• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball 2019-20 - KP #100 - #70 Offense / #149 Defense

who was the hoops team S&C coach when Dave Odom went to 7 straight NCAAs, or when he and Prosser went to 12 of 15?

who cared?

Similar to Manning he is just another person on the staff who overestimates his abilities. No growth from anyone on the staff, no growth from the majority of players that actually do stick around this dumpster fire.

If Horn was so good at his job getting players in shape why could Junior year Doral Moore barely run up and down the floor a full game, why did Dinos gain so much muscle after he went pro in Greece, and why did Sarr not make a big jump going into Sophomore year physically? The majority of weight Sarr "gained" during his exaggerated bulk up last summer was body fat, which he lost pretty quickly and showed no real gains last year.

The only player who bulked up each year is Chaundee, and if you stand next to him for 30 seconds you can tell he is a genetic freak. I can tell you from personal experience that when Dinos was in the gym after his freshman season working out with Wilbekin, Dinos MAX on the bench was 165. That's less than his body weight, after a year with Horn. His passion for the kids and the program is what kept him from being criticized sooner.

This is so wrong. Kevin Durant couldn't bench press 185 at the combine once after his freshman year. Who cares. He's still one of the greatest basketball players ever. Dinos bulked up significantly by his JR year. Sarr was really coming around by the mid-part of Soph year before he was injured. Big guys sometimes have to grow into their bodies. You don't show up one summer and just start throwing up huge weight numbers, not unless you're a genetic freak or you're doing something unnatural.

This is so wrong. Kevin Durant couldn't bench press 185 at the combine once after his freshman year. Who cares. He's still one of the greatest basketball players ever. Dinos bulked up significantly by his JR year. Sarr was really coming around by the mid-part of Soph year before he was injured. Big guys sometimes have to grow into their bodies. You don't show up one summer and just start throwing up huge weight numbers, not unless you're a genetic freak or you're doing something unnatural.

while racer and netflix sound like idiots, you honestly just mentioned Kevin Durant and Olivier Sarr in the same sentence

never change

I agree with this. Have no idea if Horn is the best or worst strength and conditioning coach in college basketball, but basketball players aren't trained like defensive tackles.

This is Steph Curry at Davidson:

stephen-curry-davidson-wisconsin.jpg

Did it matter that he probably couldn't bench 100? He was the most prolific scorer in college hoop. Then went on to lead his team to multiple NBA titles, while never significantly changing his body type.

I get that the WF basketball program sucks right now; so, the natural assumption is that anything and everything associated with the program, including the strength and conditioning aspect, is pathetic. Everyone expects another abysmal year, but at least it appears that those in the program are trying to get better. Have no problem with that.

Last edited:
I agree with this. Have no idea if Horn is the best or worst strength and conditioning coach in college basketball, but basketball players aren't trained like defensive tackles.

Did it matter that he probably couldn't bench 100? He was the most prolific scorer in college hoop. Then went on to lead his team to multiple NBA titles, while never significantly changing his body type.

I get that the WF basketball program sucks right now; so, the natural assumption is that anything and everything associated with the program, including the strength and conditioning aspect, is pathetic. Everyone expects another abysmal year, but at least it appears that those in the program are trying to get better. Have no problem with that.

So now we’re adding Steph Curry to our list of outliers/exceptions!

He wasn't playing in the ACC. Nor does his game require him to get in the lane where having a better body type would matter.

So stupid. You're comparing Durant to Dinos. Yes, strength doesn't matter when you're one of the 10 best players in the world. For the record, Durant is way more athletic than Dinos, in foot speed, lateral agility, and vertical jump. So if someone like Dinos wants to become as good as Durant, hitting the gym and developing those things is important.

If Manning and Horn can get a few of Wake's players playing like Durant and Curry, then Wake's basketball team *might* win a few more games than I expected this year.

Wake Forest Basketball - Offseason 2019 - In the gym w/ Ryan Horn

The only three times I remember fans caring about strength coaches is Horn now, under Caldwell when we weren’t fast and puked too much, and Reff’s weird spat about Grobe’s S&C program post-Seattle Bowl based on what he heard from the Orlebar twins.

Would anyone care about the strength coach if we were winning?

Of the top of your head, name Clawson’s strength coach. You probably can’t. He’s been here as long as Horn. He just doesn’t have a standout beard and cheers like a mad man when we are down 20.

This all comes from Horn's progress reports about how great our players are transforming every summer and ready to attack next season. Its all bullshit, like everything else from this staff and the one before it.

The only three times I remember fans caring about strength coaches is Horn now, under Caldwell when we weren’t fast and puked too much, and Reff’s weird spat about Grobe’s S&C program post-Seattle Bowl based on what he heard from the Orlebar twins.

Would anyone care about the strength coach if we were winning?

Of the top of your head, name Clawson’s strength coach. You probably can’t. He’s been here as long as Horn. He just doesn’t have a standout beard and cheers like a mad man when we are down 20.
People definitely cared about it when Clawson commented on how surprised he was with how weak our players were when he first took over.

This all comes from Horn's progress reports about how great our players are transforming every summer and ready to attack next season. Its all bullshit, like everything else from this staff and the one before it.

You need to take a vacation. Physical strength training and conditioning is important, but being a talented basketball player is more important. Even if they make progress in the gym, it's not a guarantee they are going to be great players on the court. Kudos to Horn for at least adding some excitement for the players, particularly on a team where Manning doesn't seem to connect as well with younger guys as some may like.

Notably, while several people swiped at me for having Dinos and Durant in the same paragraph, zero people responded to the second part of the paragraph that Dinos did in fact put on significant muscle and weight by his JR year compared to his FR year. And yes, obviously since the words "Dinos" and "Durant" were separated by a few words but not the "correct" amount of words and a requisite spacing line, I was basically saying they are the same player, talent and all. Obviously.

Most S&C Coaches’ role on game day is to be a hype man. Look at that dude from Northwestern who always wore short sleeves even in the snow. I think Clemson has a guy like that. Michigan maybe?

I know everybody was impressed by the jump JC made and that worked out.

Rumor was JC told Doran he better get his ass in the weight room if he wanted to make the jump.

We are just a really bad team with poor in game coaching and decision making. No amount of muscle gain is going to overcome that.

Jeez. This thread has certainly run its course. Horn is either a good or great S&C coach. Unfortunately, he's the brightest link in a chain with a bunch of weak ones. Leave the man be. He will certainly land on his feet should the next coach bring in his own.

To be fair, football coaches do not stand out nearly as much as basketball coaches. Size of field-of-play, number of players/coaches, proximity to field-of-play, size of sidelines, etc. play a role.

Alabama football strength coach, Scott Cochran, is well known and plays the similar roll of Horn pumping up the crowd, dancing on the sidelines, etc... the obviously difference is there are many reasons to be hyped. Just doing it while we are getting blasted on our way to a 10-20 record seems to be the disconnect.

I think I have our new season's motto/hashtag!!! Here it is if you are sitting down as this will be YUGEEEE!

PUMPING YOU UP!!! We immediately have Danny and Ryan pull together a video montage of Hans and Frans from SNL days but instead it will be Danz and Hanz (sorry having to force Horn to rhyme). They can put on muscle suits and do the whole rendition and that will really get the fan base in a lather and excited for the season. You will be seeing absolute trash on the court, but at least you can get some chuckles from the pregame video???

Who is with me????

Back