• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Masters Thread

Middle aged? Ouch. I am arguing whether they are American Icons. I also feel if you are not relevant in the US marketplace then your not a global icon.

That pretty provincial. Messi and Ronaldo are only marginally relevant here but are probably the biggest modern global athletes on the planet.

The side spin, especially coming off the driver is much less with today's ball and clubs, not even debatable

Think it is definitely debatable. I know for a fact the spin angle/ and spin rates coming off of a driver face are about the same when you are comparing today's multi core balls with the liquid core balls of the early to mid 90s. I could only imagine that the wound balls that jack was using gave even less spin angle and spin rate compared to the liquid cores.

Last edited:
And you're doing a really poor job of arguing too.
Think you are just getting overly emotional trying to defend soccer.

Soccer is growing in popularity but still irrelevant here, globally the US is one of the most cultural relevant countries, thus Messi and horse Ronaldo aren't globally relevant even if they are the most popular athletes in the world. Basic math.

Think you are just getting overly emotional trying to defend soccer.

Soccer is growing in popularity but still irrelevant here, globally the US is one of the most cultural relevant countries, thus Messi and horse Ronaldo aren't globally relevant even if they are the most popular athletes in the world. Basic math.

Not at all. It's math. Every stat. says you are being thick on this and insanely provincial.

1 - They are two of the five greatest players to play the sport.

2 - The sport dwarfs all other sports in terms of global recognition. 38 of the top 100 most famous athletes on earth today are soccer players. One baseball player made that list. Only 14-15 basketball players made that list. No hockey players made that list (and I love hockey). Maybe 6 NFL players made the list and the highest rated on was not in the Top 30.

3 - Ronaldo has the largest endorsement deal in sports history from Nike.

4 - Ronaldo's social media accounts dwarf Tiger's in terms of followers. And destroys someone like Tom Brady's. Messi and Neymar are 40 million behind Ronaldo in terms of followers and they still dwarf someone like Tiger's.

5 - Messi was the 7th most recognized athlete in America 5 years ago.

Not at all. It's math. Every stat. says you are being thick on this and insanely provincial.

1 - They are two of the five greatest players to play the sport.

2 - The sport dwarfs all other sports in terms of global recognition. 38 of the top 100 most famous athletes on earth today are soccer players. One baseball player made that list. Only 14-15 basketball players made that list. No hockey players made that list (and I love hockey). Maybe 6 NFL players made the list and the highest rated on was not in the Top 30.

3 - Ronaldo has the largest endorsement deal in sports history from Nike.

4 - Ronaldo's social media accounts dwarf Tiger's in terms of followers. And destroys someone like Tom Brady's. Messi and Neymar are 40 million behind Ronaldo in terms of followers and they still dwarf someone like Tiger's.

5 - Messi was the 7th most recognized athlete in America 5 years ago.

you can't be a global icon if you're only 5'7

Trump awarding Tiger with Medal of Freedom. LMAO😂😂😂

Here's my hot take. Iconic figures transcend their place, time, and even individual sport. Babe Ruth definitely makes the list. You could argue Mike Trout is a better all around baseball talent but he will never be the Babe, and only baseball fans have even heard of Trout. Babe Ruth is baseball and for generations a common household name. Michael Jordan is that way. I wasn't alive during Nicklaus's prime, but I was alive when he was still playing and had heard of him. But my wife and kids all easily know about Tiger and they aren't golf fans. It's hard to compare talent within a sport over time, and impossible across different sports, but you can pick out those who take over the interest of a generation. Tiger's influence stretched far beyond golf fans to the entire culture. He would make my list along with Babe, Ali, and Jordan. Arguments could be made that there are more deserving GOATs in each of those sports but those are the iconic figures I can think of. Most iconic of all time? I'm old so Jordan but my kids might would say Tiger. And Babe maybe should get the nod as he did all this pre TV. Who knows what he could have done with the internets...

For whatever reason football is harder for me to narrow down to an iconic figure.

What human beings are unaware of the existence of LeBron. I guess there are some. But he and Tiger were well positioned to take advantage of the ability to grow globally by exponential factors.

Think it is definitely debatable. I know for a fact the spin angle/ and spin rates coming off of a driver face are about the same when you are comparing today's multi core balls with the liquid core balls of the early to mid 90s. I could only imagine that the wound balls that jack was using gave even less spin angle and spin rate compared to the liquid cores.

Whatever, that goes against everything I’ve read and heard.

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

I didn't, it's just a fact of the current state of professional golf. In the 60's and 70's you had like 5% of the people trying to play professionally as you do now, and there was no Web.com tour. Even getting creative and adjusting scoring averages or focusing on results - it's not really a debate. I feel like these arguments are just lumping in the 80's and 90's with the 60's and 70's. You had majors with under par winning scores where +30 and worse were in the money in the 60's. It's unthinkable today.

The equipment thing is getting time-compressed as well. The pro v1 release represents the start of the golf ball modernization era - that was in 2000. Tiger played steel shafts, heads, and mizzy mp14's coming up. He played the Titleist pro 90 balatas when he started on tour and didn't switch to graphite for like 7 or 8 more years after switching to Nike. He played x100's just like Jack. First Masters featured a Cobra steel driver - which if you hit against a MacGregor at the time you might have stuck with the MacGregor - plenty of pros did. It was the 975D and the use of titanium that really finished off persimmon. Anyway, Tiger was not a beneficiary of the equipment age. The gap between essentially him and Daly vs. everyone else was eventually eaten up by equipment, and he never drove it better than he did with the steel-shafted sledgehammers.

There are plenty of arguments you can make for Jack, but Tiger's cut streak - almost half again better than Jack's longest - stands out to me as much as the top 5 finishes for Jack. Don't confuse "depth" with "strength" when ranking fields. That streak against inarguably stronger fields is just insane.

Back