• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake to Open Medical School in Charlotte

That is my concern, we don't know what the long term plan is. Are we merging, being acquired, taken over, affiliating etc. There are still a lot of different ways this could play out.

I think it will be similar to the Atrium-Moses Cone arrangement, where Atrium manages the different clinical sites.

Is Wake still collaborating with VT in neurobiology research? VT is expanding the research facilities at its med school. Will the schools be chasing the same dollars. Linking with Atrium may make it easier for Wake to tell VT "sorry, we don't need you any more."

Yes, Wake and VT still have a biomedical science arrangement. That is a research and education arrangement that will likely not be affected by the Atrium collaboration.

Charlotte doctors can study opioids, childhood obesity, and syphyllis in W-S. W-S will always have cheap real estate which will make it more cost effective to keep a lot of programs there.

Wake has the prestige, research, and top quality physicians. Atrium has the bean counters. It should be a good arrangement.

So, someone who knows more than me help me out here.

What did we just do with our med school?

Did we sell it to Atrium and call it a merger? Did we never really own it to start with? Did we create a joint venture with Atrium on part of it and keep part of it?

Don't believe any assets or debt changed hands. Med school in WS will stay as is. New med school campus in CLT will open.

So what actually happened?

Ownership of WFUBMC stays the same and ownership of Atrium stays the same, but the two form a JV and collaboration for new Charlotte school?

It seems like there are a lot of unresolved or at least publicly unresolved questions surrounding this.

Does this hurt the WS Med School? Is there going to be pressure to take some of their top talent and move them to Charlotte?

Wake gets new surgery tower at hospital campus and new eye center tower in innovation quarter. Research hub in Innovation quarter should explode.

Wake gets new surgery tower at hospital campus and new eye center tower in innovation quarter. Research hub in Innovation quarter should explode.

I don't know where they are going to find room for it, but somehow they always manage to cram one more building on that site.

Not sure either, that's just what the internal memos and pr materials say.

5dc091cda613c.image.jpg

Does this hurt the WS Med School? Is there going to be pressure to take some of their top talent and move them to Charlotte?

I do not think that everything has been ironed out yet, but my understanding so far is that Med School students would be accepted to WFUSoM, and then would receive training at both locations during their 4 years.

All talk so far is that Winston-Salem and WFU would remain the central research hub.

Impossible to really know.

But I’m definitely a little worried that over time this will suck away resources from W-S to CLT and be a net loss for W-S.

https://charlotteledger.substack.co...9.GkXmeUbICeI7URmU8jSE2s3QzkSqHdr7zNSpry6lZ-I

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fd3aae27a-57b9-472a-8b4a-0a14eec98542_1502x866.png

Officials said construction would begin early next year and that the first students would be seated in 2024.

In a news conference, Atrium CEO Gene Woods described the new medical school campus in Charlotte as part of the company’s commitment to improve healthcare in the communities it serves, and he announced a $10M scholarship fund that would allow “our black and brown brothers and sisters” to pursue careers in health sciences.

He played a video featuring Mayor Vi Lyles, U.S. Rep. Alma Adams, county commission chairman George Dunlap and Gov. Roy Cooper heaping praise on Atrium and the medical school and predicting it would have a profound effect on health and the economy.

“This is a place where excellence lives and excellence is learned,” Woods said. He said “just seeing these artistic renderings gets me fired up.”

Last edited:
i like it. Good that it's not going to cause huge traffic jams while they build it too.

also i saw that business journal email and thought to myself, "i bet biff has already posted this."

Any more clarity on how the legal entities were impacted? A news article this morning said Atrium Health merged with Wake Forest University, which clearly isn't right.

Only a matter of time until it's WFU Demon Deacons football presented by Atrium Health?

Back