• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2019 MLB Regular Season Thread - Trade Deadline Wednesday

Are the five teams in the NL pretty much decided? Cubs have an easy schedule the rest of the way, minus a home and home with the Cardinals. Nats have a five-gamer against the Phillies, but Philly clearly doesn't have the pitching to keep them in it. Nats have a weird season-ending series against Cleveland, which could have more implications for the AL than the NL.

No.

Dombrowski OUT

Man, less than a year after a W-S title and the most wins in 118 years of Red Sox baseball, the Sawx owners fire their GM. They do have a bloated payroll and somehow went into the season without a closer, but pretty harsh decision given all that the team accomplished last year.

Are the five teams in the NL pretty much decided? Cubs have an easy schedule the rest of the way, minus a home and home with the Cardinals. Nats have a five-gamer against the Phillies, but Philly clearly doesn't have the pitching to keep them in it. Nats have a weird season-ending series against Cleveland, which could have more implications for the AL than the NL.

Three division winners probably locked in, with St. Louis holding the smallest lead at 4.5 games as of today.

NL wildcard race now appears to be a five team race. Nats in the driver's seat for one, with a three game lead and 4.5 over the third WC team. However, there are three teams within two games of current second WC team (Chicago). Dbacks, Milwaukee and Phillies. Mets aren't dead, at 4 back of 2nd wildcard, but the weekend with the Phillies did not help their cause.

Braves at Phillies and Braves at Washington this week could have big implications for the NL wildcard.

AL wildcard is now three teams for two spots. Tampa Bay, Oakland, Cleveland, in that order today, but it's only three games separating the top and bottom. No other team is even close.

Yelich done for the year after fouling a ball off his knee. That sucks so hard.

Bruce Bochy has been managing baseball from 1995-2019. His record in that time? 1995-2019.

Bochy's losing overall record is surprising, but for better or worse, Bochy will be judged by his 3 World Series titles. All of the other managers with that many titles are either in the HOF or will be.

Bochy's losing overall record is surprising, but for better or worse, Bochy will be judged by his 3 World Series titles. All of the other managers with that many titles are either in the HOF or will be.

Many teams Bochy coached had limited talent.

Those Padres teams were butt for sure, but I'm surprised his record with the Giants is .500. His teams never lost more than 98 games (twice) or won more than 98 (once - Padres WS year). Lots of seasons with 76-88 wins.

Oakland looking pretty good for the AL WC - two game lead and their last six are Trout-less Angels and Mariners. Rays probably have an easier schedule since Cleveland has weird IL series against PHI and WAS.

Crazy that there's still a chance that the Natties don't make the playoffs. The Brewers' schedule is a breeze and the Cubs/Cards play each other seven times. Meanwhile the Nats close against Cleveland and have a five-gamer against Philly, who will be playing spoiler by that point.

Nats play 3 in Miami this weekend. Got to think that the Nats do no worse than take 2 of those. Either the Cubs or the Cards have to lose at least 4 of the 7 remaining games against the other, and if one loses 5 or 6 they are done. Given those circumstances, Nats would need to lose almost all of their remaining 9 games (1 with STL, 5 with the Philles and 3 with the Indians) to fall out of the WC. Possible, but unlikely.

BTW, Brewers run without Yelich has been hard to believe. Their lineup (without CY) and starting staff is mediocre at best, and MIL has a negative run differential on the season.

Last edited:
I don't keep too much attention but over in the AL it seems highly unusual that a team with a .580+ win % is going to be left out of the wild card, ain't it?

Definitely rarer with the second WC, though the Rays had 90 wins last year and missed the playoffs.

Final week of the season. Division races look (mostly) in hand, as does the NL WC. AL WC could be fun - here's to rooting for game 163!

Also feels like three of the four MVP/Cy races are in hand, with the NL Cy up for grabs. I guess you could make a Cole vs Verlander argument for AL Cy, but it feels like Verlander will get the "career capper" votes from the OWG brigade. Not that him winning is wrong...

Final week of the season. Division races look (mostly) in hand, as does the NL WC. AL WC could be fun - here's to rooting for game 163!

Also feels like three of the four MVP/Cy races are in hand, with the NL Cy up for grabs. I guess you could make a Cole vs Verlander argument for AL Cy, but it feels like Verlander will get the "career capper" votes from the OWG brigade. Not that him winning is wrong...

Who do you have winning the AL and NL MVP?

I think both remain in doubt. Trout will miss essentially all of September, and have heard arguments for Bregman, LeMahieu, Santana even Chapman.

Bellinger or Yelich seemed like a lock in the NL, but Yelich will miss the last 3 weeks of the season (and the Brewers have somehow played better without him) and Bellinger has struggled in August and September (hitting under .250). Rendon, Freeman and Acuna are all in the mix now.

Trout was a lock in July and his injury hasn't changed that. Yelich's injury probably pushed Bellinger over the edge. I qualified it with "feels like", having seen the OWG brigade's voting tendencies in the past.

Personally, I'd make a case that Pete Alonso is the NL MVP, if you're defining it as "valuable" and not "best". But that's probably why I'm not paid to cover sports.

Back