• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Masters Thread

There was an insane number of great golfers who all had a chance today. I was never a big Tiger fan, but it's nice to see him get another major. No one else really stepped it up on the back 9. Finau had a bad putting day, and Molinari had his worst ball striking round in at least a year. Not sure what was going on with #12 with 4 balls in those last 2 groups going in the water - swirling winds maybe? And did they really need to make #5 longer and harder? You can't get home from the bunkers on the left now, and the green is still really difficult.

Jack being the best golfer ever is a classic OWG take.

Not really. Jack played fewer tournaments and focused solely on the majors. He has won more of them than anyone else.

And I’m not even a Jack fan....

Nicklaus was an epic star but not nearly on the level of Tiger. He’s been one of the most well known athletes in the world for almost 25 years and he was still very well known as a young amateur.

Nobody's saying he wasn't an epic star, they're saying that Tiger's dominance and performance is better than Jack's.

And they also weren't breathing when Nicklaus played. Someone asked about stars of the 1980's. Payne Stewart, Curtis Strange, Nick Faldo, Seve, Greg Norman, Freddy Couples, Bernhard Langer, Ben Crenshaw (perhaps the greatest putter of all time from distance), Ray Floyd, Sandy Lyle, Tom Watson, etc. Spare me the idea there weren't incredible players in that era.

Nicklaus finished top 3 in majors 47 times. Tiger has 25, I think. That's the kicker for me.

Not really. Jack played fewer tournaments and focused solely on the majors. He has won more of them than anyone else.

And I’m not even a Jack fan....

I doubt that is true. Nicklaus would have likely played way more events than Tiger. When he started playing you had to play to eat.

I still recall when he won the Masters at age 46. Insane.

The level of competition in the 60s and 70s compared to the 2000 and 2010s is not comparable. There are so many more players in the field capable of winning now.

The lack of money then meant that journeymen players were actually journeymen.

How many different players won majors during Jack’s prime compared to Tiger’s?

The level of competition in the 60s and 70s compared to the 2000 and 2010s is not comparable. There are so many more players in the field capable of winning now.

Highly debatable. Particularly the 2000s.

Again, not really. The # of different winners by decade for each major is completely comparable decade to decade for the major tournaments. We simply like to forget all the "random" winners who pop up and play great for a few years. We're talking about the hardest events to win in the world.

Highly debatable. Particularly the 2000s.

In 1980 there were 40 players within 2 strokes of the top scoring average. In 2013 there were 86 players.

I am sure it was much worse in the 1960s and 1970s because the money had significantly improved by the 1980s.

It’s harder to win an individual tournament today for any player than it was in the 60s and 70s.

How many different players won majors during Jack’s prime compared to Tiger’s?

Absolutely comparable. We're talking about the most coveted trophies in golf. There were dozens of guys capable of winning majors then as there are now. People act as if only 4 people played golf in 1964. The only tournament to have 10 different winners in any of these tournaments was the 1960s when Jack Nicklaus was t his best. Winning a major is really hard.

By decade

British Open - 1960s = 9; 1970s = 7; 1980s = 7; 1990s = 9; 2000s = 7; 2010s = 9
Masters - 1960s = 6; 1970s = 8; 1980s = 9; 1990s = 8; 2000s = 7; 2010s = 9
US Open - 1960s = 8; 1970s = 9; 1980s = 9; 1990s = 8; 2000s = 7; 2010s = 8
PGA - 1960s = 10; 1970s = 8; 1980s = 9; 1990s = 9; 2000s = 8; 2010s = 8

Back