• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 NBA Draft Thread: Hoard playing for Blazers in Summer League

Yes, but still a stupid decision. No matter how you look at it, Hoard needs two years more, and DM is an abject failure. How someone who has been around basketball at a high level for so long and sucks is beyond me. I make better decisions during the games from my couch.

hoard needs two more years learning from an abject failure? that makes no sense.

Ky Bowman signed with the Warriors. Given their shortage players and lack of depth, decent possibility exists that he could make their roster.

That's a good situation for Bowman and the Warriors. They could use more scoring from their backup guards. Plus Shaun Livingston entered the league 15 years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hoard not getting drafted had a major influence on losing Bilau.

Hoard is 2 inches taller than the Blazers #1 draft pick with similar holes in his game. This is not a great situation for Hoard.

Hoard is 2 inches taller than the Blazers #1 draft pick with similar holes in his game. This is not a great situation for Hoard.

Do they play the same position?

Are there any notable free agents on the roster?

Hoard's opportunity has been lessened with the Blazers trading Evan Turner for SF Kent Bazemore.

Hoard's opportunity has been lessened with the Blazers trading Evan Turner for SF Kent Bazemore.

I don’t think Hoard is an NBA small forward at present and the guys he most resembles play both forward spots in Portland. Baze is a wing; Aminu and Harkless are combos. If somebody overpays Aminu this summer and he walks, then there’s really only one player ahead of Hoard (if he makes the final roster). There arguably isn’t a better situation for him in the league.

He's got his contract so he's getting paid. Not sure why anyone cares to debate at this point, whether he plays or not he's going to get between $75-275k this year, and if all else fails and the NBA has no interest I'm sure he won't mind playing in France for $500-750k a year.

You should have been CJ's valet. :)

Wasn't CJ, its a guy I played high school ball with and he left the team before CJ got there. In hindsight when he told me how much he made, it could have been for his whole contract and not yearly. That being said he bought his mom a house and I asked him how much he made in Europe since I didn't think it was that high. He told me in that range which surprised me, and that he also didn't have to pay any taxes on it. I never checked if that was legal, but I'm assuming he was told by someone with knowledge that he didn't have to pay any income tax.

If he didn't pay any taxes, that was likely a career number. If he's making $500K/year, he'd either have to become a citizen of another country or pay US taxes on most of it.

He's got his contract so he's getting paid. Not sure why anyone cares to debate at this point, whether he plays or not he's going to get between $75-275k this year, and if all else fails and the NBA has no interest I'm sure he won't mind playing in France for $500-750k a year.

Most French teams have a TOTAL salary budget around 2M -3M euro. Hoard with his overall lack of elite skills I doubt would command a top salary.

Last edited:
Says the sad old man who doesn't want young people to succeed. Maybe, to me, mock drafts are about as exciting as Pride Month. Why bother pretending you are a student when you plan to leave after 2 semesters.

I wonder if you'd tell a computer geek who came up with a hugely successful app that he/she should turn down millions to graduate: Yes, stay in School.

OWG hates gays too. what a shock. the world will be such a better place when your generation dies off.

Wasn't CJ, its a guy I played high school ball with and he left the team before CJ got there. In hindsight when he told me how much he made, it could have been for his whole contract and not yearly. That being said he bought his mom a house and I asked him how much he made in Europe since I didn't think it was that high. He told me in that range which surprised me, and that he also didn't have to pay any taxes on it. I never checked if that was legal, but I'm assuming he was told by someone with knowledge that he didn't have to pay any income tax.

US Citizens have to pay US income tax on all income no matter where it is earned but get a tax credit for any foreign taxes paid. What likely happened is that they gave him a gross up to cover whatever taxes he owed on his base salary.

The more I take in about the Sixers draft, the more frustrated I am. Seems like the real mistake was in telegraphing the pick so hard before the draft to make it so obvious their guy was Thybulle, and then giving up picks to Boston who went and got Carsen Edwards, who absolutely would have worked for the Sixers at the same 24 spot. Trading away the two early second round picks is also frustrating, especially because their reasoning doesn't make sense, it doesn't clear more cap space, and Shayok isn't going to be a contributor, he's on a 2-way. The only way it really makes sense is if they plan to actually give Shake Milton a contract and they couldn't get any of their guys in the early 2nd to agree to two ways or stash deals. In the end, the Sixers got their guy, but it doesn't really seem like they went about it the right way.

This may seem like a dumb question but when a team "buys" a draft pick, is that money coming out of cap space? If not, where is it coming from?

Back