• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So if Manning goes .500 and makes the NIT

Two coats Biff...

BiffWax.jpg

Why would anyone believe that winning 13 games is enough to keep your job with a new AD, fresh off of back to back 20 loss seasons?

Just making shit up.

I don’t know what to think about the WF circus anymore.

How is DM still here now? If it’s because of a ridiculous contract, how does that really change next year? It would still be 8 figures guaranteed if the reporting is correct.

I don't know what would give anyone the impression that Manning is out after this year. If $18M was too much to deal with, then knocking a few million off for another year served isn't going to change things. The results don't matter.

This.

The contract would still be shit next year.

The only other theory I’ve seen here is that Wellman somehow acted alone in making the decision to keep DM, defying everyone that has influence at WF. While a lame duck. As an FU for getting pushed out. That does not seem plausible.

The $$ for DM at least makes sense as a reason he is back. But then he would probably be 2 more seasons. And next year results will not matter.

What I'm hoping is that they came to some agreement with Manning with a set expectation on what his performance would be next year and a buyout agreed if that isn't met in order for him to get one more year.

That's said if we make the NCAA tournament next year he'll certainly be back the year after

Seeing how much leeway losing players has bought him, Manning's biggest off-season concern is whether to push Hoard out the door and aim for 8-10 wins, buying him at least 2 more years to "rebuild" and talk up getting players to the pros, or to lobby Hoard to stay, aim for 15 wins and and guarantee at least one more season due to progress. Either option is a win for Manning, but option one seems easier, so I'd expect him to lean that way.

Not sure he gets two more beyond next season if we win 8-10 next year. But he would get one more spinning Hoard situation into bad luck and WF still having to deal with 8 figure contract. Agreed on 15 wins scenario.

2 more years of DM seems to be the floor. The path has opened for 3+.

Wasn't surprised that Manning returned even after this past horrible season. Felt this way mostly because the two most important people in the decision-making process, Hatch and Wellman, were tone-deaf to the growing outrage about the state of the program and because both really like DM. Also, the buy-out obviously played a role too.

Next year, Wellman will be playing golf (or hanging out with Robert Kraft at the Orchids of Asia), and Hatch is now on notice that those ready to make a change are not just the lunatic fringe, but the big swinging dicks that he has to keep happy so that WF can continue to build stuff that are key to Hatch's legacy. While the buy-out will still be an issue (but marginally smaller), think the momentum for a change will lead to a new coach unless WF makes the NCAA tournament (or has a NIT run like Texas). Given where WF is (#174), an improvement to get WF into the top 40 is not happening even if Hoard returns and if Adrian White can hit shots and if the freshman are better than expected. Think about it: is WF anywhere close to having the season that NC State or Clemson just had? Don't think so, and a season like theirs does not allow DM to keep his job.

This is sports. Anything can happen, but feeling confident WF will have a new basketball coach a year from now, even if WF improves enough to get a NIT bid.

Wake Forest has made a commitment to not winning. I don't think that is changing right away.

Wake's chickens have come home to Hatch.

Wake Forest has made a commitment to not winning. I don't think that is changing right away.

Wake's chickens have come home to Hatch.

Yeah, I'm sure that's one of the things they were looking for when they interviewed Currie - a commitment to not winning. Wellman was probably forced out because he could only not win at basketball. He kept winning at everything else and Hatch had had enough. Makes sense when you think about it. :rolleyes:

Why do we still think Wellman was forced out? It’s far more likely he retired and named his successor.

If Wellman was forced out, at a minimum that ridiculous press conference would not have been held. And, really, I would imagine that the only way to force him out would be to front enough money to at least make a substantial dent in the buyout.

Hey Ph I bet you can’t fly a plane worth a shit !

Back