• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Notre Dame on fire

No foul play, right? Just a super old tinder box with bunch of candles and wood and stuff?

They were doing construction work on the ceiling or roof and it's believed that is what caused the fire.

I rarely agree with Donald Trump but water drops would make sense? The Seine is right there.....maybe they don't have the equipment?

France has two air tankers, but the Seine is curvy and they need a long straight body of water to refill while in flight, or return to the base each time to fill up. The better option is to drop a suction line into the river and pump water via engines directly onto the fire.

No foul play, right? Just a super old tinder box with bunch of candles and wood and stuff?

sounds like it started with the renovation/construction going on

Asst Mayor of Paris just released a statement saying it started in the Spire, which has since collapsed.

Now they are trying to save as many "priceless works" as possible

Reports from the crews on scene is that the water supply around the Cathedral isn't great, which means they're either going to have to water shuttle or lay an extremely long supply line. With the fire load within the structure unless they were on scene when the fire started, there's little to no hope of stopping it with the available water on hand.

The flow path of the fire is mind blowingly fast, and they're dealing with constant 15-20 mph winds.

Reports from the crews on scene is that the water supply around the Cathedral isn't great, which means they're either going to have to water shuttle or lay an extremely long supply line. With the fire load within the structure unless they were on scene when the fire started, there's little to no hope of stopping it with the available water on hand.

The flow path of the fire is mind blowingly fast, and they're dealing with constant 15-20 mph winds.

Watching the live feed it looks like they only have a couple hoses on the building from the sides. I saw some firefighters up in the front towers, so maybe they're working to prevent the fire from spreading there. The center/interior looks like a complete loss though.

I've not been there, but the streets around the cathedral are supposedly narrow and their 100' aerials are no where near tall enough.

Wo4Ekfc.jpg

Good thing they have plenty more stockpiles of stolen priceless art that they can continue to leverage to fund the kid touching.

@realDonaldTrump: So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!

aren't water tankers usually used on forest fires to disperse water over the widest area vs. targeted water hoses?

they just said the Paris FD doesn't want to drop water from the air as they fear the structure itself would collapse from the water falling and make matters worse

they just said the Paris FD doesn't want to drop water from the air as they fear the structure itself would collapse from the water falling and make matters worse

Have they spoken to the President?

my guess is the contractor has a large bond but nothing in the realm of covering the building for basically a total loss. i'm not even sure how you would insure such a building except for demolition costs. the catholic church and the french government are on the hook

Last edited:
i'd be curious to know what the plan was to remove the priceless artifacts in the event of a fire. think they drilled that on a regular basis?

Relics at the cathedral include the crown of thorns and a piece of the cross.

Back