• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball 2019-20 - KP #100 - #70 Offense / #149 Defense

7 wins would be the absolute work of a coaching wizard and would earn Danny boy another 10 year extension!

Yeah, I don't think there is any doubt that Wellman would stick his hand up Currie's butt and make him say 7 conference wins shows Danny is making great progress.

low bar and all, but if Danny gets to 7 wins in the conference with this group then it will be his best coaching effort by miles

The ACC did go to 20 conference games, and WF does get BC and Clemson twice, along with GT and VT at home. No matter how craptastic WF is, we seem to give State trouble, and some reasonably good team like FSU will sleep walk through a game at the Joel. Think 7 ACC wins is doable. Just don't want anyone claiming progress if WF gets to that number because the bottom of the ACC is pathetic and because the ACC added two conference games.

I think Wake will drop one or both of the BC and Clemson away games.

I'm with you on some team laying an egg at the Joel and Wake eking out a win.

Some "fun" facts from KP's updated projections on the WF's 2019-20 basketball season:

Overall record: 12-16
ACC: 7-13

#68 in offensive efficiency
#104 in defensive efficiency

ACC Projections (with national ranking):

1. L'ville 15-5 (#3)
1. Duke 15-5 (#4)
3. UVA 14-6 (#5)
3. UNC 14-6 (#6)
5. FSU 12-8 (#14)
6. State 11-9 (#28)
7. ND 10-10 (#42)
8. Cuse 9-11 (#51)
8. VT 9-11 (#54)
10. Miami 8-12 (#65)
10. GT 8-12 (#66)
10. Pitt 8-12 (#67)
13. Clemson 7-13 (#79)
13. WF 7-13 (#80)
15. BC 4-16 (#119)

Well that is EXTREMELY Generous.

If DM wins between 0-3 games in conference, he is likely gone. If he wins 4-6, he probably gets a pass and will be evaluated after the following year's results. If he wins 7+...we are fucked. I hate it for the kids/players and call me a bad fan if you want, however I am cheering for the long-term health of the program and therefore want us to lose every single game by as many points as possible with a coaching change being forced on Currie and the administration before or shortly after 2020...

If he wins 7, the team will still lose around 17 games. That is not going to earn the man a crown. He already got his crown when he signed the extension. If the new regime gives two shots about the program, he will be bought out at season’s end. If they don’t, he will continue to build the worst resume of any ACC coach of all time.

You know we're desperate when we keep trotting out a transfer who will play 1 season for us as our media rep.

At least he seems like a good dude. I thought he did a good job with that.

Agree with Creamy that he'll play a big role for us this year, and he'll probably be one of the more enjoyable players to watch.

You know we're desperate when we keep trotting out a transfer who will play 1 season for us as our media rep.

Assuming Brandon graduates this year, he will become the 2nd Manning-recruited player to graduate in his 6 year tenure. Culture!

The 2 guys who stuck it out were an undersized, under-the-rim, legacy PG, and an undersized, under-the-rim SG. He's just too good of a recruiter for the ACC!

Wake Forest Basketball - Offseason 2019 - Wake Forest Media Day!

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/c...c492c4e878.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Good article from Conor at Media Day.

Sarr was up to 258 this summer? That’s not a good weight for him. Glad he’s lost most of that weight. His size last year (around 235) was fine... He just probably needed another year to tighten up a bit. More gains likely not ideal IMO.

All of this talk of giving a shit on defense is good to hear, but I won’t believe it until I see it.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/c...c492c4e878.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Good article from Conor at Media Day.

Sarr was up to 258 this summer? That’s not a good weight for him. Glad he’s lost most of that weight. His size last year (around 235) was fine... He just probably needed another year to tighten up a bit. More gains likely not ideal IMO.

All of this talk of giving a shit on defense is good to hear, but I won’t believe it until I see it.

Danny has been hanging his hat on defense since day 1.

Wake employs the "guard your damn man" defense. It's base on man to man theories but without any help. It readily gives up open three's and uncontested lay-ups but strongly contests mid range range jumpers. It can be a very successful defense in theory so long as the opponent is not good at lay-ups or 3-pointers.
It takes a very specialized type of player to execute this defense and hopefully Manning finally has those types of players this year.

Les put a solid Q&A w/ Coach Manning on 24/7... https://247sports.com/college/wake-forest/LongFormArticle/Wake-Forest-Basketball-Danny-Manning-Media-Day-QA-Part-1-137406826/

I had heard this from other sources, as well, but the team is practicing in the morning this year (6:45am). This is new for WFU basketball... Is it something that other schools do?

It worked for Temple. Feels more like Danny wants to go ahead and get his day over with by 9:00 am, and then stroll around campus eating and hanging out, but acting like he is working.

Danny has been hanging his hat on defense since day 1.

Wake employs the "guard your damn man" defense. It's base on man to man theories but without any help. It readily gives up open three's and uncontested lay-ups but strongly contests mid range range jumpers. It can be a very successful defense in theory so long as the opponent is not good at lay-ups or 3-pointers.
It takes a very specialized type of player to execute this defense and hopefully Manning finally has those types of players this year.

Can’t tell if serious, but giving up open layups is sort of an issue.

Back