• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2019 MLB Regular Season Thread - Trade Deadline Wednesday

Whit Merrifield, Kansas City Royals 2B & OF is now an American League All-Star! Batting .301 with 11 homes & 42 RBI. 11th in AL batting, #1 in at bats, #2 in hits & #2 in triples. Father Bill Merrifield was of course a Wake Forest AA and now Asst AD for Development in the athletic department. Little brother Hite is a freshman on the Wake baseball team.

Big Vogey probs not an All-Star without that rule. Kid has been one of the few bright spots about the Mariners' season since early May.

Holy crap, Tyler Skaggs died today. Just saw it on twitter, game is cancelled. This is really sad.

Reminds me of Darryl Kile - I was staying in the same hotel on the same night when Kyle passed in Chicago.

RIP Tyler.

terrible news re: Skaggs.

On this Bobby Bonilla Day I learned that the Mets have arguably not been paying on the worst contract in MLB history - that would be the Braves, still paying annual interest payments at 12.3% (that's $1.12 million per year) to Bruce Sutter before the $9.1 million lump sum he gets in 2021.

Terrible news about Skaggs. The Angels have had bad luck with players dying.

RIP

Time for the old "if the season ended today" game:

AL WC: Texas @ Tampa, winner plays NYY
ALDS: Houston @ Minnesota

NL WC: COL/PHI play-in game, then @ Cubs, winner plays LAD
NLDS: Milwaukee @ Atlanta

Obviously much can change, but the NL might end up with the same five teams as last year. Zzzzzz.

Time for the old "if the season ended today" game:

AL WC: Texas @ Tampa, winner plays NYY
ALDS: Houston @ Minnesota

NL WC: COL/PHI play-in game, then @ Cubs, winner plays LAD
NLDS: Milwaukee @ Atlanta

Obviously much can change, but the NL might end up with the same five teams as last year. Zzzzzz.

There may not be great division races outside of the NL Central, but there are a ton of teams close in WC standings. In the AL, Cleveland and Oakland (watch out for the A's in the 2nd half; they are finally healthy, and have a ton of elite arms ready to come up from the farm) are within a 1/2 game, and Boston is 2 back.

In the NL, the Nats (18-8 in June), D'Backs, Pads and Cards are all within 2.5 games of both WC spots.

I maintain the "every team gets one" rule is bogus.

Agreed. Change it to only the host team is guaranteed a player and I'd be happy. Probably can't be done until the new CBA is negotiated.

I maintain the "every team gets one" rule is bogus.

Actually, I disagree. I like the rule. I have fond memories, as a kid, trying to guess which of my Phillies was going to be the lone rep. This year it's JT.... However, I do think they could expand the rosters by 2 or 3. I also remember being in MS arguing with my friends about which "All-Star" got the shaft and missed the cut.

The last place team in the NL Central is 2.5 games closer to first than any other second place team is. Crazy.

since this thread doesn't get a ton of traffic I guess it's ok to give a couple of WF AAA updates

Will Craig update:

Phillies really need to show Gabe Kapler the door. They are lifeless on the field under him.

I think they need a veterans manager type like Dallas Green to kick some ass in that club house.

Welcome to the bandwagon. The GM needs to go as well.

since this thread doesn't get a ton of traffic I guess it's ok to give a couple of WF AAA updates

Will Craig update:

Parker has struggled, but the league ERA for the PCL is in the mid 5s. Lots of thin air parks, and they are using the juiced MLB ball. The team ERA for the Las Vegas franchise is 5.41. There are 4 PCL teams with ERA over 6.

Phillies drop 2 of 3 to Nats. Looking more and more like Phillies went from "rebuild" to "win now" mode without nearly enough good pitchers. And with the two big FA contracts, they won't be able to afford much FA pitching.

Phillies drop 2 of 3 to Nats. Looking more and more like Phillies went from "rebuild" to "win now" mode without nearly enough good pitchers. And with the two big FA contracts, they won't be able to afford much FA pitching.

They'll have about $90,000,000 to spend and stay under the luxury tax threshold, if they want. The problem is, outside of Gerritt Cole, the FA pitching class is quite weak this offseason.

The Phillies also are currently in the 2nd WC spot. They'd be in the playoffs, if they started today.

If Braves want to have a chance against the Dodgers they must get a legit closer. Luke Jackson could be that guy in a couple of years, but he is too much like young Wohlers where every outing is a thrill ride and you have no idea what you are going to get. It seems he can never get an easy close as always makes you sweat it out and while that might work a few times against weaker/mediocre teams it will be very costly in a playoff series especially against a team like the Dodgers.

The way Dallas is improving the Braves have a legit 1-3 to match the Dodgers with Kuechel, Soroka and Fried and think you have an option for Julio as your 4th or move him to middle relief if any of the first 3 struggle.

Back