• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jackson Hole, Tetons, Yellowstone

Brangus

Reaction score
Going end of May beginning of June. Taking wife and kids. Will probably have two nights to go out to dinner. Any can't miss places?

Last edited:
Gotta go to the Gun Barrell. Great steak, but their calling card is the wild game. Elk and buffalo steaks/chops are incredible. Snake River Brewing has good beer and bar food. The famous Cowboy Bar is a bucket list place and The Mangy Moose in Teton Village is really cool. Take the kids up the tram (4000+ vertical feet) for an awesome view and grab some waffles at Corbets Cabin at the top.

I thought Mangy Moose was pretty meh when we went there and definitely wouldn't make a point to go back, Tram+Corbets was awesome though, that tram is nuts and those waffles hit the spot after a night of drinking. Snake River Brewing also a good spot for sure. Was with a big group for dinners so never did anything too upscale, but I liked Hatch Tequila and Taqueria for good margs/tacos/southwestern cuisine.

Made a reservation at Gun Barrel. Also will take note of the other activities listed thanks.

Gun Barrel was just OK for me. I ate cow not any wild game though. Pinky Gs is pretty good pizza place in the village.

Just be aware it can snow in the pass that time of year. Had a great snowball fight near the top of the pass on July 4 some years back.

Resurrecting this thread post trip. Some random thoughts.

Had great meals at Snake River Grill and Gun Barrel in Jackson. The Million Dollar Bar and the Cowboy Bar were fun. The Tetons are amazing, and GTNP has more wildlife (at least visible) per square mile than any place I've ever been. Yellowstone is awesome but the hundreds of large buses filled with foreign tourists are not awesome. Enjoyed Yellowstone, you have to go as it is one of the most unique places on Earth, but much preferred Grand Teton for hiking, seeing wildlife and staying away from crowds. The Granite Hot Springs resulted in a beautiful drive scenery wise but was a waste of time because snowmelt is keeping the water temp down...skip that for a while. Took a sidetrip to Pinedale Wyoming which is a far more authentic western town than Jackson, surrounded by big ranches covered in cattle and pronghorn, although natural gas has become king in that part of Wyoming.

Post or PM me if you are going this summer and I'd be happy to share opinions on what to do and see.

Tentatively planning a trip to this area for summer 2020. A friend mentioned buying an annual national park pass to avoid paying at each stop - thoughts?

Had great meals at Snake River Grill and Gun Barrel in Jackson. The Million Dollar Bar and the Cowboy Bar were fun. The Tetons are amazing, and GTNP has more wildlife (at least visible) per square mile than any place I've ever been. Yellowstone is awesome but the hundreds of large buses filled with foreign tourists are not awesome. Enjoyed Yellowstone, you have to go as it is one of the most unique places on Earth, but much preferred Grand Teton for hiking, seeing wildlife and staying away from crowds. The Granite Hot Springs resulted in a beautiful drive scenery wise but was a waste of time because snowmelt is keeping the water temp down...skip that for a while. Took a sidetrip to Pinedale Wyoming which is a far more authentic western town than Jackson, surrounded by big ranches covered in cattle and pronghorn, although natural gas has become king in that part of Wyoming.

Post or PM me if you are going this summer and I'd be happy to share opinions on what to do and see.

Good to hear! What did you get at the Gun Barrel? Did you end up doing the Tram and getting the kids a waffle at the top? I imagine there's still a ton of snow up there.

Due to the bureaucratic nightmare that is the Federal govt., Mrs. Clutch and I will not get our Out West pre-portugal last tour of america trip. I will be sure to bump this thread in 2 years when I come back. Sounds awesome, hope to recreate your trip some day.

I'm going to the Tetons next summer with our boy scout troop for a week. Camping out for a week is not as great as it sounds at this age but I'm still looking forward to it.

Good to hear! What did you get at the Gun Barrel? Did you end up doing the Tram and getting the kids a waffle at the top? I imagine there's still a ton of snow up there.

Elk Chops.

Yup. Took the tram and got the waffles and what a view. Lots of snow on the ground last week with lows in the high 20's but temps have finally spiked and the melt is on high speed now.

Tentatively planning a trip to this area for summer 2020. A friend mentioned buying an annual national park pass to avoid paying at each stop - thoughts?

yeah get the annual pass. The two parks (GT and Yellow) are $35 each and the annual is $80 so just get the annual in case you go other places in 'Merica.

Based out of Pinedale for a backpacking trip in the Wind Rivers a few years ago. That was a good trip.

Back