• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake to Open Medical School in Charlotte

More than just a med school though.

Atrium Health, Wake Forest Baptist Health and Wake Forest University announced Wednesday that they plan to join in a deal that will bring a four-year medical school to Charlotte — a major announcement for a city that lacks a four-year medical campus.

The deal also means that the three groups will combine in a yet-to-be-determined way as a new health care system. The impact of that big change for patients was not immediately known.

Charlotte-based Atrium, the metro area’s dominant hospital system, Wake Forest Baptist and the university signed a memorandum of understanding Wednesday. Entering the agreement allows all three group to start negotiations, with the goal of entering into a final agreement about the new health care system this year, according to a news release.

Hopefully for those in Winston this doesn't mean Atrium absorbing Baptist. Having just dealt with Atrium through their anesthesiologist replacement boondoggle and ongoing terrible billing practices, adding another integration is the last thing they're going to achieve in a customer friendly manner.

Oh great another Charlotte company is going to absorb a honest Triad company and riddle it with graft, mismanagement, and incompetence.

So either WFU is extending the university brand to Charlotte and giving people in the largest city in the state a chance to earn a high quality medical degree

or

the university will now be Atrium University but still won't be able to afford Manning's buyout.

Which one is it?

So either WFU is extending the university brand to Charlotte and giving people in the largest city in the state a chance to earn a high quality medical degree

or

the university will now be Atrium University but still won't be able to afford Manning's buyout.

Which one is it?

Wake Forest already has a Charlotte Center in Uptown and has had an MBA program here for 20 years.

This has been talked about for a decade. Wake has never wanted to sell out or move anything to Charlotte. I expect Wake to keep Wake branding. What they call the Charlotte campus who knows.
I'm deeply embedded in the middle of this uncertainty and have tons of questions myself about how it will all play out, but I suspect the research infrastructure (we are under the school) that is downtown in Winston will grow (Atrium doesn't have a large research footprint), but I think general IT infrastructure may centralize in Charlotte simply because they manage so much more, more efficiently. There will definitely be more options as far as rotations and specializations for med students and fellows, and once the h̶y̶p̶e̶r̶l̶o̶o̶p̶ high speed monorail is built between the cities commuting will be easy.

Thinking-Face-Emoji-Magnet-Hmmm-Emoji-Thinker-Emoji-Carved-Wooden-Magnet-Throwing-Shade-Emoji-Wooden-Engraved.jpg_640x640.jpg

I would like to see WFU investing in the actual community it is a part of. Not surprising though, Wake no longer has a soul. It's all about the Benjamin's.

Pro Humanitate*

*Only when those actions are also the same actions that drive as much revenue as possible.

Money in the medical world is pretty important for, you know, educating doctors, countless hours of research, clinical trials, etc.

I don't see how this couldn't possibly be seen as great news for both Wake and Charlotte.

I would like to see WFU investing in the actual community it is a part of. Not surprising though, Wake no longer has a soul. It's all about the Benjamin's.

Pro Humanitate*

*Only when those actions are also the same actions that drive as much revenue as possible.

LOL, W-S would be a bankrupt ghost town without Wake and its investment.

Pro Humanitate*

Have you looked downtown recently? Wake and the Med School have pumped millions upon millions into revitalizing downtown into the Innovation Quarter. What specifically would you like Wake to fund?

Pro Humanitate*

You need to get into downtown Winston. Wake had put truckloads of Benjamins into converting old industrial facilities in downtown into the Innovation Quarter. Those facilities have attracted a lot of private money turning other warehouse and industrial buildings into apartments and condos in the area. There also is new construction, either on vacant land or where the old buildings were so decrepit they had to be torn down.

What more would you want them to do?

Pro Humanitate*

This is a shit take as the merger is going expand our research capabilities phenomenally, and ultimately increase the quality of care we can provide. Just having access to 49 hospitals instead of 7 allows for things like pragmatic quality improvement trials randomized by hospital to study different methods of care. The size alone for an academic medical center makes us a major player that will up our national attention and bring in more resources and investment that will directly stimulate the area.

Yeah for being a top level hater of what Wake has become, I do have to give them love for all the investment the university has put into revitalizing downtown Winston. Now is this mostly motivated as a means to boost admin salaries and bonuses through real estate investment? Probably. But hey it has certainly helped to transform the city.

well catamount is an HD so hard to expect reason from him.

Oh great, the Charlotte Law of doctors.

Back