• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 NBA Draft Thread: Hoard playing for Blazers in Summer League

Sekou D impressing in Dallas today. Measured in at a legit 6'10 in shoes and has shown perimeter skills and high level athleticism.

I still expect CP3 to be traded prior to the draft or at least this summer.

It sucked watching him play with Harden and their relationship is broken. I still think a Gordon Hayward and 20th draft pick for CP3 makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Talk about a PERFECT pick:

Knicks
Moses Brown C - HT: 7-1 - WT: 227 - WING: 7-4 - FROM: UCLA - Fr.
A big center with impressive size/skill combo and is beginning to fill out his frame. Lacks a consistent post game and might not have the foot-speed for the modern NBA.
Comparison : Jerome Jordan, Loren Woods

If one of these three is available the Sixers should take him in the first round- Kabengele, Cam Johnson or Thybulie. With their four picks in the second round, they should take three shooters and one stretch big. I really hope they keep Boban.

I really like Cam Johnson. Think he's this year's Shamet. Would be a steal to get him at 24.

I really like Cam Johnson. Think he's this year's Shamet. Would be a steal to get him at 24.

He's 6'8, long and shot about 47% on a ton of threes per game and can play at least two positions on D.

Yeah frankly don't see him or Kabengele around at 24, but you never know.

I like Johnson better than anybody else coming out of UNC this year in terms of impact and longevity in the NBA.

Seth Davis compiled anonymous feedback on 40ish prospects (Hoard not included) from NBA scouts is pretty interesting (subscription required): https://theathletic.com/1026141/201...eir-honest-takes-on-2019-nba-draft-prospects/

A few ACC guys:

R.J. Barrett, 6-7 forward, Duke, 18. “Say what you want, the kid just produces. His greatest asset is he’s an alpha. He thinks he’s the best player in the gym. Winner’s mentality but cannot shoot the ball right now. Much more athletic in transition. I wonder if he’s going to be a better version of Shabazz Muhammad. I don’t know if he’ll ever be a star, but he’ll be good. At times I thought he was playing for his numbers instead of making the right play. I think the added space of the NBA is going to help him. His selfishness is certainly a question, but the kid has won at every level.”

Darius Garland, 6-2 guard, Vanderbilt, 19. “Big-time leader. Terrific passer. Much improved jump shot. He’s just a great basketball player. He changes speeds, has great balance and vision. If he’s not top five I’ll be shocked. Only played four games but everyone saw him at the big events and saw him practice at Vanderbilt. I guess you compare it to Kyrie Irving, who only played nine games. He’s Jeff Teague-ish, maybe better. He’s not going to be a great athlete or great defender but I could see him being a 15- to 20-point scorer just because he can make shots. The background check comes out great.”

Kyle Guy, 6-2 guard, Virginia, 21. “He’s tough and feisty but, man, he’s little. I’m really surprised he put his name in the draft. He’s one-dimensional, but he can be streaky as a shooter. He’s not going to be able to guard anybody. He can’t play point guard. Can he be Seth Curry? Can he be Bryn Forbes? For our league, he’s too small. I don’t see it. He’s got big ol’ nuts as we all saw. Not the most laterally athletic guy, but he’s pretty bouncy vertically.”

De’Andre Hunter, 6-8 forward, Virginia, 21. “He’s just steady. Probably the best on-ball defender in the draft. Just a great feel for defending. I think he’s a better shooter than he’s shown. He’s a poor man’s Kawhi Leonard. He’ll never fail because he can always guard. He deferred a little too much to the other guys at Virginia. Not flashy. Not sure he’s the toughest kid but he’s not soft. He’s an undersized 4, but the way the game is played today that’s not a problem. He’s going to be one of those guys who makes a lot of progress offensively because he’s going to do things he wasn’t allowed to do in college.”

Ty Jerome, 6-6 guard, Virginia, 21. “I’m a huge fan, but I can’t convince our staff. An absolute winner. Smart, tough, confident player. The biggest concern with him is defensively being able to stay in front of the ball. His arms are really short by NBA standards. He can’t run, can’t jump, but he wins every game. He reminds me of Greivis Vasquez. You’re going to count him out every time, but he’ll come back and prove you wrong. Has a ton of physical and mental toughness. That usually means you figure it out.”

Cameron Johnson, 6-9 forward, North Carolina, 23. “Boy, I tell you what, he’s growing on me. He’s tall and he can really shoot. Those guys usually play in our league. My concern is when you make him put it on the floor, can he be anything other than a straight-line driver? Not the toughest dude but a first-rounder, no doubt. Why hasn’t his body gotten better after five years of college?”

Cameron Reddish, 6-8 forward, Duke, 19. “He’s a bit of an enigma. People compare him to Paul George, who also had a reputation of not playing hard while he was in college. The big questions are his mind and his toughness and his fight and his will. He wants to be the perfect player but there is no such thing. I don’t like the way he deferred to the other guys. To take him in the top five when he has no alpha in him would be a big risk. He reminds me of Tim Thomas, a guy with all-star talent but questionable mental toughness. Why can’t he finish at the rim? Why did he commit like two charges a game? Even when he was in high school, his team needed special wild cards to get in tournaments, and his high school team lost a bunch of games. He shot some low percentages this year. Physically he’s an elite big wing who can guard multiple positions.”

I think Zach Novell could be this year's second steal for a good team. He do a bit of everything and has an NBA ready body.

Thybulle reminds me of a guy I was high on coming out of school, Jonathan Isaac. Isaac is longer and taller, but they're both havoc defensive players with a limited offensive game. Think it'll depend where he lands if he's going to be successful. They're about the same age.

Thybulie weights more at ^'5(6'6) than Isaac did his frosh year at F$U at 6'11.

I wouldn't put it past the Sixers to try to trade #24 and couple of second rounders to move up a few slots. Atlanta might be the target at 17 if they traded other picks.

What I've really liked about the time before the draft is that Zion and Ja seem to be such great kids and have such solid family foundations. It's kinda natural and expected that to get to be as great as they have been you would likely have a bit of arrogance or overt ego, but these two have massive personalities and firm bases. That's great

To be among the best in the world at anything, one has to believe in themselves. When you add being in the public eye at such a young age, it's really hard to keep your feet in reality. They've done it.

I hope the Pels keep Randle and find a sucker to take Solomon Hill.

Thybulle reminds me of a guy I was high on coming out of school, Jonathan Isaac. Isaac is longer and taller, but they're both havoc defensive players with a limited offensive game. Think it'll depend where he lands if he's going to be successful. They're about the same age.

Thybulle is a likely 1st round pick who played 4 years of college basketball. Doesn't happen often anymore.

My love affair with Thybulle is ongoing. There is a 10 minute video done by U-dub on him regarding his Mother that is just so good/sad.

if pelicans trade out from #3 they might be able to dump Hill with it

Back