• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So if Manning goes .500 and makes the NIT

I thought that about 2018-19. Was pretty wrong.

But I think you’re right.

I feel the top 3 teams in the conference were strong as they normally are in the acc. VT amd FSU were above average...but after that the conference really fell off the season. The bottom 5 would have been bottom 5 in any conference...including the SoCon

Silly thread and silly fans. Make or break year? What was last year? Or year before. There is no telling with wf. If Currie doesn’t fire him May 2 then there’s no telling what we can expect after next season. Manning should be long gone.

This is the only logical reply. You don't get a "make or break year" when you have been head coach for 5 seasons with 3 of them being 20 loss seasons and another with 19 losses and the high point of making an NCAA play-in game in the middle of those awful seasons.

If Currie doesn't fire him on May 2, then he is nothing more than Wellman's bitch.

In 3+ weeks, we will know if Currie is a clone of his predecessor. Hopefully, we will not have to call him Clone Currie.

If he isn't fired May 2 then there is a threshold for him to be retained in 2020-2021. How low is that threshold?

I don't think it is a silly question at all.

Any of you who think there is the slightest chance that Manning will be fired in May have obviously never worked in a large corporate or University environment. For now Curry is a new employee who is a Hatch gopher— nothing will change in the near future. Over time Curry will gain power, and start to set the seeds in motion to make a change next March.

Any of you who think there is the slightest chance that Manning will be fired in May have obviously never worked in a large corporate or University environment. For now Curry is a new employee who is a Hatch gopher— nothing will change in the near future. Over time Curry will gain power, and start to set the seeds in motion to make a change next March.

Well I wasn’t saying it would happen. I think the point was it should have changed already. I admit I don’t understand why Currie can’t make AD decisions his first day as AD though. Any self respecting candidate would have made it clear he would fire manning on day one if someone hadn’t already stepped in and done the right thing. Again I understand that isn’t how things roll at WtF but that needs to change it we want to stop sucking.

For all these "Currie won't tolerate this" and "Currie won't stand for that" responses, what makes you think Currie is any different than Wellman? The guy either made the decision to keep Manning for a sixth year or was OK with it when he signed on. His ability to tolerate lack of performance seems pretty strong. Why not keep Manning for a seventh year after yet another faceplant?

For all these "Currie won't tolerate this" and "Currie won't stand for that" responses, what makes you think Currie is any different than Wellman? The guy either made the decision to keep Manning for a sixth year or was OK with it when he signed on. His ability to tolerate lack of performance seems pretty strong. Why not keep Manning for a seventh year after yet another faceplant?
My hope for Currie was a result of the way the news was leaked. Hoped that it was evidence some donors were moving against Wellman and trying to force his hand on Manning. Once Wellman announced he wasn't going anywhere until May 1st, I realized Currie probably wasn't the answer I was hoping for. Hope I'm wrong, but worried that after the UT situation, he just sees Wake as a safe place that he can get paid well, not rock any boats, and retire on a 7 figure salary. If that's the case, our program may just be done.

I've worked in a very large corporate environment for many years, and it's not at all unusual for somebody new to a leadership role to start making changes the first day. It almost seems like they have more power on day one than they'll ever have in that position.

That being said, I have no idea how a university athletic department compares to a large corporate environment.

Last edited:

We have no way to know what role Currie played in Manning being retained, if any. There're certainly a lot more options than the 2 you've listed. How about we let him officially take over the role before we start acting like we know what kind of AD he'll be?

The same thing happens in university environments when new deans take over especially if they’ve been around for some time.

Huh? Then why hire the guy to begin with if he isn't ready to take charge day 1? Especially considering he's apparently already behind the scenes "learning the ropes" and has previous AD experience.

The ONLY way I see Manning coming back is with a NCAA Tourney appearance next year and a strong 2020 class.

Neither of those seem likely. At all.

Of course, I’m still shocked and irate that he hit another year, so what do I know?

Right. Hatch was convinced to let Manning stay on another year with the program in full dumpster fire mode, so why not let him keep going and continue paring down that buyout? Ugh.

This. No chance Manning is fired in May.

This is the only logical reply. You don't get a "make or break year" when you have been head coach for 5 seasons with 3 of them being 20 loss seasons and another with 19 losses and the high point of making an NCAA play-in game in the middle of those awful seasons.

If Currie doesn't fire him on May 2, then he is nothing more than Wellman's bitch.

Good post. Currie said Wellman was his mentor. He was either being polite or we are looking at Wellman 2.0.

So far it looks like the latter. May 2 Currie can be a hero but Wake does not have a history of that kind of a bold move.

It would be pretty sweet.

I'm all for getting rid of Manning ASAP... But unless Currie has somebody pretty damn impressive ready to go on May 2nd, I think it's probably a mistake to fire him after the carousel has stopped spinning this year.

Caveat is that it worked out OK for Ohio State and Chris Holtmann, but I don't think it's a wise course of action if you want to hire a top candidate.

Back