• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Hoops 2019-2020

Chill does his best given the other players can’t do their jobs.

Chill does his best given the other players can’t do their jobs.

So instead of a point guard who makes everyone around him better we have a point guard for whom we make excuses.

11th in the ACC in assist rate and 20th in steal rate. Not bad for a guy playing 36 minutes a game in conference play and surrounded by a bunch of non shooters.

4 assists per game for a guy who has the ball in his hands for nearly every possession ?

The other players are worst at their jobs than Chill is at his.

Chill should have averaged 10 assists per game just passing to Smart and Johnson !

Wake’s talent isn’t actually talented enough to be competitive in the ACC and as such don’t qualify as being formidable or ACC caliber.

I love Chill’s effort and moxie, and I don’t think he intentionally avoids the logical pass, he just has Terrible court vision- he doesn’t see the pass.

WF will be better next year as WF will likely return 7 of its top 9 from last year, and add a senior transfer (White) and solid frosh in Massoud. Also, most of the conference loses more than WF does.

None of that will mean that WF will come close to an NCAA tourney bid or enough to save Manning from the end of his time at WF, but WF will be better than 11-20 (4-14). WF won't lose to the HBU/GW types, and will go something like 7-13 in the ACC. Overall record - 15-15... better, but still bad. The table has been set for a coaching change after next season.

Pilch, I think your analysis is possibly the best on this entire board. But how can you be confident we won’t lose again to at least one of the Houston Baptists on our schedule? Granted, it seems unthinkable, but for two years in a row we’ve lost unthinkable games, and it isn’t like Manning is showing a growth pattern.

We can discuss the strength and weakness of the players and schedule. It doesn't matter. Danny Manning remains the head coach despite the fact that his teams have lost 20 games three of the past four years. He has now been given the opportunity to lose 20 games in three consecutive seasons. 74% of the respondents to the "how many wins for Wake MBB" poll believe he will succeed in that opportunity. Think about that and realize that losing and bad are givens regarding Wake Hoops 2019-2020. End of discussion.

WF will be better next year as WF will likely return 7 of its top 9 from last year, and add a senior transfer (White) and solid frosh in Massoud. Also, most of the conference loses more than WF does.

None of that will mean that WF will come close to an NCAA tourney bid or enough to save Manning from the end of his time at WF, but WF will be better than 11-20 (4-14). WF won't lose to the HBU/GW types, and will go something like 7-13 in the ACC. Overall record - 15-15... better, but still bad. The table has been set for a coaching change after next season.

8-2 against the pre-conference slate? IDK about that. We will be in the Big Ten challenge, have Xavier and Davidson on the schedule, and are in a OOC tournament that looked like a reasonable tough slate. That feels like at least four losses. We also have Richmond, who we have a losing record against under the [name redacted] / Manning regime (4-5).

Add in the fact that the 2020 class will likely be trash and it should be a no brainer to fire the guy.

Of course, it should have been a no brainer a month ago, too.
With any real luck, he doesn't even get a chance to *sign* any kind of 2020 class, trash or otherwise.
I get that Mannikin will likely find some presumably living human being or two by the time of the early signing period comes around and gets a signature on paper. I'm just still hoping we open up the season as we always do and the hot garbage start is enough for Currie to do the unthinkable but long past necessary.
But, who knows?

I am looking forward to massoud at wake. He is a high motor kid and since manning can't teach motor or intensity, he should be okay. He might he the best player on the roster. Next year.

I eagerly await this year's hashtag.

#newbeginnings is so 2018-19.

Anyone have any guesses?

I am looking forward to massoud at wake. He is a high motor kid and since manning can't teach motor or intensity, he should be okay. He might he the best player on the roster. Next year.

Part of me says, "Geez... Pump the brakes. Kid hasn't even started practicing at Wake."

Part of me says, "At least jaybone has an opinion... That's planting a flag."

I think Chaundee will be the best player on the team. Of course, I said the same thing (a lot) prior to last season. He was good, but not quite at the level I expected.

If Massoud comes in and is the best player from day one at roughly 140lbs, we're in bigger trouble than I thought. And I think we're in a lot of trouble. I'll just be happy if a couple of the freshman make the rotation... Massoud should get minutes, but I'm hoping Neath can run the point for ~10mpg and at least one of the bigs can rebound and foul for a few minutes a game.

Had 8 guys play over 15mpg last year... 7 over 20mpg. Seems like the rotation has to be largely: Childress, Brown, Wright, Sarr, White, Mucius... That's 6. Johnson/Massoud/Neath up for the last 1-2 spots.

Have you ever played pickup with those scrawny kids who then start to post you up and they have weird super strength in their stringly little legs?

Well, I have no idea is Massoud is one of those kids, but he looks like one so I am going to hope. He's also super intense and competitive and we fucking need that. He and Chill will be our only intense guys. If he can bring a little NYC and Bronx attitude, even better. We play so fucking soft, we need a kid who will take ownership of that. Can't be the coach, so hoping it is Massoud. Kid has had to work through a lot to get where he is. NYC doesn't just welcome Egyptian kids to their pickup games; you have to earn it.

Kid has had to work through a lot to get where he is. NYC doesn't just welcome Egyptian kids to their pickup games; you have to earn it.

There's so much assumption here. Reads like an RJ post about a Philly kid.

Massoud spent 1 year at Catholic School in NYC and 3 at boarding school in a rural Massachusettes town of 6K people. He could be a Carlton from the Country Club just as much as he could be Jenny from the Block. There's zero out there I can find in a quick google about how he grew up. Are there mix tapes of him hooping it up in the Bronx or a story about how his family came to the States with nothing that I'm missing?

Last edited:
Massoud is thin but is listed at 200. Fifth year senior, Cam Johnson is listed at 210. A lot of the guys in 18 and 19 are 6'8/6'9, 200 or less. They are HS kids and will get bigger.

One thing Massoud has over many of them is his natural position is SG. He doesn't need to be 230. I can see him starting the season at 210 or more.

Back