• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Hoops 2019-2020

Makes me sick to my stomach watching those practice videos knowing full well we could have landed Oates. Danny's practice looks like a fucking middle School practice

I actually coach middle school. Our practices are better.

If we got good again at basketball, would you guys still love it the same way everybody did in the 90s and 00s? I just don't think it will every be the same again.

If we got good again at basketball, would you guys still love it the same way everybody did in the 90s and 00s? I just don't think it will every be the same again.

Negative. That ship has sailed. The place that Wake sports once occupied has been filled with other interests/hobbies/etc over the last 9 years. I have a 10, 8, 6 and 4 year old that have never attended a Wake basketball game.

I agree to a point. Family stuff comes first and it's easier to keep up with games instead of parking my ass on the couch for two hours on Sat/Sun and Tues/Wed. And I'll never watch ACC basketball as religiously as I did in the 80s and 90s growing up into early adulthood. But people are kidding themselves if they don't think they'd intensely follow a legitimately good Wake basketball team.

There are also way more uninteresting teams in the ACC than back in the day.

Between 1997-8 and 2010-11, that's 14 seasons, UVA basketball went to two NCAA tourneys (and did nothing in either appearance). They were a collective 50 games under .500 in the ACC; produced essentially no NBA talent during that span. UVA basketball could not have been more irrelevant. Hiring a great coach has turned that all around, and UVA hoop is all that UVA fans and alumni want to talk about. Basketball tickets are scarce; going to UVA hoop games is the thing to do.

WF wouldn't need to win two ACC titles, run through six straight NCAA appearances and grab their first Natty, but if WF was simply a relevant NCAA basketball team, the fanbase would get stoked. Wouldn't take that much.

Between 1997-8 and 2010-11, that's 14 seasons, UVA basketball went to two NCAA tourneys (and did nothing in either appearance). They were a collective 50 games under .500 in the ACC; produced essentially no NBA talent during that span. UVA basketball could not have been more irrelevant. Hiring a great coach has turned that all around, and UVA hoop is all that UVA fans and alumni want to talk about. Basketball tickets are scarce; going to UVA hoop games is the thing to do.

WF wouldn't need to win two ACC titles, run through six straight NCAA appearances and grab their first Natty, but if WF was simply a relevant NCAA basketball team, the fanbase would get stoked. Wouldn't take that much.

A perennial bubble type team may bring back the long-time fans and some/most alumni, but I don't think it does anything for the "lost generation" and maybe even the next generation of fans. The lost generation of fans have probably already tied themselves to other teams, so they are probably gone. I don't think Wake has to be one of the top 5 teams in the country every single year, but I think we have to meaningful and competitive games against Duke and UNC with at least one win every year or two to get the attention of locals and/or younger fans.

Wellman killed that then spent years backing over the corpse until it became unrecognizable.

Wake will likely one day rise from these putrid levels and once again draw a mediocre crowd but I doubt there will ever be any real sustained passion in the building again.

It would take one hell of a great coach that also had amazing charisma to rebuild the fan base.

I don't see Wake going after a guy like that.

Negative. That ship has sailed. The place that Wake sports once occupied has been filled with other interests/hobbies/etc over the last 9 years. I have a 10, 8, 6 and 4 year old that have never attended a Wake basketball game.

And this is where the lost decade of WFU Hoops kills the school.

I agree to a point. Family stuff comes first and it's easier to keep up with games instead of parking my ass on the couch for two hours on Sat/Sun and Tues/Wed. And I'll never watch ACC basketball as religiously as I did in the 80s and 90s growing up into early adulthood. But people are kidding themselves if they don't think they'd intensely follow a legitimately good Wake basketball team.

Wake sports WOULD be family stuff if not for the last 9 years. I'd have season tickets and I'd be taking my kids to games all the time. The [Redacted] error happened just as I was starting to have kids...I soured on Wake in general. Not going to basketball games was a given, but it made it easy to give up the tailgate and all of the time I once spent on Wake football as well. I blamed kids at the time, but Wellman made the decision a lot easier.

I'd be stoked. But not in the travelling to away games, season tickets to home games, travelling to Winston on weeknights way like I once was. Some of that is family, sure, but a lot of that is that I've just found other things to do.

I'd be stoked. But not in the travelling to away games, season tickets to home games, travelling to Winston on weeknights way like I once was. Some of that is family, sure, but a lot of that is that I've just found other things to do.

To me, a lot of it lies in the complete lack of concern from those running the show. It is easy to support the local restaurant where you know the owner is trying to put out a quality product and cares about your experience. It is unnatural to invest emotionally in something where those in charge do not. Fandom is quite irrational, anyway. It is an emotional thing that ties to good times.

You just can't keep going back to that well when you know those putting on the show are actively indifferent.

No matter what others say, losing Maryland as a regular opponent also hurt. Every year, it was circle the date when Wake BB went to College Park.
Every other year, it was circle the date for Wake at MD for football. I have MD connected friends, and they were perfectly happy to sit in the Wake section and behave themselves.

Pitt, Syracuse, BC etc. just don't fit the same spot.

The random Wake at Navy game just doesn't have the same appeal.

Deaconblue May be the only person in the conference that misses Maryland. Cuse has seamlessly filled that gap for me.

No matter what others say, losing Maryland as a regular opponent also hurt. Every year, it was circle the date when Wake BB went to College Park.
Every other year, it was circle the date for Wake at MD for football. I have MD connected friends, and they were perfectly happy to sit in the Wake section and behave themselves.

Pitt, Syracuse, BC etc. just don't fit the same spot.

The random Wake at Navy game just doesn't have the same appeal.

jaguars-fan-confused-wtf.gif

I only sorta miss md. Cuse is fine.

In terms of would I go back to what I had in terms of passion. I doubt it. I used to make almost all the home games when I was in NC. Actually even when I was in Va too.

When I was in Ga and Fl the first time around, I would plan home time around away games and TV. I would plan trips back toNC around home games. No way I do that now. Some of that may be I’m older and more rational with money. It once the cycle broke other things took the place. Will I watch if we get good again yes.

But will I go all in? Nope

Back