• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 NBA Draft Thread: Hoard playing for Blazers in Summer League

I had no idea of the financial commitment left on Chris Paul's deal:

2019-20 - $38,506,482
2020-21 - $41,358,814
2021-22 - $44,211,146

$120 million+ over the next 3 years for a 34 year-old PG that has seen his best days as a player.

Seems like it has become vogue to bash CP3, but that contract is insane. Wouldn't think any team, even the Lakers, would be dumb enough to assume that financial anchor.

Rockets would have totally thought it was worth it if they had won the championship though.

Rockets would have totally thought it was worth it if they had won the championship though.

Yep. And they’ll still be contenders if they draft well and make good offseason moves. I’ve always thought Paul’s career would mirror Stockton’s and he’s at the stage where Stockton made two finals.

Why would either team do that?

Because Boston was great two years ago when they were moving the ball (and Kyrie was hurt). CP3 is a ball distributor. They are losing Kyrie and they don't need Hayward. Boston would need to throw in a draft pick, but Rozier arguably took a step back this past year AND he is going to ask for more money than he should get. I think it makes a lot of sense for Boston.

Houston has a problem. CP3 was on fire in Game 6 against GS and he was healthy, and was essentially sidelined to watch Harden jack up shots over the last quarter. They argued heatedly by all reports after the game. The relationship may not be broken, but it sure is strained. I don't think CP3 has any interest in standing in the corner for 3 out of 4 possessions again next year.

I really don't think CP3 will be there next year. I suppose he could try and swing a trade to the Lakers. He's be great in Indiana as well. But Boston could really get better by trading for him. He's the guy that could really help their young wings.

From Chicago's NBA guy at the Athletic:

Keep an eye on Jaylen Hoard. He’s the first one-and-done player in Wake Forest history — and he might not be ready for the NBA. Hoard, a 6-foot-9 forward from France, is a projected late second-round pick, one of scores of players who might have prematurely declared this year. You can only hope guys like him aren’t making a huge mistake. Hoard sounds confident he isn’t.

LOL. Not that thing. Man, I forgot Carmelo had a rep as a winner before he was drafted.

I think the point was that Hoard seemingly knows he's going to get drafted.

Of course, it seems like Moore thought the same thing and that was delusional.

I'm a believer in the draft Hoard and stash him in Europe theory... That seems like the only way he'd get drafted (imo).

I think the point was that Hoard seemingly knows he's going to get drafted.

Of course, it seems like Moore thought the same thing and that was delusional.

I'm a believer in the draft Hoard and stash him in Europe theory... That seems like the only way he'd get drafted (imo).

It's one thing if he's already playing there. The French league is mediocre. Unless, they have a tie in with a Spanish, Turkish, Italian or Israeli team and they like him, a team should sign him to a two way contract and train him themselves.

2019-20 - $38,506,482
2020-21 - $41,358,814
2021-22 - $44,211,146

$120 million+ over the next 3 years for a 34 year-old PG that has seen his best days as a player.

Seems like it has become vogue to bash CP3, but that contract is insane. Wouldn't think any team, even the Lakers, would be dumb enough to assume that financial anchor.

he just signed it last summer

2019-20 - $38,506,482
2020-21 - $41,358,814
2021-22 - $44,211,146

Isn't that roughly what LeBron has left? He is listed at $35,654,150 and is in his 15th season, two more than CP3. But add at least another season or maybe two on his legs due to the 8 great runs into the Finals plus all the other playoffs on his legs [which CP3 doesn't have]. Yea, I found the rest--$37,436,858, $39,219,565 & $41,002,273 thru 2022. SO LeBron earns less than CP3 yet has accomplished way more--WOW! But irrespective to all of that, even though it is LeBron, how effective is he going to be over the next 3 seasons either? Can't see him getting that disorganized bunch making any kind of run in the playoffs anytime soon, can you?

All that said, teams need to quit paying these kinds of salaries to the older stars and start using more of the new wave stuff to pay the guys coming out of the rookie contracts the bigger contracts when they are physically more able. Teams are hopefully learning from the mistake contracts like the LA Angels made by signing Albert Pujols to his $225 mill 10 year contract when he was already old & slow. Or how about Albert Haynesworth & his 7 year, $100 mill contract for the Redskins when he was already over the hill. That list could go on & on. Point is pay the younger producing players, not the aging players.

The older players are the union heads who set the contract/salary structures to benefit the older players. Not shocking that CP3, as head of the players union, has that contract.

Back