• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Masters Thread

How about the courses? How do the courses compare now to 40 years ago? I'm guessing there has been somewhat similar evolution to equipment.

There's a great article at www.golfdigest.com on architects' ideas to change Augusta National. A good many reflect the need to increase the length of certain holes to adjust for the improvements in equipment. For example, adding 100 yards to 13 to make it a legitimate Par 5 again. Certain holes have already been lengthened and some of the ideas in the article seem a little radical.

I suspect Nike knows their math on who is "worldwide".

yeagh, for the year 2018/19.

we're talking about GOAT worldwide icons and you think the Virat Kohlis and Connor McGreggor are going to stand the test of time like an Ali or Jordan? lol you guys

we're talking about GOAT worldwide icons and you think the Virat Kohlis and Connor McGreggor are going to stand the test of time like an Ali or Jordan? lol you guys

And you think Leo Messi and Ronaldo are not going to stand the test of time like Ali or Jordan globally? For shit's sake this started with someone trying to proclaim Tom Brady was a global icon. To be clear, we're talking about 2 of the 5 greatest players in the history of a sport that commands the world's attention like no other. There are 38 soccer players on that list. And those two are two of the five greatest to ever play the game. Of course they will be iconic. I appreciate that Tiger is a huge icon. But he still is playing golf - which is not remotely accessible to the vast majority of the world's population. The fact he's gained so much fame playing the sport is flat out astounding. But he's still playing golf.

This. Right now doesn't equal all time.

Also I barely know who Messi and Ronaldo are, and I have followed sports pretty closely for the last thirty years. Only a small fraction of sports fans in the US are Soccer fans. Just is what it is.

im not sure tiger will be remembered longer than C Ronaldo but I think his impact on the sport will be far greater than eitehr messi or ronaldo's on soccer

and yeah, again a hearty LOL tom brady

im not sure tiger will be remembered longer than C Ronaldo but I think his impact on the sport will be far greater than eitehr messi or ronaldo's on soccer

and yeah, again a hearty LOL tom brady

Yeah, I can concede Tiger's influence on golf would be more than that of Ronaldo or any other soccer player could have on their sport in history. Soccer is so friggin' massive globally it would be pretty much impossible for one guy to lift the sport into some new level.

Also I barely know who Messi and Ronaldo are, and I have followed sports pretty closely for the last thirty years. Only a small fraction of sports fans in the US are Soccer fans. Just is what it is.

pretty obtuse post

While you are certainly a proxy for the middle aged person living in Austin marketplace, you are nothing more than an anecdote when it comes to being a global measuring stick for who is a sporting icon.

How about the courses? How do the courses compare now to 40 years ago? I'm guessing there has been somewhat similar evolution to equipment.

The 3 main changes are: (1) they're much longer; (2) the greens are smoother and way faster; and (3) most of the time, today's courses the pros play are usually in pristine condition. Agronomy has improved considerably with way more grass varieties than they used to have. Yesterday, the greens were a bit slower than usual because of the excess moisture and humidity, but for the US Open and the Masters, they often get greens running 13-14 on the stimp meter. You watch old footage at Augusta, and you can tell the greens were considerably slower - I'm guessing more like 9-10 on the meter. And 1 of the unfortunate side effects of the equipment changes and balls going so much further is they've made some good older courses obsolete. Fortunately, Augusta has been able to elongate many of their holes so that it now plays at like 7500 yards. 30 years ago, it was more like 6900 yards. But it's not just length, the architecture is just so cool there, and of course it's beautiful with the azaleas in bloom. Take 13 and 15 - 2 shorter par 5s that most players can reach. Those guys can literally make anything from a 3 to a 9 on those 2 holes because there is such a fine line between a great shot and being in the water short or over the green with an extremely difficult pitch back on. The other great old piece of architecture from the 1920s-30s that they play and is still relevant is Riviera, which is 7300 yards now. Riviera and Augusta are the 2 inland courses that I love to watch tournaments at the most.

Umm golf balls curve less now then older balls? I don't think that is true, having high spin velocities is a good thing for dual core performance balls.

The side spin, especially coming off the driver is much less with today's ball and clubs, not even debatable

While you are certainly a proxy for the middle aged person living in Austin marketplace, you are nothing more than an anecdote when it comes to being a global measuring stick for who is a sporting icon.

Middle aged? Ouch. I am arguing whether they are American Icons. I also feel if you are not relevant in the US marketplace then your not a global icon.

MJ, Tiger, Gretzky, Babe and whichever little soccer dwarf you guys want to add in.

Back