• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fifty Seasons Ago

Deaconblue

Reaction score
Fifty seasons ago, Charlie Davis set the single game Wake Forest scoring record.

The date was February 15, 1969. The opponent was American University. Charlie scored 51 that game.

All the more amazing, he did it without a three point line and without a shot clock.

That was an era when teams could and would hold the ball in a stall to prevent large scoring differences.

Charlie is still one of the greatest to ever wear the old gold and black on the basketball court.

I remember it lie it was yesterday! I was 13. And no 3 point shot. The man was magic with the ball. One of the all time greats no doubt.

CD had the best outside shot in Wake history. He was the best scorer period. What might he have averaged with the 3pt. line and the shot clock?

Loved hearing Gene Overby shouting "bottom" over and over again when Davis was hot.

From a 00's Deac, can any of the old-timers shed some light on what happened to Davis' pro career? It looks like he had two relatively productive seasons to start his career - 1972 with the Cavs and 1973 with the Cavs and Blazers - but only played eight games his third season before being waived by the Blazers. Seems a little odd that someone that was so accomplished in college, was the 7th-leading scorer on his team as a rookie, and was the 6th-leading scorer on his team his second year wasn't able to get back on the court again.

Looked around on Google a bit and couldn't find anything there, either.

From a 00's Deac, can any of the old-timers shed some light on what happened to Davis' pro career? It looks like he had two relatively productive seasons to start his career - 1972 with the Cavs and 1973 with the Cavs and Blazers - but only played eight games his third season before being waived by the Blazers. Seems a little odd that someone that was so accomplished in college, was the 7th-leading scorer on his team as a rookie, and was the 6th-leading scorer on his team his second year wasn't able to get back on the court again.

Looked around on Google a bit and couldn't find anything there, either.

I think that he got injured. Charlie had a rather skinny build, and he was not the muscular type. I don't think that he was very well suited physically for the relentless grind of pro-basketball. He was extremely elusive and very difficult to defend because he could take you off the drive if you crowded him, nail a jumper over you, if you gave him any room, and he was almost automatic from the free throw line if you fouled him. He just had a very soft outside shot and tremendous moves around the basket. He was the best Wake basketball player I ever saw live. The guy was magical on the court. IIRC, he was the Black player ever selected as ACC player of the year.

I think that he got injured. Charlie had a rather skinny build, and he was not the muscular type. I don't think that he was very well suited physically for the relentless grind of pro-basketball. He was extremely elusive and very difficult to defend because he could take you off the drive if you crowded him, nail a jumper over you, if you gave him any room, and he was almost automatic from the free throw line if you fouled him. He just had a very soft outside shot and tremendous moves around the basket. He was the best Wake basketball player I ever saw live. The guy was magical on the court. IIRC, he was the Black player ever selected as ACC player of the year.

CD weighed something like 165 lbs. and couldn't handle the physicality of the NBA.

He was indeed the first black ACC player of the year - a year after UNC's Charlie Scott claimed that a black player would never win it. In one of their match-ups, CD lit Scott up so badly in the first half that Dean switched defenders. He was the best college shooter I ever saw until I watched Dell Curry. Hate to say it but JJ Redick was even better.

We had a great chant for CD. AHHHH, CD!

IIRC, CD was the only visiting player to ever receive a standing ovation at Carmicheal. The Skipper followed in Charlie’s footsteps and was close to being as good. His sophomore season was amazing and then he shot less with the development of Rod, Schelly and the addition of Frank Johnson. WF had some great guards during that era. MugRandolph and CP3 weren’t bad when they came along either. Great memories are all we have at present.

Back