• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake to Open Medical School in Charlotte

This had better help me get more business out of Carolinas HC (er, uh, "Atrium") now that MSD is involved.

Oh great, the Charlotte Law of doctors.

I know med schools and law schools are very different species, but this was my first thought as well.

Might be wise to steer clear of the "Charlotte is the biggest city in the country without a __________ school" shtick this time.

Wake will become one of few (maybe the only?) University that will be running two medical schools in two cities. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Wake will become one of few (maybe the only?) University that will be running two medical schools in two cities. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

There are a fair number of schools now that have different branches. Off the top of my head, VCOM has a branch in South Carolina, LECOM has a branch in Florida, and USF has a branch in Pennsylvania.

Wake is in a different stratosphere of universities than UNC-Charlotte. I see absolutely no correlation between this project and the Charlotte law school.

I thought Charlotte Law was a for profit that had nothing to do with UNCC.

Wake is in a different stratosphere of universities than UNC-Charlotte. I see absolutely no correlation between this project and the Charlotte law school.
UNC Charlotte pushed hard for Atrium to align with the UNC system, but the UNC Board would not approve it.

Winston-Salem has a great research base whereas Charlotte/Atrium has the better clinical services base. W-S will most likely be the joint research base moving forward. At least that's my hope, because I'm directly impacted by the decision. Innovation Quarter is huge and a major player in both business and research, so to me it doesn't make sense to pick up and move when you've got a great thing already started.

I suspect part of it for Wake is that Atrium and CLT were going to find a partner to make a school happen. If UNC system wouldn’t do it, some private group would. Maybe better to be part of it with some control of it than just compete with it?

I do hope it’s a good thing, but I think there’s a fair bit of risk that over time W-S will see some losses.

UNC Charlotte pushed hard for Atrium to align with the UNC system, but the UNC Board would not approve it.

Winston-Salem has a great research base whereas Charlotte/Atrium has the better clinical services base. W-S will most likely be the joint research base moving forward. At least that's my hope, because I'm directly impacted by the decision. Innovation Quarter is huge and a major player in both business and research, so to me it doesn't make sense to pick up and move when you've got a great thing already started.

IQ is in its infancy. But has a great start.

It will be interesting to see how the second med school is developed.

Wake could become medical schools that also have a small undergraduate piece.

Winston-Salem has a great research base whereas Charlotte/Atrium has the better clinical services base.

Not a better clinical base, just larger. Wake has better and higher rated clinical services.

Atrium is about a $10 billion enterprise with 65,000 employees whereas Wake is about $2.5 billion with 13,000 employees.

Charlotte doctors can study opioids, childhood obesity, and syphyllis in W-S. W-S will always have cheap real estate which will make it more cost effective to keep a lot of programs there.

I spoke off the record to someone in the healthcare industry, and he said some to the out of market talk about this deal could mean Atrium taking over Wake Forest Baptist. There have been lots of changes at the top of WFU Baptist in the last few years.

Again, this could just be talk from someone who is a direct competitor to Atrium and WFBaptist, but who knows.

I spoke off the record to someone in the healthcare industry, and he said some to the out of market talk about this deal could mean Atrium taking over Wake Forest Baptist. There have been lots of changes at the top of WFU Baptist in the last few years.

Again, this could just be talk from someone who is a direct competitor to Atrium and WFBaptist, but who knows.

That is my concern, we don't know what the long term plan is. Are we merging, being acquired, taken over, affiliating etc. There are still a lot of different ways this could play out.

Is Wake still collaborating with VT in neurobiology research? VT is expanding the research facilities at its med school. Will the schools be chasing the same dollars. Linking with Atrium may make it easier for Wake to tell VT "sorry, we don't need you any more."

Seems like a bad idea from a Wake Forest in Winston-Salem standpoint. Maybe Hatch wants to move the entire campus? Wake Forest - Charlotte.

Wake Forest Manual Labor Institute -> Wake Forest College [move to Winston-Salem] -> Wake Forest University -> UNC-Wake Forest at Charlotte

Back