• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball 2019-20 - KP #100 - #70 Offense / #149 Defense

I still like Horn a lot. I don't care what his bio says... Do you think he wrote that himself? I like his enthusiasm on the bench... We could use more of it with our head coach having zero personality.

I think Horn has done a great job getting the players physically ready to play in the ACC... It's the lack of basketball coaching that is the issue.

In terms of the social media stuff, I don't think we do anything different from other schools... In fact, we've probably been lacking over the years. I could see criticizing individual players for posting nonsense about performance on the court when we've had little to no team success... But I don't think this falls into that. I think whatever helps to motivate the team during the "grind" of summer, when you are spending more time in the weight room than on the court, is a positive.

Just my opinion. But I understand that when the team sucks, everything is subject to scrutiny.

Agree

I don't recall Tory Johnson being a defensive stopper. Was that just poor recollection on my part?

Probably not the best term to use but yes, as thatguy2016 points out, it's all relative.

These were, admittedly, mostly optimistic. Maybe that's the result of being removed from watching them actually play for a few months. Thanks for reading and posting.

Probably not the best term to use but yes, as thatguy2016 points out, it's all relative.

These were, admittedly, mostly optimistic. Maybe that's the result of being removed from watching them actually play for a few months. Thanks for reading and posting.

What's the alternative?

I don't get at all the Horn critics here. He is an emotional guy who loves the kids he trains and does a great job of getting them in fantastic shape in order to be ABLE to win games, it is not his fault Manning can't coach his way out of a paper bag!

I don't get at all the Horn critics here. He is an emotional guy who loves the kids he trains and does a great job of getting them in fantastic shape in order to be ABLE to win games, it is not his fault Manning can't coach his way out of a paper bag!

I mostly agree with you. If the program were even the slightest bit respectable, everyone would love him.

There is some disconnect between his enthusiasm and the absolute shit being put on the floor.

If Horn gets the team in good enough shape, maybe they can do a calendar to raise money for Danny's buyout.

Similar to Manning he is just another person on the staff who overestimates his abilities. No growth from anyone on the staff, no growth from the majority of players that actually do stick around this dumpster fire.

If Horn was so good at his job getting players in shape why could Junior year Doral Moore barely run up and down the floor a full game, why did Dinos gain so much muscle after he went pro in Greece, and why did Sarr not make a big jump going into Sophomore year physically? The majority of weight Sarr "gained" during his exaggerated bulk up last summer was body fat, which he lost pretty quickly and showed no real gains last year.

The only player who bulked up each year is Chaundee, and if you stand next to him for 30 seconds you can tell he is a genetic freak. I can tell you from personal experience that when Dinos was in the gym after his freshman season working out with Wilbekin, Dinos MAX on the bench was 165. That's less than his body weight, after a year with Horn. His passion for the kids and the program is what kept him from being criticized sooner.

Similar to Manning he is just another person on the staff who overestimates his abilities. No growth from anyone on the staff, no growth from the majority of players that actually do stick around this dumpster fire.

If Horn was so good at his job getting players in shape why could Junior year Doral Moore barely run up and down the floor a full game, why did Dinos gain so much muscle after he went pro in Greece, and why did Sarr not make a big jump going into Sophomore year physically? The majority of weight Sarr "gained" during his exaggerated bulk up last summer was body fat, which he lost pretty quickly and showed no real gains last year.

The only player who bulked up each year is Chaundee, and if you stand next to him for 30 seconds you can tell he is a genetic freak. I can tell you from personal experience that when Dinos was in the gym after his freshman season working out with Wilbekin, Dinos MAX on the bench was 165. That's less than his body weight, after a year with Horn. His passion for the kids and the program is what kept him from being criticized sooner.

You are obviously closer to this than I am, but I will mention a couple of thoughts I had while reading this...

*Junior year Doral Moore was light years beyond Frosh/Soph Doral Moore in terms of being able to play longer stretches. It's not unusual for things to take a while with someone his size.
*These are young adults who are maturing into men at different rates... Dinos now as a pro at 23 years old is going to be different than he was at 18/19 years old. And he also had a shoulder injury during his Sophomore year, which does a number on your strength.

But I don't really disagree with you on Sarr... We can wait and see there. Would also note that Wilbekin looked more like a grown man a couple of weeks ago than he ever did at Wake.

Honestly, it's tough for me to argue if Horn has been successful or not. Clearly, the team hasn't had much success... But I've always been a fan of Horn's. I just don't have much to compare him to given I don't pay attention to basketball strength & conditioning coaches at other schools.

Horn is way down the list of things wrong with MBB. He has a job to do. Can't fault him for cheering on the team in blowouts. Otherwise he'd never cheer. His bio was written by the same people who have been putting out tripe for years in the AD. I hope this is addressed under Currie.

The formula is to recruit players committed to player development who make up a team that gets old and stays old. Big difference between 17-19 and 20-22 year old young men. Win with juniors and seniors who have developed mentally and physically.

Horn is way down the list of problems, but he's no bright spot either. Wake Basketball has not been renowned amongst the college basketball community for physical transformations and increased athleticism over the past 5 years. He is not some shining star amongst a pile of shit.

Horn is way down the list of problems, but he's no bright spot either. Wake Basketball has not been renowned amongst the college basketball community for physical transformations and increased athleticism over the past 5 years. He is not some shining star amongst a pile of shit.

And he has had ??? to work with for four years?

I’m not crazy about horn’s beard. There I said it.

This PROGRAM sucks so much dick that we are now all the way down to analyzing the strength and conditioning coach.

Back