• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Savannah, GA Recs

zqglass

Reaction score
Going down for a week. Any must visit restaurants, bars, lesser known areas? Thanks ahead of time.

All I know is don’t miss the container port.

I love that there is more than one container port tag in the history

Off the beaten path.

Tubby's Tank House in Thunderbolt for their fresh catch at lunch. It was alive that morning and most everyone else has it on their plate. Not bad at night.

North Beach Grill on Tybee Island. Across from the lighthouse next to the fort. Open air on the beach. Swimsuit casual. George has a way with Carribbean. Pan sauteed shrimp is messy and delicious. Good at night as well. Tybee is worth the drive.

Miss Ruth's on Jones street. Ruth passed away but her children took over. Family style southern home cooking. Lunch.

Savannah has a large historic district. All tourists go to River Street, City Market and the downtown attractions. You should too.

There are over twenty historic squares in Savannah and each has a unique personality. The further you get away from downtown the quieter they become. Sit down, relax and let the show come to you. It usually does.

Daufuskie Island if there is boat service/tour from Savannah. Conrack taught there. It was still largely underdeveloped twelve years ago and Gullah was still spoken. What the barrier islands used to be like. No bridge, boat service only. If you go, make sure a mode of transportation (bicycle) or tour is available to you on the island.

Downtown Savannah was vibrant and safe at night when I lived there. Lots of people on the streets enjoying the evening air and attractions.

Last edited:
Don't miss Pinkie Masters bar. Good neighborhood bar with great regulars. You'll probably be the only tourist in there.

o.jpg

I'll be down in 2 weeks. Has anything new opened that's worth a look be it non touristy or touristy?

Back