• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball 2019-20 - KP #100 - #70 Offense / #149 Defense

Also, Torry Johnson seems like a great kid, and he hit a huge late game shot and two key FTs in the win over State (a favorite moment of the season), but with WF adding Neath and White, not sure what his role would be next year. If keeping Johnson for an extra year fills up all roster spots and keeps WF from getting a useful front-court grad transfer, not sure I understand the reasoning behind seeking an extra (6th year) of college. Johnson graduated from HS in 2014 and red-shirted both the 2014-5 and the 2016-7 seasons at NAU.

He will need to make it as a 3 and D guy. I think he can get on the radar even on a very bad team.

What if all the players wanted to stay and were planning on leaving only of Manning was let go? Seems crazy to me, but appears to be what happened.

Then they are as clueless as their coach and we should reconsider moving the voting age up to 21. That said, kids are impressionable. Of course they are loyal to the guy (and their dad) who gave them a scholarship to play college basketball. They don't know that the grass really is much greener on the other side.

Then they are as clueless as their coach and we should reconsider moving the voting age up to 21. That said, kids are impressionable. Of course they are loyal to the guy (and their dad) who gave them a scholarship to play college basketball. They don't know that the grass really is much greener on the other side.
Agreed. Probably hard for them to turn on the guy(s) that recruited them and have coached them. But if they proactively stated they would all transfer if staff was let go without even knowing who the replacement would be, that is concerning. Obviously Brandon is in a different spot since his dad is a coach. Very hard situation for him

The WF press release says the knee injury hampered Chaundee over the final months of the season. Thought his played improved during the season, which makes that improvement even more impressive. While the program's outlook remains dim, really excited to see Chaundee further elevate his game next year. Like his game.

Yep - He has the skills to be a much better player than he showed early in the season when he was WAY too content with jacking a 3 early in the shot clock instead of getting to the basket or pulling up for a mid-range jumper.

Key word dad

Key questions I have for next season:
Will Hoard leave for the NBA? Should be answered by 4/21 at the latest
Will Sarr improve to the point where he can be reliably counted on at the 5? Can he stay healthy? Will he even be on the roster?
What can White bring to the table? Can he shoot the 3? He was a good 3 point shooter his first two years at Charlotte, but mediocre as a Junior
Will the 2018 freshmen make any kind of a leap as sophomores? Wright Jr, Mucius, and Wynn all showed flashes (to varying degrees), but we need Mucius and Wright to step it up significantly.
Will any of the 2019 freshmen be good enough to contribute from day one? Minutes will be there for Massoud if Hoard leaves, but he is so skinny (like Mucius). Neath is a wild card, to a degree.... Need something from him at PG. Oguama & Coleman are likely zeros in year one... Hoping Coleman can give a few minutes.
Will Miles Lester see the floor?
Can we bring in any grad transfers to help in the post?
Can Childress do a better job running the offense? Do we even run an offense?

The obvious caveat on all of these is that Manning has proven he is not up to the task of coaching in the ACC. That alone has to keep expectations very low.

Assuming Torry Johnson is eligible/returns and Hoard and Sarr return, WF has all available schollies committed for next year. Is that correct?

Assuming Torry Johnson is eligible/returns and Hoard and Sarr return, WF has all available schollies committed for next year. Is that correct?

that is correct

and WF will be undermanned in the post and undermann(ing)ed on the sideline

I'm not sure the team looked any worse at the end of the year when Sarr was injured.

What if all the players wanted to stay and were planning on leaving only of Manning was let go? Seems crazy to me, but appears to be what happened.

Yes, the players like Danny a lot.

Which is interesting since some of our former players did not like Danny at all (specifically Doral)

I'm not sure the team looked any worse at the end of the year when Sarr was injured.

Fair, but in those games without Sarr, Smart averaged 18 mpg and Hoard played 30 mpg.

Smart is gone and Hoard is probably gone.

Super thin underneath. I don't think Massoud or Mucius are strong enough to play minutes at 4/5... And Oguama/Coleman are likely projects.

Of course, how much worse can you be than 11-20? So maybe it doesn't matter.

Yes, the players like Danny a lot.

Which is interesting since some of our former players did not like Danny at all (specifically Doral)

well, Doral got benched in favor of a freshman walk-on in his last game for WF, so this is not surprising - although of course the feeling was pretty apparent long before that day

Heard some rumors about JC and Danny butting heads a bit as well (or at least that JC's camp did not feel that Danny utilized his full skill set - I know we've talked about that at length before though so I won't rehash).

Fair, but in those games without Sarr, Smart averaged 18 mpg and Hoard played 30 mpg.

Smart is gone and Hoard is probably gone.

Super thin underneath. I don't think Massoud or Mucius are strong enough to play minutes at 4/5... And Oguama/Coleman are likely projects.

Of course, how much worse can you be than 11-20? So maybe it doesn't matter.

If Wake is to have success next season (big IF, I know) Wake will need players better than what Coleman and Oguama look like they are bringing to play down low.

Maybe one of them has a monster jump over the summer. (IMHO, not likely). Maybe Sarr adds some more good weight, stays healthy and plays like he was expected to do when recruited. Maybe Hoard returns and does likewise and dominates games. Maybe Wake finds and gets a good pf/C via grad transfer route.

Lots of Maybes. Most likely none of these come to fruition and Wake stays about the same as this past season.

What are Hoard’s options? I think he will leave too since we have nothing but bad news but where is he going to go ?

Second round NBA I would guess. Agreed that he should stay

Stay for what reason, though? You think Danny Manning will magically figure out how to use him after a 20 loss season where he was so out of place that his own fans questioned his energy, motor, interest, etc.?

Back