• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Masters Thread

Koepka birdies and Tiger makes bogey isn't the 0% chance these commentators are insinuating, though.

Definitely a little #nervous

Lol he may have had the occasional drive that went 350-375 with older clubs but the highest average I can find for him over a season is 276 off the tee.

And there's absolutely a deeper pool now than when Jack played. Some players didn't even go across the pond to play the British Open during that period.

There is a deeper talent pool now, but there wasn’t when Tiger was at his peak 1997-2008. Nicklaus played against Palmer, Player, Trevino, Watson, Floyd, irwin, Casper, Nelson, etc. There weren’t names like that on tour during Tiger’s peak years.

I mean Tiger was also so dominant over such a stretch that he precluded otherwise top players from even getting multiple fingers in the cookie jar.

I mean Tiger was also so dominant over such a stretch that he precluded otherwise top players from even getting multiple fingers in the cookie jar.

The fact that it’s even a discussion after a decade of not being an elite golfer is pretty strong evidence of Tiger’s greatness. Also Tiger inspired the field he’s competing with now.

A guy from Nevada placed $85k on Tiger to win this tournament at William Hill. Biggest single golf wager they've ever taken and will net him $1.19 million.

Not really. They both have three career grand slams. And they both essentially had a decade where they lit up the scoreboard in majors. Jack just has more.

The fact that it’s even a discussion after a decade of not being an elite golfer is pretty strong evidence of Tiger’s greatness. Also Tiger inspired the field he’s competing with now.

At Tigers best there has never been a greater golfer. He probably also is the GOAT.

And you think Nicklaus didn't inspire an entire field of golfers? Or Palmer?

Who are the great golfers from the late 1970's through 1980's and early 1990's that match the current crop of guys on the PGA tour dating back to 2005 or so?

Who are the great golfers from the late 1970's through 1980's and early 1990's that match the current crop of guys on the PGA tour dating back to 2005 or so?

Why is that relevant? Nicklaus' decade of dominance was essentially 1963-1975. Are you saying that's who Nicklaus inspired? We're going to measure his greatness on whether the guys he inspired were also great?

I mean what's the increased level of competition after the 60's and 70's that Nicklaus and Palmer influenced that is comparable to the level of competition that is out there today?

ETA: I think increased performance overall by a wider array of players is a great proxy for increased interest and participation inspired by the golfers.

I mean what's the increased level of competition after the 60's and 70's that Nicklaus and Palmer influenced that is comparable to the level of competition that is out there today?

Just seems like a pretty ridiculous comparison to try and make. Maybe I'm just too old, but Jack Nicklaus was an epic star in his prime. I didn't even like the guy. But there was no denying his greatness nor the impact he had on the game - in an era when SportsCenter did not exist nor the interwebs nor the Golf Channel.

Nobody's saying he wasn't an epic star, they're saying that Tiger's dominance and performance is better than Jack's.

Back