• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gas explosion in Durham

I posted about this in the CT as well but I was having coffee perhaps 6-7 blocks away and it absolutely shook the entire building. People felt the explosion throughout downtown. The epicenter of it was a small family owned coffee shop that hadn’t been open long (maybe 2 years). Great people and awesome little spot. Fortunately they were closed for the day due to the work there. Their entire building is gone. The building next to it was absolutely ravaged by a raging fire. The building on the other side is home to the Ingram Porsche collection, one of if not the rarest and most valuable collections in the world. The roof of that building is caved in and significant damage is expected. Horrible day for the city.

D3zprAvXsAU6b3W.jpg

Wow

Heard from someone across the street that the contractor was boring for Google Fiber.

Heard from someone across the street that the contractor was boring for Google Fiber.

That looks to be the case based on what many are reporting. Cut right through a 2” gas line.

Anybody else at Wake when the K&W Cafeteria over by Thruway blew up? I remember our dorm room windows rattling to the point that my roommate and I were both like "whoa, what was that?" And then you could hear a bunch of sirens in the distance a few minutes later. Of course back then there was no internet, twitter, etc., so you had to wait until the next morning to find out what happened.

Unfortunately the coffee shop owner has been confirmed as the one casualty thus far. 16 other injuries reported with varied levels of severity. Really feel crushed for the family.

Back