• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 NBA Draft Thread: Hoard playing for Blazers in Summer League

Honestly surprised that Hoard wasn’t taken in the second round. Obviously not surprised that Moore and Crawford weren’t taken last year (I don’t think anyone than Moore was surprised).

Still think Hoard ends up having a decent NBA career. I think his game translates to the modern NBA atmosphere.

He's got work to do. I didn't think he would get drafted. He's got too many holes in his game without having that big upside skill he has or could grow into to overcome the holes.

But this to me is less about Hoard dumb dumb choice of insisting on being a one and done despite needed to improve in several areas - and more about another kid that Manning has failed over the last 5 years. Hoard doesn't leave if he has something he wants to come back to finish or even something likeable enough to come back to improve his draft stock.

Just remember, manning was brought back because of his ability to retain players...what a joke wellman was/is

He still made the right decision. He wasn’t going to bet any better under Manning and staff. Also, he would suffer through another 20 loss season in an empty coliseum.

Manning just took his Twitter victory lap. This man is a moron.

All three that went early got bad advice. They should have gone the transfer route to upgrade their stock like a lot of our other players.

This is a severely damning indictment of Manning, although most of us knows he sucks already and have for some years. Hope Currie is smarter than Wellman, although he probably is not, since Wellman was his "mentor"

This is a severely damning indictment of Manning, although most of us knows he sucks already and have for some years. Hope Currie is smarter than Wellman, although he probably is not, since Wellman was his "mentor"

Wellman 2.0

First 10 picks made sense, after that there were quite a few head scratchers. NBA used to draft on production, then drafted based on potential, and last night it was about shooting ability. This is perhaps the dumbest priority to draft on, as shooting is the skill that can be most improved through practice and time in the pros. Every elite shooter will tell you the key to their success is repetition. Sure, don't draft someone with the Melo Eggleston's jumper form, but anyone whose form is not broken can be turned into a decent shooter.

That’s three Wake players who have declared and left early only to not get drafted.

Manning is not giving these kids good info. what good is he? three guys leave early and none drafted...fuck

All three that went early got bad advice. They should have gone the transfer route to upgrade their stock like a lot of our other players.

So you are saying that Hoard should have sat out next season, then played for another college team the season after that? Yeah, that makes sense.

Manning is not giving these kids good info. what good is he? three guys leave early and none drafted...fuck

Sounds like it's more of a case of them not listening to him and/or not respecting his advice.

K should have gotten a D for his coaching this year. There's no excuse for that team not making the Final 4. He also grossly under-ultilized/misused Reddish.

How did K misuse/underuse Reddish? I agree with your first statement.

This result is damning of Manning. Top 25 high school player, before he started playing at Wake scouts thought he had lottery potential. Impressed at the Jordan game, and Nike Basketball Academy. When I watched him I saw him as a less bouncy Andrew Wiggins. Danny Manning turned him into a shitty, undersized stretch 4. He regressed at Wake Forest. In ESPN's draft write-up they discussed how he even played the 5 at Wake. If he went to a program like Duke or Kentucky he would never have played the 5. I look forward to Chaundee Brown playing some 4 this year, and his fall from top 40 high school player, to 4 year player at Wake whose only pro future is in Adriatic League. Manning is such a bad coach. Doesn't use his personnel right, doesn't seem to know the strengths of his players, doesn't have a team identity, and basically is trying to fit a round ball in a square peg every season. When your game plan prioritizes making the refs get you to the free throw line and switching all PnRs on defense even if they are 30 feet from the hoop, it doesn't matter who you recruit you're going to be a loser.

Even crazier that Zion was a top 5 pick in his class and Ja was unranked even though all these people came to see Zion play.

Love how they're showing the grind these kids have been putting in. Too many ignorant people just think these kids are just "natural" athletes who can show up in the gym and do their thing. They put in work.

Great point.

Heading to the Blazers on a two-way contract.

So that means he will be playing in the G-League next year and not overseas, right? I am far from an expert on NBA contracts, but I would think just playing in France would pay him more and give him more future NBA flexibility. Perhaps he (and his people) think that a two-way contract at least keeps him in-front of an NBA team, while playing in France has a risk of being "out of sight out of mind"?

Even crazier that Zion was a top 5 pick in his class and Ja was unranked even though all these people came to see Zion play.

Love how they're showing the grind these kids have been putting in. Too many ignorant people just think these kids are just "natural" athletes who can show up in the gym and do their thing. They put in work.

Ja was 5'11 back then, did not have the vertical he had now, grew a lot as a player and physically in college:

Back