• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So if Manning goes .500 and makes the NIT

West Virginia going 15-21 and making it to the 2nd round of the CBI this year gives me a small glimmer of hope that we could overachieve and reach similar results.
Without knowing our exact schedule and whether Hoard is staying, 15 wins and sneaking into the Top 100 seems like a reasonable expectation for next season. Go Deacs! #newbeginnings

Without knowing our exact schedule and whether Hoard is staying, 15 wins and sneaking into the Top 100 seems like a reasonable expectation for next season. Go Deacs! #newbeginnings

The ceiling is the floor.

NC State and Clemson went 9-9 in conference and were bubble teams and we know how much they sucked in actuality. NC State is losing their leading scorer and probably their second leading scorer. Clemson is losing its top three scorers.

NC State and Clemson went 9-9 in conference and were bubble teams and we know how much they sucked in actuality. NC State is losing their leading scorer and probably their second leading scorer. Clemson is losing its top three scorers.

We may retain all of our scoring from the worst team in the ACC by a significant margin. We could make a huge jump next year and still only be as good as BC, GT or Pitt were this past season.

Clemson ended the season at 36, similar to our team in Collin's second year. NC State was 41. Do you honestly think we have the potential to be a top 50 team next year after finishing out this season at 174?

For fuck's sake, yes. I think this team has the potential to be a bubble team next year. Hoard's retention and improvement is the key. Adrien White averaged 15 ppg at UNC-C and will be a big help in the backcourt on offense and defense. We're still woefully thin in the frontcourt but no more so than a lot of teams.

So do we agree Manning being fired after next season is not a done deal if the team reaches some level of success?

Scary. I guess I am going to have to outwardly cheer against the Deacs.

Let's assume Wake could sneak into the First Four in a similar style to St. John's this year (21 wins, sprinkling of bad losses, bad OOC schedule, two or three solid wins - although I still have no idea how or why they were picked), we would still need to improve about 100 KP spots just to get to that level. And St. John's was an obvious outlier (worst rated KP team to make the tournament as an at large that I could find over the last two decades).

Wake could be a lot better next year and still be nowhere close to the bubble. Especially considering that rumors flying around that Hoard is leaning towards the draft, I don't see any situation where Wake makes the tournament. Or is even close to the tournament for that matter.

The major issue is going to be the schedule. ACC goes to 20 games next year, we have four or five other guaranteed games against top 150 opponents. I don't see Wake sniffing 20 wins.

I don't know what would give anyone the impression that Manning is out after this year. If $18M was too much to deal with, then knocking a few million off for another year served isn't going to change things. The results don't matter.

Let's assume Wake could sneak into the First Four in a similar style to St. John's this year (21 wins, sprinkling of bad losses, bad OOC schedule, two or three solid wins - although I still have no idea how or why they were picked), we would still need to improve about 100 KP spots just to get to that level. And St. John's was an obvious outlier (worst rated KP team to make the tournament as an at large that I could find over the last two decades).

Wake could be a lot better next year and still be nowhere close to the bubble. Especially considering that rumors flying around that Hoard is leaning towards the draft, I don't see any situation where Wake makes the tournament. Or is even close to the tournament for that matter.

The major issue is going to be the schedule. ACC goes to 20 games next year, we have four or five other guaranteed games against top 150 opponents. I don't see Wake sniffing 20 wins.

tenor.gif

How bout football Biff? We going 3-9 again?

Put another way, Wake could be the most improved team in the ACC, win 18 games, and would still likely be on the NIT bubble

So do we agree Manning being fired after next season is not a done deal if the team reaches some level of success?

Scary. I guess I am going to have to outwardly cheer against the Deacs.

This seems to be the case. Even Wake would not keep a coach for one year with no chance to keep him longer. When you set a baseline of back to back 20 loss seasons with horrible losses sprinkled in, there will almost surely be some improvement.

The most likely scenario is that Manning coaches in the 20-21 season as well.

If Manning gets 13 or more wins, he will be back. Wake basketball is a rudderless ship in the doldrums just hoping for something to happen.

Why would anyone believe that winning 13 games is enough to keep your job with a new AD, fresh off of back to back 20 loss seasons?

Just making shit up.

I have little confidence that he will make a great hire. His first basketball decision is to keep a coach who is responsible for 3 of the 6 seasons in which Wake has lost 20 games (plus a 19 loss season too).

Wake basketball '19-'20: the drive for 5*

*19+ loss seasons

Seeing how much leeway losing players has bought him, Manning's biggest off-season concern is whether to push Hoard out the door and aim for 8-10 wins, buying him at least 2 more years to "rebuild" and talk up getting players to the pros, or to lobby Hoard to stay, aim for 15 wins and and guarantee at least one more season due to progress. Either option is a win for Manning, but option one seems easier, so I'd expect him to lean that way.

Seeing how much leeway losing players has bought him, Manning's biggest off-season concern is whether to push Hoard out the door and aim for 8-10 wins, buying him at least 2 more years to "rebuild" and talk up getting players to the pros, or to lobby Hoard to stay, aim for 15 wins and and guarantee at least one more season due to progress. Either option is a win for Manning, but option one seems easier, so I'd expect him to lean that way.

This is a real concern.

This is a real concern.
Rest assured though, despite the calm demeanor, he really does want to win. Just don't expect him to shake up his staff, better himself or make any real changes towards accomplishing that goal. His calm inner desire will get the job done.

If Hoard leaves, this team will flail away with no semblance of an offense. oh yeah, we did that last year...but at least we had one player that could score in the post.

Back