Cy Young winners DeGrom/Scherzer and Verlander/Snell matching up.

Who is your team? What is your outlook for the season?

Let's get some predictions on MVP, Cy, and division winners.

Last edited:
I root for the 2018 NL East Champion Atlanta Braves. I think we will make the playoffs but likely not repeat as division champs this year barring the young pitching that has been hoarded really showing out. We have the best 2-4 (Donaldson, Freeman, Acuna) lineup in baseball. The pitching is a little less proven. My hope for the season is Acuna wins the MVP, Dansby Swanson figures out how to be an average hitter, Ozzie Albies stops hitting weak fly balls as a LHH, and a few of the kid pitchers emerge as rotation fixtures. Our offseason made an early splash but then was sort of underwhelming. Really would have liked to address the corner outfield spot with a bigger upgrade than bringing back Markakis.

Two RHP rookies going this weekend against the revamped Phillies.

I hope the Cubs lose every game. Yankees too.

I root for the 2018 NL East Champion Atlanta Braves. I think we will make the playoffs but likely not repeat as division champs this year barring the young pitching that has been hoarded really showing out. We have the best 2-4 (Donaldson, Freeman, Acuna) lineup in baseball. The pitching is a little less proven. My hope for the season is Acuna wins the MVP, Dansby Swanson figures out how to be an average hitter, Ozzie Albies stops hitting weak fly balls as a LHH, and a few of the kid pitchers emerge as rotation fixtures. Our offseason made an early splash but then was sort of underwhelming. Really would have liked to address the corner outfield spot with a bigger upgrade than bringing back Markakis.

Two RHP rookies going this weekend against the revamped Phillies.

I love Freeman, and Acuna had a great rookie year, but Josh Donaldson has to prove that he can stay healthy and return to form before he is part of any ranking among the best in baseball. Last year, Donaldson had 187 ABs with 8 HRs and a .246/.352/.449 slash line. He also missed almost 50 games in 2017. 2015 was a long time ago for Donaldson.

I'm a Pirates fan, and they don't really try to compete, kinda like WF basketball

frees up a lot of time for me

If Freeman stays healthy, he might take home MVP hardware in November. It's probably too easy to go with Scherzer again for the Cy, so I'm thinking someone like Walker Buehler.

AL is Trout vs the field. Everybody seems to love Gerrit Cole for the Cy, but I think now that he's paid, Sale puts it all together for a full season.

I don't see anyone beating the Red Sox unless one of their marquee guys drops off or gets hurt. They're too damn deep.

Red Sox have bullpen concerns. Their top two relievers, Matt Barnes and Ryan Brasier have 2 career saves. Nothing kills the mojo of good team faster than a bad bullpen. Maybe they sign Kimbrell tomorrow, but as presently constituted it's a stretch to think that the Red Sox will be dominant with their current pen.

It will be interesting to see how the Phillies manager integrates the newly acquired stars (Harper, Realmuto and Segura in particular) with the home grown guys.

Will they have enough starting pitchers healthy enough long enough?

I love Freeman, and Acuna had a great rookie year, but Josh Donaldson has to prove that he can stay healthy and return to form before he is part of any ranking among the best in baseball. Last year, Donaldson had 187 ABs with 8 HRs and a .246/.352/.449 slash line. He also missed almost 50 games in 2017. 2015 was a long time ago for Donaldson.
The Braves aren't going to get 2015 Donaldson and I agree it is all about health for him. But if he is in the lineup 115 times he will have a 5 WAR season, same as 2017, and the Braves have depth at the position.

Nats/Cubs/Dodgers - Cards/Braves WC in the NL
Yanks/Indians/Astros - Twins/Sawx WC in the AL

NL MVP - Acuna
AL MVP - Correa
NL CY - Nola
AL CY - Sale
NL ROY - Alex Reyes, if he qualifies
AL ROY - Vlad

My sister and bro-in-law are at Reds/Pirates today. I'm jealous. I'm just at work.

Royals fan here. We will suck, but I enjoy watching younger players be given opportunities and see who surprises. Mondesi should be very fun to watch, and with Merrifield, Hamilton, Gore, and Mondesi, the stolen base totals will be interesting.

What's the AL record for team stolen bases, and will it be in reach?

PostWW1, the record is 341 by the 1976 A's.
For reference, the 2018 AL team with the most had 135.
So; not likely.

No chance they get to 341, but wouldn't be surprised if a team with Hamilton, Mondesi and Merrifield don't push past 150.

Perfect game for the Tigers Jordan Zimmerman through 6 innings against the Jays....

Back