• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball 2019-20 - KP #100 - #70 Offense / #149 Defense

Manning says we're going to take a big step this year...and he even goes on record saying it will be a step forward for once.

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...ake-huge-improvement-Manning-says--137661132/
Manning gave the most in-depth glimpse at what he considers ‘taking a step’ in his interview after practice Monday at the Shah Basketball Complex.

“It’s certainly going to be something that’s a huge improvement based upon where we were at last year,” Manning said. “I can’t give you a number total or anything like that, but it will be a different look. I’m sure of that.

“We definitely have the potential.”

I hear we beat ECU on a half-court buzzer beater in the secret scrimmage. ECU had 3 potential starters that didn't play FWIW. Big win. Danny is finding his groove.

Lost in all of the Tariq talk...is this real or sarcasm? Please tell me Manning's most recent quote isn't based on slipping by ECU. I assumed we had played really well in the scrimmage, at least giving Manning some sort of reason to think he has a much better team this year.

Lost in all of the Tariq talk...is this real or sarcasm? Please tell me Manning's most recent quote isn't based on slipping by ECU. I assumed we had played really well in the scrimmage, at least giving Manning some sort of reason to think he has a much better team this year.

First two sentences are real (well, from ECU insiders) and the last two are sarcasm.

Because I hate Danny Manning and am bored at work, I decided to do a deep dive into some things. Best I can count, Danny has had 37 scholarship players play for him while at Wake. For this purpose, I’m not going to consider the 13 currently on the team. Out of the remaining 24, 9 (37.5%) have transferred before graduating, 3 (12.5%) were kicked off the team, 1 (4.5%) successfully left for the NBA, 4 (16.7%) left for non-NBA basketball, 4 (16.7%) graduated and played one more year elsewhere, and 3 (12.5%) played 4 years for Wake. To reiterate, 3 out of 24 players finished their eligibility at Wake Forest, and only 1 has ever played a minute in the NBA.

Out of the current roster, Childress is a lock to use all 4 years at wake, Chaundee and Mucius might, and the rest have realistically less than a 20% chance if I was guessing.

FWIW, WF's opening opponent, BC, lost an "secret scrimmage" to URI 77-70. KP ranks URI #83 and WF#80 heading into the season. BC's starting PG Derryck Thornton, grad transfer from USC, but started his career at Duke (well traveled), tweaked an ankle and sat out most of the 2nd half. BC led by 3 at the half.

In an much awaited opener, WF plays at BC a week from Wednesday -- November 5.

FWIW, WF's opening opponent, BC, lost an "secret scrimmage" to URI 77-70. KP ranks URI #83 and WF#80 heading into the season. BC's starting PG Derryck Thornton, grad transfer from USC, but started his career at Duke (well traveled), tweaked an ankle and sat out most of the 2nd half. BC led by 3 at the half.

In an much awaited opener, WF plays at BC a week from Wednesday -- November 5.

Super Bowl Wednesday!!!

Given this news and that Sarr had ballooned to 258, I'd like to know about our off-season conditioning program....

How is that possible?
Aren’t these guys being monitored and working out all summer.
Summer is the time when you get in shape for the upcoming basketball season......not out of shape.

Are we playing a regular open exhibition this year? I didn't even see one on the schedule.

Like many other teams, WF elected to play 2 secret scrimmages (@ Winthrop and ECU) in lieu of exhibition games. Word has been spotty, but WF apparently "won" both of them against weak opponents.

Feel sorry for the kid, an achilles tear is a tough thing to recover from.

How is that possible?
Aren’t these guys being monitored and working out all summer.
Summer is the time when you get in shape for the upcoming basketball season......not out of shape.

Given that Wake Forest basketball has been a complete and utter failure for 10+ years now, it really shouldn't surprise you.

Never heard of the guy. Could make the difference between winning 3 games and winning 4 games.

May delay his transfer date by a year.

Feel bad for the kid. Hope he's able to get a good education in the meantime. Optimism for the season pretty much still non-existent. Hopefully his absence doesn't become an excuse for poor results.

Well, if we go from 4 ACC wins to 6 that will be a 50% improvement. It's easy to claim improvement when you're starting at the bottom.

Is this injured person a scholarship player or a walk-on? It doesn’t seem like anyone really knows anything about him.

Scholly. Came in over weight too and was losing it, down 30 lbs from start of year

Is this injured person a scholarship player or a walk-on? It doesn’t seem like anyone really knows anything about him.

He’s the #92 player in his class.

At PF.

Back