• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball 2019-20 - KP #100 - #70 Offense / #149 Defense

Fascinating that schools are turning down exhibition revenue. Sucks for lower division schools.

Wake Forest Basketball 2019-20 - Tariq Ingraham out for season

Why play an exhibition with public footage when you can play a scrimmage behind closed doors against another top 100 D1 team

Wake’s team is full of division II and Iii caliber players so they constantly get experience playing against that level of player in practice. No need for exhibition games.

Why play an exhibition with public footage when you can play a scrimmage behind closed doors against another top 100 D1 team

I think there is a pretty big difference. In the secret scrimmages there is a lot of situational work, and it doesn’t have the flow of a real game.

I think Manning’s teams often look most underprepared at the very beginning of the season, and his only decent year (2016-2017) we started with 4 exhibition games (3 in Canada). I think that helped that team get off to a decent start.

I mean Guilford Technical Community College and Davidson County Community College have basketball teams, so Danny would’ve had a decent chance of getting an exhibition win if he’d just made the call.

I think Manning’s teams often look most underprepared at the very beginning of the season, and his only decent year (2016-2017) we started with 4 exhibition games (3 in Canada). I think that helped that team get off to a decent start.

I'm pretty sure it was just because we had one of the best offensive players to ever play the college game. That season was one of the worst defenses that Wake has ever had. The only reason for any amount of success was the absurdly good offense of John Collins. He carried the entire season on his back. It had nothing to do with some meaningless exhibition games.

Manning's offenses: 121, 131, 7, 72, 175
Manning's defenses: 125, 128, 176, 130, 186

Did anybody got to that morning practice yesterday?

I'm pretty sure it was just because we had one of the best offensive players to ever play the college game. That season was one of the worst defenses that Wake has ever had. The only reason for any amount of success was the absurdly good offense of John Collins. He carried the entire season on his back. It had nothing to do with some meaningless exhibition games.

Finding and recruiting John Collins as a three star was almost like finding the Cullinan diamond in a coal pile.

I, of course, agree that Collins and our offense carried us that year. I disagree that the exhibitions were meaningless. Manning's teams look particularly unprepared at the start of seasons, and they did that year too in the first couple exhibitions. But by the final exhibitions they were playing a bit better, which allowed the team to get a decent start to the year.

I went to the practice; couldn't really tell that much, lots of stopping and starting. I was a bit disappointed in Neath - thought he tried but nothing seemed to work for him. Massoud and Oguama had some good moments. Massoud seemed to play mostly as what I assumed was a starter. White appears to me to be solid and well under control. Walters was active in communicating with the players, primarily as to defense.
All in all, thought we looked just okay and did not come away overly optimistic. Hope I'm wrong, as certainly it would be hard to evaluate too much from what the fans saw yesterday. Would be interested in hearing others' reactions.

Finding and recruiting John Collins as a three star was almost like finding the Cullinan diamond in a coal pile.

Basically, Manning won the $5000 scratch-off lottery at the gas station while picking up cigs and beer, and then Wellman cashed it in for him like it was the winning Powerball #.

Last edited:
That’s a lot of portraits. The guys look like they’re having a good time. Good for them. We’ll see if it lasts.

That’s a lot of portraits. The guys look like they’re having a good time. Good for them. We’ll see if it lasts.
They should be having a great time. They have access to facilities, gear, support and an education that far exceeds most other players with similar basketball talent.

Watched condensed versions of Unc and Duke in their four public appearances. Duke’s freshmen don’t appear as strong as their last two groups. Matthew Hurt is a lot like Keith Van Horne. Joey Baker can hit threes if left open.Tre is a defensive menace otherwise they don’t seem that interested in guarding people. Not impressed but if they beat Kansas will have to eat my words. Unc has a solid Pg in Cole Anthony. He’s a good player and Brooks can play. Also, Leaky Black has a nice game.

Of all the mistakes Wellman made, not going and getting Nate Oats when he was available could be the worst of them. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like that's a guy who would have built a NC here.

Back