• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What level of performance would Manning need....

Comfortable make the NCAAT, not be embarrassed in it, and a reason to believe the following season will be a further step forward.

The Deacons would have to reach their goal...a championship. ACC regular season, ACC tournament or the NCAA tournament. No championship...no job.

1. Sweep UNC & Duke
2. Finish ranked in the Top 25
3. Finish Top 4 in the ACC regular season
4. Get to ACC tournament championship game
5. Elite Eight
6. Top Ten recruiting class

Wake Forest has only had 17 seasons where we finished in the AP Top 25. And have been to the ACC tournament championship game only 10 times. And only 4 appearances in the Elite Eight. So basically it would take Manning having one of the 10 or so best seasons in Wake history.

Wake Forest has only had 17 seasons where we finished in the AP Top 25. And have been to the ACC tournament championship game only 10 times. And only 4 appearances in the Elite Eight. So basically it would take Manning having one of the 10 or so best seasons in Wake history.

He is getting paid like he is the best. More than anybody else who ever coached Wake Basketball.

And he’s had four of the worst seasons in Wake basketball history. Gotta even it out somehow.

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure Ranger is purposely putting goals that are likely unattainable at this point. Basically, he'll guaranteed be fired under Ranger's standards since he cannot possibly reach those goals.

Yep, given his complete failure here so far Manning needs to do something significant to justify his return. A high water mark of making the NCAA tournament, immediately losing, and then having half the team leave without a talented recruiting class to replace them is insufficient.

Team
Make NCAAs
Top 6 in the ACC, in contention for a double bye for the Tourney until the final week at least.
Win a combined 3 postseason games (NCAA tournament and ACC)
Top 25 recruiting class
No major losses this year

Player development (I'll take two of these three, as youth is always a little unpredictable)
Have Wright or a freshman demonstrate unequivocally that they are ACC caliber poinnt guards
Have Hoard play his way back into the NBA draft lottery conversation
At least one other player to make at least All ACC 2nd team

With a new coach, I'd be OK with an NIT berth and playing our way out of the first day of games in the ACC Tourney. Manning needs to go beyond that because I would need to be convinced that everything I saw the past two years was a fluke.

If the question is what will walke say: I say it’s within a game or two of a winning record.

Hatch is still here. I have to think there is some mix of don’t care to compete/winning is t the goal and danny and theMiracles worship that blinds him

Crack the top 25 during season
Over .500 in ACC
Win 2 games in ACC tourney
Win one game, preferably 2, in NCAA
Have a solid class coming in

And no big exodus this off season, which obviously is a prerequisite to achieving any of the above.

Final four and top 50 incoming class for 2020. At this point I’d expect Kansas to step in and still wouldn’t be sad.

And he’d go. Because the fans have been mean.

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure Ranger is purposely putting goals that are likely unattainable at this point. Basically, he'll guaranteed be fired under Ranger's standards since he cannot possibly reach those goals.

I'm good with that. I agree that he needs to achieve something extraordinary to justify his return for another season.

It’s all gonna work out. Beard makes final four. Texas fires Shaka and hired beard. Currie fires manning in May. Hires shaka

Must defeat every team in the ACC at least 1x and defeat the bottom half of the conference both home and away. Must win at least 2 games in the ACC tourney and make the Sweet 16.

Forget what we, the fans, want. We wanted him out this year. The media seems surprised we are keeping him. Given all that, if we make the NCAA's he's getting another year. This was the year to fire him, no one would have questioned our logic. If he makes the NCAA's there is zero possibility he get's fired.

This is just the reality of the situation.

Back