• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Hoops 2019-2020

Rex Walters already had a giant swig of the cool aid, predicting that Wake has a chance to be good. Too many missing parts, IMHO.

Over/under for wins this year? 12.5? All but two games are now known: 20 ACC games, Penn State, Columbia, Charlotte (in Charlotte), Davidson (at Spectrum), three games in the early season tournament, and Xavier. Last two will probably be teams from the region that are 250+ in RPI/KP (or at least should be). We know we open against BC. Early season tournament is November 28, 29 and 1 and includes Arizona, UCF, Penn, Long Beach State, Charleston, Providence, and Pepperdine.

Schedule rumors: Columbia (11/10/19), Charlotte (11/17/19), Penn State (12/4/19), and Xavier (12/14/19).

Over/under for wins this year? 12.5? All but two games are now known: 20 ACC games, Penn State, Columbia, Charlotte (in Charlotte), Davidson (at Spectrum), three games in the early season tournament, and Xavier. Last two will probably be teams from the region that are 250+ in RPI/KP (or at least should be). We know we open against BC. Early season tournament is November 28, 29 and 1 and includes Arizona, UCF, Penn, Long Beach State, Charleston, Providence, and Pepperdine.

Schedule rumors: Columbia (11/10/19), Charlotte (11/17/19), Penn State (12/4/19), and Xavier (12/14/19).

No Richmond? Haven't we played them pretty much every year for like a decade+.

Definitely take the under on that. I'd put the over/under at 9.5. The schedule is tougher and we have less talent. I think Chaundee will be solid, but he'll be playing out of position and carrying a bigger load than he should. The rest of the team will be a disaster.

There's a non-zero chance football wins more than basketball this year.

No confirmation on Richmond. They haven't been great so that wouldn't be a ridiculous addition. That said, the schedule is loaded right now as is. Has to be one of the hardest schedules we've played in the last 10-15 years.

Too early for me to do a well-thought-out analysis of the 2019-20 schedule that leads to what will inevitably be a horribly incorrect prediction on the final record... But I think an O/U of 12.5 seems about right. I'd perhaps put it down as low as 11.5, given the relatively difficult schedule.

We won 11 games last year and lost our best player.

Definitely take the under on that. I'd put the over/under at 9.5. The schedule is tougher and we have less talent. I think Chaundee will be solid, but he'll be playing out of position and carrying a bigger load than he should. The rest of the team will be a disaster.

not sure about that

5th-year senior Andrien White should be more useful (maybe not more raw talent...but more useful wrt competing in the ACC) than freshman Hoard

Brown/Childress/Sarr should all be better than last year, and hopefully at least two of three not unreasonable things happen:

1. Mucius becomes an ACC-level contributor
2. Ditto Wright
3. Massoud is able to contribute

now the coaching talent isn't there, of course, and our frontcourt is painfully thin, but both of those were essentially true last year

Its sad when the ceiling for wins in football and basketball are about the same in a given year. Happy for football, but Wake Basketball is officially dead right now.

not sure about that

5th-year senior Andrien White should be more useful (maybe not more raw talent...but more useful wrt competing in the ACC) than freshman Hoard

Brown/Childress/Sarr should all be better than last year, and hopefully at least two of three not unreasonable things happen:

2. Ditto Wright

now the coaching talent isn't there, of course, and our frontcourt is painfully thin, but both of those were essentially true last year

I think there's enough evidence by now to show we shouldn't just assume players will get better and we definitely can't assume a transfer will be better than an NBA prospect. The last thing we should assume is that Manning will get more than the sum of their parts out of this team. We will be replacing two non-con games with conference games and the non-con gets tougher anyway. Making it to 10 wins will be tough.

I think there's enough evidence by now to show we shouldn't just assume players will get better and we definitely can't assume a transfer will be better than an NBA prospect. The last thing we should assume is that Manning will get more than the sum of their parts out of this team. We will be replacing two non-con games with conference games and the non-con gets tougher anyway. Making it to 10 wins will be tough.

all 3 of the listed players has improved each year at WF, and White was a better player in 2017-18 than Hoard (an NBA prospect at the beginning of the season whose prospects got worse as he played) was last year

and yeah, I addressed the coaching deficiency

not sure about that

2. Ditto Wright

Nope

all 3 of the listed players has improved each year at WF, and White was a better player in 2017-18 than Hoard (an NBA prospect at the beginning of the season whose prospects got worse as he played) was last year

and yeah, I addressed the coaching deficiency

Which three players? Childress maybe has gone from bad to not as bad. Sarr probably the same.

I can understand the White/Hoard argument... But the lack of Hoard leaves a gaping hole at the 4-spot that cannot be filled by White at SG. That's a huge problem.

We're not going to be good this year, but I still hold out hope that we'll be better than these dismal expectations. The roster has more continuity than it has had in a few years, and for whatever reason the players seem to enjoy playing for Manning.

So many question marks, though... Off the top of my head:

Will Sarr be healthy/consistent enough to give us 25+mpg?
Can Childress play more of a traditional PG role, while still making open 3s?
Can Neath give us a legit PG to backup Childress for ~10mpg?
Will any of the bigs (Ody, Tariq, Sunday) be good enough to contribute 10+ mpg?
Will White be a good enough shooter to improve what was a weakness last season?
Has Mucius improved his strength and his outside shooting?
What kind of impact can we expect from Massoud?
Can Chaundee make a leap to an All-ACC level?
Can Rex Walters make any kind of difference w/ Xs & Os (or defense)?

It's going to be a REALLY weird season. I don't hate the team... I really enjoy the individual players, in fact. But the assumption from everyone is that Manning is a dead man walking. Not sure how the team can have any success in that environment. And it'll be weird around here with what I expect to be a majority of posters actively rooting against the Deacs. Just really hard to get excited.

Back