• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Notre Dame on fire

Relics at the cathedral include the crown of thorns and a piece of the cross.

Guarded by this guy.
latest

No wonder the shit went up. That's like lighting a torch inside another, bigger torch.

Do these really old buildings not get retrofitted with a sprinkler system?

Just too difficult to accomplish or some other reason?

Relics at the cathedral include the crown of thorns and a piece of the cross.

You'd think they'd have things of such significance and fragility locked in the vaults at the Vatican.

Do these really old buildings not get retrofitted with a sprinkler system?

Just too difficult to accomplish or some other reason?

Sprinkler systems don’t really put out fires. They suppress the fire long enough to get people out of the building. Tell me if I’m wrong here, tsy.

I guess so. They're gone now. I wonder if they're authentic? Can pieces of wood and vine hold up for 2000 years?

they come with a certificate of authenticity and everything

French ambassador to the US just said on MSNBC that he has heard that the Thorn crown was saved

that's after Nic Cage swapped it out with a gift store replica tho

gotta find jesus' buried treasure

Wood can last 2000 years and much longer. Pretty sure that the oldest wooden artifacts are hundreds of thousands of years old. Living trees are over 2k

RJ is 65 and can't get wood.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard from RJ or did I accidently ban him ?

Sprinkler systems don’t really put out fires. They suppress the fire long enough to get people out of the building. Tell me if I’m wrong here, tsy.
It's all dependent on the water supply and pressure. Some are designed to fully extinguish, but you are correct that most just have the capacity to keep the fire in check to make it a survivable space until fire and rescue can get there to extinguish or rescue.

Most older structures are protected by historic preservation trusts that limit the amount of new or retrofitting work that can be done. They view it as destroying the aesthetics and charm of the older structures by having exposed piping, and I can't blame them.

Most church or cathedral fires are a surround, drown, and contain situation. There are too many flammable materials per square foot inside those buildings, coupled with a lot of exposed wooden beam construction, make it a death trap for firefighters.

Yeah, not every sprinkler system is the same and not every fire is the same.

Anyone blaming a muslim yet? Someone's gotta be on fox speculating somewhere.

Gonna be a unpopular opinion but, as long as nobody died or was seriously injured I have no problem with anything related to the catholic church getting burnt to the ground.

Back