• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Hoops 2019-2020

This, the 7* players we are returning absolutely are trash and manning hasn't shown any signs of being able to develop talent. Our OOC schedule is harder this year than last. I fully expect a 7-8 win season this year.

*Number almost definitely will be lower by the start of next season due to transfers, early exists, suspensions, and arrests.

Harder OOC and 20 game ACC schedule.

Clearly you didn't watch any Wake games last year. We might have one piece (was two before Hoard bolted), but the rest are not ACC type players. Can Chaundee step up and be a consistent ACC player on both ends? Possibly. Sharone has some upside as well, but long ways away from being considered an All ACC player type player. Sarr has shown little and struggles against smallers on Houston Baptist and other rpi 300 type schools, so I think we are more like 3-4 pieces away.

As someone else noted the only good news is the nail in DM's coffins are being hammered in with authority.

I was there. Watched pretty much every game.

Brown/Sarr/Childress will all 3 be formidable ACC players as 2 juniors and senior. Mucius and Wright will hopefully make a jump. Massoud could be a smooth Freshman. Not sure what to expect from White, but I assume he will be similar to a Keyshawn Woods type guy.

But yeah, Brown and Sarr were coming along towards the end of the season and are ACC level players. Unfortunately for all involved, we don't have an ACC level coach.

Brown was a good ACC player throughout the year. Sarr should improve. Massoud looks like a player. We seriously need rebounding and a PG.

It will very likely be a long season.

I was there. Watched pretty much every game.

Brown/Sarr/Childress will all 3 be formidable ACC players as 2 juniors and senior. Mucius and Wright will hopefully make a jump. Massoud could be a smooth Freshman. Not sure what to expect from White, but I assume he will be similar to a Keyshawn Woods type guy.

But yeah, Brown and Sarr were coming along towards the end of the season and are ACC level players. Unfortunately for all involved, we don't have an ACC level coach.

The ole Creamy overconfidence that precedes every season.

Our returning point guard is extremely inefficient. He certainly isn't a formidable ACC level player. Shoots under 40% from the field (and even worse from 3) and has A:TO ratio of 1.5/1.

The ole Creamy overconfidence that precedes every season.

Someone has to do it.

In all seriousness, I realize we are going to suck big time next season and every season that DM is our coach. My argument is that we have a few ACC level players. I don't think Hoard was our only ACC level player. Brown and Sarr will make money playing after Wake. Childress as a senior is an ACC level guard also.

WF will be better next year as WF will likely return 7 of its top 9 from last year, and add a senior transfer (White) and solid frosh in Massoud. Also, most of the conference loses more than WF does.

None of that will mean that WF will come close to an NCAA tourney bid or enough to save Manning from the end of his time at WF, but WF will be better than 11-20 (4-14). WF won't lose to the HBU/GW types, and will go something like 7-13 in the ACC. Overall record - 15-15... better, but still bad. The table has been set for a coaching change after next season.

You best hope not. Manning will not be let go with that kind of improvement. That is worse case scenario and may get an extension.

You really need under 10 wins. The standards have dropped for Wake Basketball these days.

Coming off the bench behind a starter, sure.

This trope is tired and dumb. There’s no question Chill is an ACC level guard. Arguing otherwise makes you look silly when trying to make other actual arguments against Danny and the team at large.

The decision after next season should be easy absent the unthinkable: an NCAA Tourney bid.

Understand the concern that even mediocre to poor season, (7-8 ACC wins out of 20; a sad spot on the NIT bubble), could lead to another season without a change; so, it's easier to assume that WF will be 7-24 (2-18) bad because that really makes the decision a lot cleaner. Don't think that's the WF way. WF will not be "historically competitive", but will marginally improve as WF will actually have a handful of experienced players that belong in the ACC, and will be one of the more experienced conference teams. To me, even that type of "slight improvement" will lead to a coaching change, but get why some here would rather have to the team be "god-awful", rather than "meh", to ensure that WF starts over.

The decision after next season should be easy absent the unthinkable: an NCAA Tourney bid.

Understand the concern that even mediocre to poor season, (7-8 ACC wins out of 20; a sad spot on the NIT bubble), could lead to another season without a change; so, it's easier to assume that WF will be 7-24 (2-18) bad because that really makes the decision a lot cleaner. Don't think that's the WF way. WF will not be "historically competitive", but will marginally improve as WF will actually have a handful of experienced players that belong in the ACC, and will be one of the more experienced conference teams. To me, even that type of "slight improvement" will lead to a coaching change, but get why some here would rather have to the team be "god-awful", rather than "meh", to ensure that WF starts over.

Add in the fact that the 2020 class will likely be trash and it should be a no brainer to fire the guy.

Of course, it should have been a no brainer a month ago, too.

This trope is tired and dumb. There’s no question Chill is an ACC level guard. Arguing otherwise makes you look silly when trying to make other actual arguments against Danny and the team at large.

He's not if winning is the goal. He's woefully inefficient and gets torched on D frequently.

Yeah, ok.

Minus Chill the rest of the team averaged 6.6 assists per game. That is hard to watch.

Wish Wake had only won 4-5 games last year instead of 11. Hard to be sure just how bad of a number is necessary but I am pretty sure "pretty bad" will not be bad enough.

I am hoping for 0.

Minus Chill the rest of the team averaged 6.6 assists per game. That is hard to watch.

Chill averaged 4.0 assists in 36.4 minutes, 1 every 9 minutes. A major part of his job is getting other people the ball in a position to score. That is hard to watch.

Back