• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Masters Thread

That was fun to watch. Golf is so much better with Tiger contending and/or winning. And it's pretty dull without him. It's weird. I don't even like the guy, and it's just so strange how he changes everything.

True. Mainly because of one of the most incredible statistics in the history of sports: Jack’s number of second place finishes in majors. We saw how hard that is today, when nobody seemed able to press Tiger late, including Koepka who got the yips on those putts he has not been missing for like 20 months.

Jack: 18
Second place: 19

Tiger: 15
Second place: 6

I do think this comeback was absolutely amazing and I shed a tear when he hugged his mom. Trying to read her lips, I thought I saw her say “so proud...” it was real.

Incredible performance and Tiger will get another 2-5 majors presuming his back holds up.

I’m surprised this board is not concentrating on Tiger’s meh girlfriend. Those young guns have smokeshows for Wags.

LOL. He had a smoking hot girlfriend then wife and he cheated on her and his life and game fell apart. Whatever works for him.

I enjoyed watching Tiger win again. Great performance.

The only real measure for GOAT is the measure Tiger set for himself. His goal was/is to win more majors than Jack Nicklaus. He is not there yet.

I enjoyed it as well. I rooted for Tiger all weekend and I never rooted for him during his peak. It’s not that I disliked Tiger, it’s just my propensity to root for the underdog. I never disliked Jack, but I used to root for Miller and Watson to beat him.

This was one of the most fun Masters I can remember. Maybe the only one close was ‘75 when Weiskopf and Miller both had birdie putts on eighteen to beat Jack.

That was fun to watch. Golf is so much better with Tiger contending and/or winning. And it's pretty dull without him. It's weird. I don't even like the guy, and it's just so strange how he changes everything.

Golf is better with Tiger, but it’s not dull without him. If you think it’s dull without him, you don’t really like pro golf. There are lots of great guys to follow/hate.

I enjoyed it as well. I rooted for Tiger all weekend and I never rooted for him during his peak. It’s not that I disliked Tiger, it’s just my propensity to root for the underdog. I never disliked Jack, but I used to root for Miller and Watson to beat him.

This was one of the most fun Masters I can remember. Maybe the only one close was ‘75 when Weiskopf and Miller both had birdie putts on eighteen to beat Jack.

At what point is Tiger not an underdog anymore? Is it now because he won The Masters and will soak up all golf coverage until Bethpage? Or never because he’s an old competing against a field of talented young players?

It’s fascinating to see a board of mostly Tiger haters in his prime rooting for him so hard today.

Perhaps the idea is that some people want to root for a first time winner. I was fine with Tiger winning. It's a great story. But I also would have been fine with a first time winner, and there were plenty in contention. First time major winner is even better in my book and there were plenty of them in contention too. I was sort of pulling for Finau. Of all the majors the Masters is the one that sets up best for Tiger. You can spray the ball and often still recover in ways that are not remotely possible very often at the US Open or the Open. As for when is he an "underdog" - at 43 he's an underdog.

At what point is Tiger not an underdog anymore? Is it now because he won The Masters and will soak up all golf coverage until Bethpage? Or never because he’s an old competing against a field of talented young players?

It’s fascinating to see a board of mostly Tiger haters in his prime rooting for him so hard today.

Good question. I rooted for him today because he was the underdog. Maybe it’s in part because he is an old now (sort of).
I absolutely loved that so many players stayed and congratulated him before he went into scoring. That was moving.

And I was never a Tiger hater. I was a Tiger admirer. Just not a fan.

He's not really supposed to, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is still a little tension floating around him and Reed due to the Ryder Cup fallout.

Big fan of Xander Schauffele. Would love to see him win a major soon. There are parallels with Tiger (overzealous dad, Asian mom, soCal native) and the guy seems pretty damn cool. I'm a casual golf fan, but it seems like this is best group of really, really good young players that we've seen in a long time. Spieth, Thomas, Koepka, Schauffele, Fowler...

Golf is better with Tiger, but it’s not dull without him. If you think it’s dull without him, you don’t really like pro golf. There are lots of great guys to follow/hate.

Agreed, with this amazing young crop of golfers plus tiger being back could make the next 5 years or so the greatest stretch in PGA history.

He's not really supposed to, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is still a little tension floating around him and Reed due to the Ryder Cup fallout.

I would, at a minimum, expect him to say congratulations and shake his hand. Not put the coat on him and slink out of the picture without saying a word or making eye contact.

I love Molinari’s totally unashamed Italian unibrow. As I recall his brothers was even thicker. Majestic

Golf is a completely different game than it was 40 years ago. The new guys are much better athletes, but it is impossible to tell if they are better golfers. Statistics mean nothing in a world where there has been so much evolution in equipment. The ball travels so much farther and with so much consistency now. Spin is so much easier to control.

Golf courses maintenance has also changed dramatically and information available on the course that we take for granted was not available when Nicklaus and Palmer were knocking it around. Yardage books are precise and players have maps that explain the greens to them.

The result is that equipment manufacturers have made it easier for above average players to compete against the best players. Players can bomb it so far that mistakes are overcome by hitting wedges into greens instead of five irons.

Even the greens at Augusta are completely different. They were Bermuda greens until around 1980. Back then you had to hit putts harder and it was a little more difficult to hit the perfect putt. With new truer greens, it is a lot easier to make birdies, but the speed puts a lot more stress on distance control.

Nicklaus and Tiger are similar in their approaches to the sport and both are/were so much better than their competition because of both talent and their mental preparation.

Last edited:
It was easier for Nicklaus. He was smoking cigs and getting fat for a third of his career. Fat Jack could still win because the competition was lame.

I doubt that is true. Nicklaus would have likely played way more events than Tiger. When he started playing you had to play to eat.

I still recall when he won the Masters at age 46. Insane.

Then perhaps you should look up the facts you doubt.

Who will be the Honorary Starters after Player and Nicklaus? I can see Player doing it for 10 more years, but Jack??

Did Watson win enough?
Faldo is probably going to be there.
Langer won twice and keeps making the cut.
Phil will do it someday, but he’s way too young.
Tiger - He’ll do it alongside Phil.

Tiger will be favored at majors the rest of the year id imagine. Especially at bethpage and pebble.

Back