• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2019 MLB Regular Season Thread - Trade Deadline Wednesday

If Braves want to have a chance against the Dodgers they must get a legit closer. Luke Jackson could be that guy in a couple of years, but he is too much like young Wohlers where every outing is a thrill ride and you have no idea what you are going to get. It seems he can never get an easy close as always makes you sweat it out and while that might work a few times against weaker/mediocre teams it will be very costly in a playoff series especially against a team like the Dodgers.

The way Dallas is improving the Braves have a legit 1-3 to match the Dodgers with Kuechel, Soroka and Fried and think you have an option for Julio as your 4th or move him to middle relief if any of the first 3 struggle.

Jackson has reminded me of the days when Tim Stoddard relieved for the Orioles and had the nickname "Full Pack" (referring to the number of cigs Earl Weaver would go through when Stoddard made an appearance).

Phillies drop 2 of 3 to Nats. Looking more and more like Phillies went from "rebuild" to "win now" mode without nearly enough good pitchers. And with the two big FA contracts, they won't be able to afford much FA pitching.

Really showing it tonight. They need at least a very strong #2 pitcher, probably another starting pitcher, and several bullpen and bench pieces.

Trevor Rosenthal called up by Detroit, even though his ERA at AAA is over 10.

Really showing it tonight. They need at least a very strong #2 pitcher, probably another starting pitcher, and several bullpen and bench pieces.

Knee-jerk reaction after watching highlights of last night's game is the Phillies are done. Depending on how many games they have left against the Mets, I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish under .500. Hard to think Kapler survives the rest of the season, let alone the off-season. It just looks like some of those players couldn't care less.

Also, the Dodgers do everything well. Literally everything. Double steal. Safety squeeze. Hustle IF single. I guess their flaw is the middle of the bullpen, but isn't that everyone's flaw? If we're headed for a Yankees Dodgers WS, it should be pretty goddamn fun to watch.

Feels like Underpants to the Rays is the biggest deadline deal we might get now that SF is sniffing a WC berth.

Deep down I bet Zaidi is a little frustrated they have gone on this run. They aren't good enough to make the playoffs but have an outgoing HOF manager and there will be pressure to stay the course at the very least.

Deep down I bet Zaidi is a little frustrated they have gone on this run. They aren't good enough to make the playoffs but have an outgoing HOF manager and there will be pressure to stay the course at the very least.

Absolutely. Zaidi came from the Dodgers in the off-season. He doesn't hold the sentiment for Bochy and MadBum like the fans do. He wants to build his own team, but given that Bochy has won 3 titles and is headed to Cooperstown and MadBum is a post-season legend, can't see Zaidi cutting the legs out from under a Giants team that has baseball's best record in July and this is that franchise's last shot for title run. While the Giants chances to sneak into a wild card spot are low, would be fun to see the Giants face the Dodgers in a 5 game series. Giants would be playing with house money and all the pressure would be on the Dodgers.

Jackson has reminded me of the days when Tim Stoddard relieved for the Orioles and had the nickname "Full Pack" (referring to the number of cigs Earl Weaver would go through when Stoddard made an appearance).

Good stuff, I had not heard that story. Ah, the 1970s when managers could smoke in the dugout...

Troy Tulowitzski retires. Great career. Helped the Rockies to their only W-S appearance as a rookie in 2007.

Where did you hear this? There is only one Stan the Man (said with highest respect), but that is a great play on words. Who coined it?

Mike Flanagan (hall of fame team mate on Orioles) is credited with giving Don Stanhouse the nickname.

Jeremy Walker, Advance, NC local boy just got called up and gave up a bullet ground ball hit off of Albies glove on his first major league pitch, then got his best friend, a DP, and a fly out to closeout a scoreless 9th on the Phillies . Lots of love on the Braves FSS broadcast for a reliever with potential.

Last edited:
Just weird the Mets are the ones to get Stroman. Package seems a little light but the kid in A ball sounds like a riser, just so far away.

Mets gonna Met.

Aren't there a few Rays fans on here? Weird-ass trade with Cleveland.

Speaking of Cleveland, Trevor Bauer is unhinged.

Everything I read said the acquisition of Stroman hurt Syndergaards trade value since they gave up, relatively, little. Would have to think the Blue Jays sell the farm now, might as well.

The Mets have so much ground to pickup, but that rotation is crazy. Again.

Mets trade Vargas to the Phillies for a 25 year old AA catcher that is OPSing .635. Assuming that was just a salary dump.

Back