• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Masters Thread

Real question we should be asking ourselves is if Tiger is the most iconic sports figure in the history of sport? I think I would put him at two, behind Jordan and slightly ahead of Brady and Ali.

I don't know, Ali was pretty iconic and that in the day of no ESPN, internet and of course social media.

There's a 6th place Masters finish at age 58 that's pretty impressive for the Golden Bear

Real question we should be asking ourselves is if Tiger is the most iconic sports figure in the history of sport? I think I would put him at two, behind Jordan and slightly ahead of Brady and Ali.

Brady is not on the short list

Both had 4 years where they won 2+ majors. Tiger won 4 in a row, Jack 3 in a row. Tiger had one year of 3 majors and Jack never did.

Brady is not on the short list

If Brady wins 2 more and plays another 5 years then he becomes a part of the conversation. It hurts that he was never considered the best at his position while he played, he was always presumed to be behind Manning or Rodgers.

There's a 6th place Masters finish at age 58 that's pretty impressive for the Golden Bear

Tiger mentioned that a couple of times last week, about playing in front of Nicklaus in 98 and how loud the roars were when he was making a charge. Golf is so neat that even though Tiger and Jack are separated by at least 2 eras, their careers still intersected even if for only a short time. Very few other sports can that happen.

Even like Kobe is probably ahead of Brady from a global perspective. He’s like a deity in China. Tiger is probably the most famous athlete ever, fueled substantially by the reach of the Internet.

If Brady wins 2 more and plays another 5 years then he becomes a part of the conversation. It hurts that he was never considered the best at his position while he played, he was always presumed to be behind Manning or Rodgers.

I'm distinguishing between best and iconic using an #eyetest I can't fully articulate

Even like Kobe is probably ahead of Brady from a global perspective. He’s like a deity in China. Tiger is probably the most famous athlete ever, fueled substantially by the reach of the Internet.

If boxing was as big now as it was in Ali's day and Ali was in his prime today with the internet, it would be unreal.

lol no, Tom Brady is not on the short list of worldwide iconic athletes of all time

Pretty much agree with all of this.

As others have pointed out, direct comparisons are impossible across eras. Who knows what Jack could have done with today's equipment, today's hard and fast courses, and the fitness regimens today's golfers are using? He might have been hitting the ball 375 yds on the reg!
Equipment doesn't matter. Fat Jack was playing short goat tracks.

i bet tiger learned to play with persimmon woods. I know I did and i'm 8 years younger.

I enjoyed it as well. I rooted for Tiger all weekend and I never rooted for him during his peak. It’s not that I disliked Tiger, it’s just my propensity to root for the underdog. I never disliked Jack, but I used to root for Miller and Watson to beat him.

This was one of the most fun Masters I can remember. Maybe the only one close was ‘75 when Weiskopf and Miller both had birdie putts on eighteen to beat Jack.

I feel much the same way. Never rooted for Tiger during his prime, not because I disliked him, but more to root for the underdog (unless the underdog was Phil or Poulter). He did used to come across as a bit arrogant and definitely canned, and back then the golf media couldn't say 1 remotely negative word about him. Then after the scandal, they unloaded. Now he seems much more human and real. And he appears to enjoy the company of his competitors, as opposed to having Stevie scare them away. So while I was rooting more for Finau and Schauffele to get their 1st major yesterday, I was cool with Tiger winning. And I agree it was the best Masters ever, edging out when Tiger edged out Duval and Phil. And we got to see Poulter 3 putt and go in the drink on 12 to boot. As for Jack, I never liked him and also rooted for Miller, Watson and Trevino over him. Did root for him in 1986, though, but that was more just rooting for the old guy and against Seve.

i mean, Tiger just earned his Pres. Medal of Freedom at age 43. It took Jack until age 65. /thread

Back