• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So if Manning goes .500 and makes the NIT

Huh? Then why hire the guy to begin with if he isn't ready to take charge day 1? Especially considering he's apparently already behind the scenes "learning the ropes" and has previous AD experience.
To clarify my post—Hatch apparently blessed retaining Manning, and there were public statements regarding the retention. Curry cannot possibly go against Hatch in the short run. If all of this was behind the scenes and there was no presser, things might be different.

To clarify my post—Hatch apparently blessed retaining Manning, and there were public statements regarding the retention. Curry cannot possibly go against Hatch in the short run. If all of this was behind the scenes and there was no presser, things might be different.

Fair enough and point taken.

The public statements came from Wellman right?

would rather Currie fires manning with no replacement than keep that loser around

The ACC next year is gonna be the worst it's been in a good 7 or 8 years. All the good teams (besides UVA) are losing the majority of their rosters. I could see a scenario in which Wake goes 7-13 in conference next year. Hopefully with "Oh Heaven's Yes" no longer in charge, our AD sees that this isn't nearly good enough at Wake.

Me personally, I'm not taking any chances with this shit show anymore. I'll be rooting for 0-31.

Plus you will probably have UVa losing both Hunter and Jerome early for the NBA along with Guy & Salt. That is the majority of their scoring leaving only Diakite and Clark to handle the load and bringing in Huff as a starter.

Plus you will probably have UVa losing both Hunter and Jerome early for the NBA along with Guy & Salt. That is the majority of their scoring leaving only Diakite and Clark to handle the load and bringing in Huff as a starter.

yeah but the recruits they're all bringing in will still be better than our team, especially with an apparent dead-man-walking failure as their coach.

It's going to be one more year of Manning. Lame duck year. Then Currie will make a great hire.

It's going to be one more year of Manning. Lame duck year. Then Currie will make a great hire.

Such a bad decision from a recruiting stand point.

And this is the best case scenario.

Most likely scenario is slight improvement over 11-20 and Hatch telling Currie to stay the course.

Wake’s dead cat bounce from the bottom dwelling of the ACC should be enough improvement to justify keeping Manning for another season. That and his insurmountable buyout.

Salt is the only senior that plays and Huff will be a lot better than him. We’ll see who departs, but UVA has to be a massive favorite in the ACC next season.

Huh? Then why hire the guy to begin with if he isn't ready to take charge day 1? Especially considering he's apparently already behind the scenes "learning the ropes" and has previous AD experience.

There is a difference between "ready to take charge" and making a major personnel change at a time when hiring a good replacement is not likely because the pool of candidates has been reduced to marginal choices. And said replacement would need to be given at least three years. Better let the existing poor performer hang on one more year than get stuck with a less well known person who could be as bad or worse for three years.

I have little confidence that he will make a great hire. His first basketball decision is to keep a coach who is responsible for 3 of the 6 seasons in which Wake has lost 20 games (plus a 19 loss season too).

This is A.D. spin, to the max.

A lot of people in powerful spots punted this year.

Nobody ponied up.

Until the night before the journal article was published, the whole staff thought they were gone.

Nobody (shy of Wellman, Hatch, and the BoT) knew what was happening.

To act like Currie will do anything different is to put blind faith in an organization that's proven itself incapable of holding our trust.

I don’t think anybody honestly thinks he’s going to fire Manning on May 2. But he certainly could and if he doesn’t, he owns this Manning debacle.

Kihei Clark was ranked #393 in 24/7 last year and he’s playing important minutes as a freshman.

I think UVA will be just fine.

I’ve been saying for awhile that he’s gonna make the NIT next year and get a shot in 20-21, then miss the NCAAT and be really gone. His buyout plays a huge factor in this obviously.

Back